• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbs77

dorliska, I have been going throught the process since september 02 and have passed the physicals. I have 20/200 correctable to 20/20 according to the Navy, and just took the astb the other day on which I scored 7/9/7. I also scored a 286 pft recently. I want to go with an Aviation contract either Pilot or NFO.
The drawback is that I have four waivers: one for trying pot, one for speeding tickets, one for stealing when I was 13, and one for having a dependent. So what do you think my chances are of getting selected for October.

Thanks

Semper Fi, Do or Die, Gung-ho Gung-ho Gung-ho

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by wanaBpilot
What happened to your eyes? I'm concerned in this area. I got selected for sna with 20-40(minus two) when the requirement is 20-40(minus zero) I'm concerned that I'll be dropped later because of this. If I've already been selected, am I safe with my eyesight with the way it is, or does it need to be better for a later eyecheck, lemme know, thanks!

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

You should be fine until you get to your API physical in Pensacola. Don't do a lot of close up reading / computer work the week before. . . . drink LOTS of fluids . . take vitamins. . get 9 hours of sleep the day before. .. .Bust out 20/40 (get them all squint if you need to). . and then you are good to go. After that physical and that dude checks your eyes. .you get to get out to 20/100. . .whew.

Good luck

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
Thanks, good gouge to know, I'll do all that plus some. I'm trying a new thing called the see clearly method, basically exercises for the eyes, hopefully it will help me out. If not, and I get SNFO instead of SNA, atleast I know I'll get to ride in an F-18 for sure. The only thing that sucks is there is no use for it after I'm out of Marines. Pilots can fly for airlines, what can SNFO's do?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I've heard NFO meaning = "No Future on Outside"
I'm going to have to probably apply as SNFO too. Others on this board have told me that it's all about what you make of it after you are out of the Marines. Anyone else?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

jrklr

You can still get the hours required for the airlines if your an NFO, the only catch is that you'll probably have to do it on your own outside of your job. Just because your not a pilot in the service doesn't mean your disqualified from the airlines. I've also heard of NFO's working in the Pentagon, CIA, etc. after they're out.

andrew

Originally posted by dorliska
I am a 2nd Lt. in the Marine Corps stationed at The Basic School right now. On July 1st I leave here to report to Pensacola for NFO training. If anyone has any questions about what you have to do to get into aviation in the Marine Corps or what it is like going through all the grunt training at OCS and TBS, just drop me a line. I actually used to be a pilot contract until my eyesight crapped out on me and I am in the process of trying to get PRK with the Marines. But right now I am an NFO contract. I know a great deal about the matter though so just drop me a line. Also, if there are any Marine NFO's out there, I have some questions for you. email: c4dor4@earthlink.net

NuSnake

thats great man, you know how to copy a quote, awesome!!!!

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
LOL

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

hotshotgunship

jrkl is right. If you become an NFO, you are going to have experience with some of the most sophisticated AVIONICS in the world. That will show quite well on the resume. But you do have fly on you own time. Pending on where you're stationed, you might be able to qualify for military discounts on civilian flight instruction. WannaBpilot, just remember that your career won't end just because you can't fly for the military. I have alot of friends that fly for regional airlines right now, and most of them went the civilian way (they just in alot of debt from student loans). The main thing that counts is that you were in the military before. That shows a alot of gratitude amongst the employers. If you become an NFO instead of a pilot, but have alot of civilian flight hours, along with you ratings, you will look just as well walking into an airline interview. The point is, is that you did serve the time in the military. You will see the difference when you get looking for civilian jobs. I have to tell you, even though I don't make it in a flight program, I have alternatives in the service such as NFO, even a gunner on a chopper is fine with me. ****, I will even be a tank commander if all else fails. As long as two things: 1. I get commissioned in the service. That will automatically show up quite well on a resume especially as being an officer (A leader!!!!!) 2. I get a chance to serve for my country. I don't mean to sound too GUN HO, but its another personal achievement in your life. Think about it, if you can survive 13 weeks in marine boot camp, you can be capable of doing just about anything you want to do. But don't let something like not being be able to do exactly what you want to do passify as being a waist of time. Taking a few years to do some service will only work for the best of you. Most government jobs require that you have some military experience. If you can't fly, then find alternatives, explore what else you might find appealing. If there is nothing else you want to do then to fly an F-18 off an aircraft carrier, then you might be putting all you eggs in one basket. Don't do it!!!! Leave room for adjustments, and don't think if you don't get to fly for Marines/Navy that you waisting your time. What else you gonna do!!!!! take advantage of the other things military life has to offer, and plan the rest of life out with ease. I have a year and half left of school before I graduate from college, and I have already planned for other ways to get my flight hours if I can't fly for the military. I'am however; am getting ready to start the process of getting in the military. I'm gonna try my damndest to get into the flight program, but if I can't, I'm still gonna become a Marine for a few years and work on my flight training while I'm active. Thanks for taking the time read this.

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply, I do appreciate it. I do want to clear up one thing though. If I do get NFO, I'll still be in the air, and I will be just as happy as pilot. Just like you, I want to serve my country more than anything. So if I don't get to fly, yes I'll be a little dissappointed, but who wouldn't be? Getting so close, then finding out at the last minute your getting something else. But in the long run, I know I'll enjoy getting to travel, and making stronger friendships than I could anywhere else. I'm excited to go in and put foot to ass for my country. NFO or Pilot, I'm happy either way, there is nothing like being in the air, and serving your country at the same time!!!

basher

Hey Dorliska,

Do you have any idea what the average pipeline selection situation looks like currently in the Corps. As far as people going jets, helos, or prop?

basher

Hey Dorliska,

Forgot to ask before. How was OCS with the Marines. Was it what you expected (better or worse)?

Crowbar

None
So if you think being a Marine Officer sounds like it's for you, with aviation as your main job of course, then look into it. Don't worry though, you mainly just fly, only switching to a ground job after a few years, and that ground job (B billet) doesn't have to be grunt stuff or anything.

I'm just curious to know where you got this information. Before you start, no I am not a pilot, but I have spent fully 1/3 of my life in the Marine Corps, in the Air Wing. So I do know a little bit. As far as, "You mainly just fly", I hope you already know that you will have a ground job that will occupy most of your time. You don't fly every day. Also, as far as "That ground job (B billet) doesn't have to be grunt stuff or anything", read some messages around here. There is a lot of debate about the pros and cons of being a FAC (a common B billet). Disregard all that and think about what a FAC does. They are attached to an infantry (grunt) battalion. They work with the infantry (grunts). So it might be a little more "grunt" than you think.

Also you should look up and read a Medal of Honor Citation for Captain Henry Elrod of VMF-211.

Not to burst your bubble or try to smack you around, but lots of people come in thinking, "I can just do my job and I don't have to worry about that Marine stuff anymore." Coming from avionics, I saw a ton of that. "Why are you making me PT and do humps? I'm not a grunt!" I used to think that. Then I got picked to do security for an embassy evacuation in Freetown, Sierra Leone. Holy ****, maybe I should have paid attention a little more attention at the School of Infantry instead of thinking about avionics school and how cool life would be in the Air Wing. I won't get on a rant of "You're a Marine first, by God" but sometimes it's easy to forget the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.