• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board Nov 20

If I apply for multiple designators on my OCS application will I receive the results for all boards at once, or will I know the results from one board before the application goes to the next board?

ccutler

If I apply for multiple designators on my OCS application will I receive the results for all boards at once, or will I know the results from one board before the application goes to the next board?
I’m a civilian applying so someone can correct me, but when I spoke with my OR she said that when you apply for multiple designators your application will be sent to those respective boards. Ideally, whenever those boards meet the one that convened first will notify your OR first. However, these boards from what I’m reading are quite arbitrary about when they release results so that may or may not always be the case. I’m also a civilian so it may be different for active duty. But basically I doubt that two boards of different designators will release results to your OR at the same time. That would be really nice though lol

Yeah I was just curious because I will take either but when the boards are months apart I was not sure if I would hear results from the first or after the second ones post. Thanks!!

Ancalagon

Your recruiter will find out the results from each individual board, once they're released. So expect to find out one-by-one for each designator.

PhillipC

This is my 4th time applying for 1830 and have now added 1160 to that to improve chances of being selected for OCS. here are some of my stats for my application:

Navy: 8yrs AZ1
Awards: NAMx2 FLOCx2
Bachelors: Criminal Justice-Homeland Security and Emergency Management (GPA 3.77)
Masters: Homeland Security-Cybersecurity Policy (GPA 4.00)
OAR: 47
Appraisals: 2 O6's, 2 O4's
LOR: O5, NSA Analysts, NGA Analysts, College Professorsx2

Each time I have applied there have been small errors like grammar or spelling that were not caught until after submission. everything is perfect on this one and I am hoping for the best. The issue I have is an arrest I got back in 2009 prior to my military service. It was a class C misdemeanor for marijuana and I paid a $350 fine. My lawyer told me this was expunged, therefor on all my applications for clearance and even getting in the military I put no criminal record. However, I recently googled my name and the record was still there.... should this be on my application and could this be the reason for non-selections? I have been in 8 yrs and already have a clearance so either no one looked or they didn't care. Any thoughts on how I should pursue this????

Hey, current 1830 here! There may be multiple reasons for non-select. Our community is small and therefore able to be more selective with applicants. Having both your bachelors and masters is a plus, but things like LOR's weigh heavily with Millington. You have stated that you have some LOR's from an NSA/ NGA Analyst and some college professors, but is the 05 LOR from an 1830? I would reach out to additional 1830's to beef those up. Quality over quantity. Additionally, if you are still active duty, have you talked to your command about a possible no-cost TAD to an Intel heavy command? This may be harder in Covid times but could really beef up your packet and prove to the CM how serious you are. Let me know if you have any specific 1830 questions.

exNavyOffRec

Hey, current 1830 here! There may be multiple reasons for non-select. Our community is small and therefore able to be more selective with applicants. Having both your bachelors and masters is a plus, but things like LOR's weigh heavily with Millington. You have stated that you have some LOR's from an NSA/ NGA Analyst and some college professors, but is the 05 LOR from an 1830? I would reach out to additional 1830's to beef those up. Quality over quantity. Additionally, if you are still active duty, have you talked to your command about a possible no-cost TAD to an Intel heavy command? This may be harder in Covid times but could really beef up your packet and prove to the CM how serious you are. Let me know if you have any specific 1830 questions.
The IWC community used to put out pretty good stats after every board, not that the stats really changed in 10 years but it was nice to continue to see how things were going.

PhillipC

The IWC community used to put out pretty good stats after every board, not that the stats really changed in 10 years but it was nice to continue to see how things were going.

Were they reporting desired interests for that specific board? Or just general stats? Either way, I'm sure the priorities have shifted a little with the shift in the great powers competition.

exNavyOffRec

Were they reporting desired interests for that specific board? Or just general stats? Either way, I'm sure the priorities have shifted a little with the shift in the great powers competition.

it gave the average GPA, who was picked with tech and non tech degrees, what percent had grad degrees, and much more, it was broken down by each designator, Intel, CW, IP, SWO-CW, SWO-IP, Oceano, SWO-Oceano

The data had remained nearly the same for 10 years, last year when I asked a friend NRC was keeping the basic same stats and nothing had changed.

Average GPA for all was about 3.5
Intel more likely to take non-tech degree while any other designator not likely at all but there would be a few.
Grad degrees help especially if the person had a very good UG GPA and degree
being prior enlisted in a IWC rate is a wild card factor
Interviews for civilians not really a factor, very important for those in a IWC rate as the officer can talk specifically about their performance. This goes back to what a Captain told me years ago on how the board viewed LOR's from non-supervisors, he said "anyone can blow smoke for 30 minutes to get a good LOR"

Fitzou

Applied for 1820

CTI1 8 years active duty
IW/AW/NAC
Evals: MP, P, EP, MP
Awards: JCOM, NAM
Undergraduate: 3.0, Business Admin and Language Studies
Graduate: 3.7, Computer Science (in progress)
OAR: 53
Appraisals: x1 O-6 (1820), x3 O-5 (1820), x1 O-4 (1820)—all 10s
LORs: O-6 (1810, prev CO), O-5 (USAF, prev OIC), O-4 (1810, prev DH), O-3 (1820, IP mentor)
Certs: Sec+
Additional items: LPO at sea and shore, Instructor experience, ACFL, CFS

Hopefully my undergrad GPA and/or OAR doesn’t hurt me too much… maybe being enlisted in the IWC might help but not counting on it.

I had a 2.3 undergrad GPA with a 3.91 Graduate GPA and was a PROREC-Y on the June board for IP 1820. My OAR was a 54, so close to yours.

When do you finish your Masters?

jetphiltx

My recruiter let me know I was currently moved from the September board to the November board for Intel, so I'm assuming my application is in the pile for the IWC Board Nov 20. After reading some of these posts, I seem to be lacking an essential piece of the pie - Officer interviews. I've had none, but one thing I've noticed as well - all of the posters here that mentioned interviews are currently AD in the Navy or at the very least prior AD. Since I'm a civilian, is that why I've never had an interview with any Officers? Maybe I should contact my recruiter for a quick check-in tomorrow as well to be sure everything is on the up-and-up.

Ancalagon

My recruiter let me know I was currently moved from the September board to the November board for Intel, so I'm assuming my application is in the pile for the IWC Board Nov 20. After reading some of these posts, I seem to be lacking an essential piece of the pie - Officer interviews. I've had none, but one thing I've noticed as well - all of the posters here that mentioned interviews are currently AD in the Navy or at the very least prior AD. Since I'm a civilian, is that why I've never had an interview with any Officers? Maybe I should contact my recruiter for a quick check-in tomorrow as well to be sure everything is on the up-and-up.

Yeah, civilians applying don't have to get any "officer appraisals". That only applies to people who are currently in the military that are applying to Navy OCS.

Civilians and prior service only need recommendation letters.

CWO_change

Yeah, civilians applying don't have to get any "officer appraisals". That only applies to people who are currently in the military that are applying to Navy OCS.

Civilians and prior service only need recommendation letters.

True. If you're able to get one, I say great. But, if not, it shouldn't kill your application as a civilian. When I was applying back in 2014, my OR told me that getting an officer appraisal would help my chances. Thankfully, one of the deans at my grad school was an intel reservist O-5 who was able to give me an officer appraisal.