• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board Nov 20

Hey everyone! I just got my package submitted this week. Nervous and excited.

Submitted for: 1830 Intel (I've been in too long to apply for 1810, I just passed my 6yr mark)
Degree: BA International Studies with a minor in Asian Studies (3.01 GPA)
OAR: 55
Background/TIS: 1yr as a contractor in DIA, 6yrs as a CTT in Navy (current E5, 2 NIOC commands, 1 TDY on a Carrier)
LoR: 2 O-5's, and 1 O-6.
Interview Appraisals: 4 O-4's, all perfect scores from Intel and IW officers (I also have 5 other Interview Appraisals from O-4's from my previous submissions with perfect scores)
EVALS: All EP and MP (My last one I was rated #1 in my department)
Awards: 2 NAM'S, 1 JSOQ, 1 Good Conduct
Language: 2yrs of Japanese (College), 2yrs of Mandarin (online classes)

This is my 3rd time applying for OCS program. I feel like I have a better chance with a 2nd command under my belt and more experience in the Navy. I'm nervous because I know my GPA is average and 1830 is notoriously hard to get in.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone! I just got my package submitted this week. Nervous and excited.

Submitted for: 1830 Intel (I've been in too long to apply for 1810, I just passed my 6yr mark)
Degree: BA International Studies with a minor in Asian Studies (3.01 GPA)
OAR: 55
Background/TIS: 1yr as a contractor in DIA, 6yrs as a CTT in Navy (current E5, 2 NIOC commands, 1 TDY on a Carrier)
LoR: 2 O-5's, and 1 O-6.
Interview Appraisals: 4 O-4's, all perfect scores from Intel and IW officers (I also have 5 other Interview Appraisals from O-4's from my previous submissions with perfect scores)
EVALS: All EP and MP (My last one I was rated #1 in my department)
Awards: 2 NAM'S, 1 JSOQ, 1 Good Conduct
Language: 2yrs of Japanese (College), 2yrs of Mandarin (online classes)

This is my 3rd time applying for OCS program. I feel like I have a better chance with a 2nd command under my belt and more experience in the Navy. I'm nervous because I know my GPA is average and 1830 is notoriously hard to get in.
The fact you are in the IWC community will be a wild card, your GPA will be a bit of a ding since the average tends to be 3.5 and you would be more fitted for 1830 than 1810 with your degree.

notacoverband

Here are my stats:
CTI3, 3.5 years in the Navy (1 MP, 1 NOB and 1 PMA eval)
36 years old
Male
OAR 58
Masters Degree in Education (3.79), Bachelors in Math and History (2.69)
IA: O5 10's, 4 X O4 10's, CO review all 10's
LOR: O6

Reconsideration Package adding my first eval and about 100 hours of online classes. Rewrote everything this time with the hopes of showing them more of who I am, not just what I've done.

Last edited:

lankwa

Hello. I created a post to check in with everyone and was redirected here! Happy to see this already exists. I submitted to the 1830 (INTEL) and 1810 (Cryptologic Warfare) designators in the Information Warfare Community. Hopefully I am fortunate enough to join you at OCS at some point in the future.

My application details are as follows:

Navy: 3 years Active Duty (E-3)
Language: 2+/2+/2 Modern Standard Arabic
Bachelors: Louisiana State University - BS International Trade and Finance (3.0 GPA)
Masters: Johns Hopkins University SAIS - MA international Relations (3.4 GPA)
OAR: 49
Officer Interviews: O-9 Ret. (1830), O-9 Ret. (SEAL), O-6 (1830), O-5 (1810)
LOR: O-8 Ret. (1830), Sitting Governor from Home State (Fmr. Ranger O), Mentor (Fmr. SEAL O)

avmar

Hello. I created a post to check in with everyone and was redirected here! Happy to see this already exists. I submitted to the 1830 (INTEL) and 1810 (Cryptologic Warfare) designators in the Information Warfare Community. Hopefully I am fortunate enough to join you at OCS at some point in the future.

Bachelors: Louisiana State University - BS International Trade and Finance (3.0 GPA)
LOR: O-8 Ret. (1830), Sitting Governor from Home State (Fmr. Ranger O), Mentor (Fmr. SEAL O)

Wow! Those are some impressive interviews and LORs! Based on what my recruiter has told me recently, things like that can really increase your chances.
I hope to see you at OCS as well!

CWO_change

The work sounds fun, but I want a chance to be stationed somewhere other than Maryland.
ODS would be nice though!

