• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board Nov 20

Triumph_MAC

Hey, current 1830 here! There may be multiple reasons for non-select. Our community is small and therefore able to be more selective with applicants. Having both your bachelors and masters is a plus, but things like LOR's weigh heavily with Millington. You have stated that you have some LOR's from an NSA/ NGA Analyst and some college professors, but is the 05 LOR from an 1830? I would reach out to additional 1830's to beef those up. Quality over quantity. Additionally, if you are still active duty, have you talked to your command about a possible no-cost TAD to an Intel heavy command? This may be harder in Covid times but could really beef up your packet and prove to the CM how serious you are. Let me know if you have any specific 1830 questions.
Aloha and good afternoon Sir,
My LOR's are from my direct chain of command up to my XO. They are all medical officers but speak directly to my performance and leadership. Do you feel those LORs would be just as favored as an LOR from an 1830?

exNavyOffRec

I had 1830 as my third choice after SNA and SNFO. Do you think that will impact my chances? I heard that some designators won't entertain if it's not 1st or 2nd.
It can impact your chances, IWC is small and selective and they can and have discounted those who put an IWC designator anything other than 1st choice, for a long time it was a given that if you weren't putting IWC as first choice no reason to submit, they lightened up on that though.

Triumph_MAC

It can impact your chances, IWC is small and selective and they can and have discounted those who put an IWC designator anything other than 1st choice, for a long time it was a given that if you weren't putting IWC as first choice no reason to submit, they lightened up on that though.
Hopefully they lightened up a lot, at least for this board. I appreciate the insight on that. I had a waiver for my OAR but hopefully that doesn't hold much against me. Based on what you have mentioned, OAR is just the ticket to the dance but waivers can also be an easy way to non-select a package if the quotas are small.

exNavyOffRec

Hopefully they lightened up a lot, at least for this board. I appreciate the insight on that. I had a waiver for my OAR but hopefully that doesn't hold much against me. Based on what you have mentioned, OAR is just the ticket to the dance but waivers can also be an easy way to non-select a package if the quotas are small.

you have very high GPA's, if you get picked we know that having IWC as 3rd wasn't an issue, if you aren't picked then it could still be that way.

notacoverband

Good evening all! As now we wait I came up with something to do in the meantime. I saw this excel on a SWO forum and was so impressed I decided to make one for us. Please take a moment to fill it out so afterward we can get a better picture of how things really went.

30 NOV 20 IWC OCS SPREADSHEET

Big thanks to Chuckdan for the base template. I did edit a few categories I thought more pertinent to our board. ***Any issues or suggestions please shoot me a PM and I'll take a look.

notacoverband

On a totally unrelated note, looking at the requirements for the different designators if I didn't know better I'd say I best fit into the Intel designator, and that's the one I've really looked into the least because I always heard how competitive that is. Have I made a mistake by putting that as my 3rd choice? Is Intel more competitive than CWO or IP?

Triumph_MAC

On a totally unrelated note, looking at the requirements for the different designators if I didn't know better I'd say I best fit into the Intel designator, and that's the one I've really looked into the least because I always heard how competitive that is. Have I made a mistake by putting that as my 3rd choice? Is Intel more competitive than CWO or IP?
I have 1830 down as my third choice as well behind SNA and NFO. exNavyOff addressed that on a post I had made earlier.

"It can impact your chances, IWC is small and selective and they can and have discounted those who put an IWC designator anything other than 1st choice, for a long time it was a given that if you weren't putting IWC as first choice no reason to submit, they lightened up on that though"

"you have very high GPA's, if you get picked we know that having IWC as 3rd wasn't an issue, if you aren't picked then it could still be that way."
[/QUOTE]

notacoverband

I have 1830 down as my third choice as well behind SNA and NFO. exNavyOff addressed that on a post I had made earlier.

"It can impact your chances, IWC is small and selective and they can and have discounted those who put an IWC designator anything other than 1st choice, for a long time it was a given that if you weren't putting IWC as first choice no reason to submit, they lightened up on that though"

"you have very high GPA's, if you get picked we know that having IWC as 3rd wasn't an issue, if you aren't picked then it could still be that way."
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the quick reply! I had IW, then IP, then Intel is what I meant. I have seen the 3rd choice debate but not sure if it applies when its all in the same community. And I'm bored and tired of waiting already lol

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Are you referring to the IWC as is currently known, i.e., the combination of 1800 (OCEANO), 1810 (CW), 1820 (IP), 1830 (INTEL), and 1840 (CWE) designators? Or are you referring to the previous IWC, now known as the Cryptologic Warfare Community (CWC) - 1810's?

Either way, I want to stress that the importance of things like order of desired designators is going to vary based on board members. However, it's highly unlikely that it would outweigh a stellar application, sustained superior performance (SSP), and ideal candidate background/education.

exNavyOffRec

Are you referring to the IWC as is currently known, i.e., the combination of 1800 (OCEANO), 1810 (CW), 1820 (IP), 1830 (INTEL), and 1840 (CWE) designators? Or are you referring to the previous IWC, now known as the Cryptologic Warfare Community (CWC) - 1810's?

Either way, I want to stress that the importance of things like order of desired designators is going to vary based on board members. However, it's highly unlikely that it would outweigh a stellar application, sustained superior performance (SSP), and ideal candidate background/education.
IWC as a whole.

What the board looks for rarely changes, sometimes there are minor differences but when you look at 10 years or more of stats the picture that is painted is the same.

They at times have even put out info to the NRD's saying only those who put their community designator 1st or 2nd will be considered, for a while SWO put out that only those who put SWO 1st will be reviewed.

Small communities can be very picky. IWC and Supply communities tend to be the pickiest.

Triumph_MAC

IWC as a whole.

What the board looks for rarely changes, sometimes there are minor differences but when you look at 10 years or more of stats the picture that is painted is the same.

They at times have even put out info to the NRD's saying only those who put their community designator 1st or 2nd will be considered, for a while SWO put out that only those who put SWO 1st will be reviewed.

Small communities can be very picky. IWC and Supply communities tend to be the pickiest.
On the GENOFF dashboard, theres a section that mentions maximum 1st & 2nd choice kits allowed, current 1st and 2nd choice kits awaiting etc.. is that referring to the designator preference?