CWEs are stationed at other places than Maryland, to include in Hawaii, though most likely are in Maryland at NCWDG or Fort Meade.

exNavyOffRec

you probably have a better shot at getting picked up INTEL with a non tech degree and GPA that are lower than the average of those typically selected, the graduate degree will help though, the language doesn't really do much at all as you are going for an officer position not an enlisted linguist position

AULANI

I think for 1830 it goes like this:
Master's GPA > Undergrad GPA > OAR > Intelligence Experience > LORs > Interviews

Those last three can probably be in any order though.

exNavyOffRec

I think for 1830 it goes like this:
Master's GPA > Undergrad GPA > OAR > Intelligence Experience > LORs > Interviews

Those last three can probably be in any order though.
I would remove OAR, but for the most part would say accurate order, given the stats of the average person selected I would say by the time they get to Intelligence Experience they have found most of the people to select.

BasketballisLife

Good morning all, long time lurker here. I submitted my application for this board as well (1830). I am hoping for the best.

Navy: 5 years Active Duty; 3 years Reserves (8 years altogether); E-5
Awards: NAM, JSOQ, Good Conduct (2). EP's on last three years of Evals.
Bachelors: Georgia State University - BA History (3.2 GPA). Member of University basketball team all four years.
Masters: Yale University - MA Global Affairs (3.4 GPA)
OAR: 50
Officer Interviews: O-6 (1830), O-6 (1830), O-5 (1830), O-4 (1830)
LOR/Endorsements: O-9 (1160), O-8 (1390), O-6 (1830), O-4 (1830), and the Dean from my Master's program.

Based on what I've seen form other posts on past boards, is it fair to assume results will come out anywhere between 1-3 months after the November 30 convening date?

lankwa

Good morning all, long time lurker here. I submitted my application for this board as well (1830). I am hoping for the best.

Navy: 5 years Active Duty; 3 years Reserves (8 years altogether); E-5
Awards: NAM, JSOQ, Good Conduct (2). EP's on last three years of Evals.
Bachelors: Georgia State University - BA History (3.2 GPA). Member of University basketball team all four years.
Masters: Yale University - MA Global Affairs (3.4 GPA)
OAR: 50
Officer Interviews: O-6 (1830), O-6 (1830), O-5 (1830), O-4 (1830)
LOR/Endorsements: O-9 (1160), O-8 (1390), O-6 (1830), O-4 (1830), and the Dean from my Master's program.

Based on what I've seen form other posts on past boards, is it fair to assume results will come out anywhere between 1-3 months after the November 30 convening date?

I really hope it isn't on the 3 month side of that estimate. I am set to transfer in December from my current command but have no orders as of today. If I receive them, I am under the impression I will be held at my current command until the Board renders a decision. Any one have any information on this? Either way, I hope I am not stuck in limbo here for 3 months... good luck to you! You should be proud of the package you submitted.

BasketballisLife

I really hope it isn't on the 3 month side of that estimate. I am set to transfer in December from my current command but have no orders as of today. If I receive them, I am under the impression I will be held at my current command until the Board renders a decision. Any one have any information on this? Either way, I hope I am not stuck in limbo here for 3 months... good luck to you! You should be proud of the package you submitted.

I would imagine your current command would hold on to you until results are released. My guess is it's all circumstantial pending on if you're gaining command is undermanned or if it's mission critical. I'd imagine @exNavyOffRec can offer better guidance on this as well. The past several months of my lurking suggests that he would have a better idea on how your situation might play out.

I do work in Millington and have a mentor out here that has been part of these selection boards before. I'll bring up your question to him when I get to the office Monday and let you know what he says if you don't get an answer on here over the weekend.

And I appreciate the kind words. Good luck to you as well :)

lankwa

I would imagine your current command would hold on to you until results are released. My guess is it's all circumstantial pending on if you're gaining command is undermanned or if it's mission critical. I'd imagine @exNavyOffRec can offer better guidance on this as well. The past several months of my lurking suggests that he would have a better idea on how your situation might play out.

I do work in Millington and have a mentor out here that has been part of these selection boards before. I'll bring up your question to him when I get to the office Monday and let you know what he says if you don't get an answer on here over the weekend.

And I appreciate the kind words. Good luck to you as well :)

Yeah that would be greatly appreciated. According to the Instruction, "Applicants for OCS/ODS receiving permanent change of station orders for execution subsequent to applying for this program should not be transferred until officially notified of selection or non-selection. If a transfer directive is received, the CO shall notify the orders originating authority that the individual has applied for selection for the OCS/ODS Program and that orders are being held in abeyance until notification of selection or non-selection."

But @exNavyOffRec may be able to provide some information on that as well.