• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board Nov 20

exNavyOffRec

Yeah that would be greatly appreciated. According to the Instruction, "Applicants for OCS/ODS receiving permanent change of station orders for execution subsequent to applying for this program should not be transferred until officially notified of selection or non-selection. If a transfer directive is received, the CO shall notify the orders originating authority that the individual has applied for selection for the OCS/ODS Program and that orders are being held in abeyance until notification of selection or non-selection."

But @exNavyOffRec may be able to provide some information on that as well.

You should communicate with your detailer, I dealt with civilians and reservist.

This is my 4th time applying for 1830 and have now added 1160 to that to improve chances of being selected for OCS. here are some of my stats for my application:

Navy: 8yrs AZ1
Awards: NAMx2 FLOCx2
Bachelors: Criminal Justice-Homeland Security and Emergency Management (GPA 3.77)
Masters: Homeland Security-Cybersecurity Policy (GPA 4.00)
OAR: 47
Appraisals: 2 O6's, 2 O4's
LOR: O5, NSA Analysts, NGA Analysts, College Professorsx2

Each time I have applied there have been small errors like grammar or spelling that were not caught until after submission. everything is perfect on this one and I am hoping for the best. The issue I have is an arrest I got back in 2009 prior to my military service. It was a class C misdemeanor for marijuana and I paid a $350 fine. My lawyer told me this was expunged, therefor on all my applications for clearance and even getting in the military I put no criminal record. However, I recently googled my name and the record was still there.... should this be on my application and could this be the reason for non-selections? I have been in 8 yrs and already have a clearance so either no one looked or they didn't care. Any thoughts on how I should pursue this????

exNavyOffRec

This is my 4th time applying for 1830 and have now added 1160 to that to improve chances of being selected for OCS. here are some of my stats for my application:

Bachelors: Criminal Justice-Homeland Security and Emergency Management (GPA 3.77)

Each time I have applied there have been small errors like grammar or spelling that were not caught until after submission. everything is perfect on this one and I am hoping for the best. The issue I have is an arrest I got back in 2009 prior to my military service. It was a class C misdemeanor for marijuana and I paid a $350 fine. My lawyer told me this was expunged, therefor on all my applications for clearance and even getting in the military I put no criminal record. However, I recently googled my name and the record was still there.... should this be on my application and could this be the reason for non-selections? I have been in 8 yrs and already have a clearance so either no one looked or they didn't care. Any thoughts on how I should pursue this????

You have a very high GPA so even with a non-tech degree you should have a chance, however you are going for a position where it is very selective and sought after so often very good candidates don't get picked.

They go through the application fairly fast so a minor spelling issue won't shut you down.

There is no such thing as expunged when it comes to the federal government and yes you need to disclose it, however that would not be much of an issue at all now.

SWO should really increase you chances for selection.

zarevich

I would not think they google our names or check your criminal record if you didn't put it down on your application. To get TS clearance they only go back 10 years so you should be good by now. I do have a question for you, did you have to submit OAR waiver each time you applied or once they accept it the first time, it is good for the rest of your applications? How long did it take them to approve your waiver?

I would not think they google our names or check your criminal record if you didn't put it down on your application. To get TS clearance they only go back 10 years so you should be good by now. I do have a question for you, did you have to submit OAR waiver each time you applied or once they accept it the first time, it is good for the rest of your applications? How long did it take them to approve your waiver?
I only applied for the OAR waiver once and even with a new OCM I was told to use the original. Only took a week to get from start.

You have a very high GPA so even with a non-tech degree you should have a chance, however you are going for a position where it is very selective and sought after so often very good candidates don't get picked.

They go through the application fairly fast so a minor spelling issue won't shut you down.

There is no such thing as expunged when it comes to the federal government and yes you need to disclose it, however that would not be much of an issue at all now.

SWO should really increase you chances for selection.
I have been told many things when it comes to the boards so I was not sure what they were hitting me on or simply selecting people with experience in the field. In regards to the expungement, I just found out it was not expunged and I was basing my statements to the Navy off of what my old lawyer told me. The only thing that concerned me was I already have a clearance and have been in 8 years so I just didn't want to put it all the sudden and the board be like well why is he just now bringing this up. I am hoping that with many qualifications in the field outside of my rate my chances are higher. Currently learning Russian, have my IFPC and working on CompTIA certs. I honestly don't know what else I can do to better my chances??

zarevich

I have been told many things when it comes to the boards so I was not sure what they were hitting me on or simply selecting people with experience in the field. In regards to the expungement, I just found out it was not expunged and I was basing my statements to the Navy off of what my old lawyer told me. The only thing that concerned me was I already have a clearance and have been in 8 years so I just didn't want to put it all the sudden and the board be like well why is he just now bringing this up. I am hoping that with many qualifications in the field outside of my rate my chances are higher. Currently learning Russian, have my IFPC and working on CompTIA certs. I honestly don't know what else I can do to better my chances??
Are your appraisals from 1830? also if you are applying for SWO, it is recommended to at least have 1 appraisal for each designator you are applying but I would have 3 appraisals from 1830 if that is your main and 1 more from a SWO. Also, I would recommend retaking your OAR and shoot for 60s. That is what I am doing if not selected this cycle since I have 48 and I am pretty sure it will be the only thing dragging me down.

Yeah they are all 1830's. I will have to reach out and find a good SWO contact. I was going to retake my OAR a few years ago but got caught up on my graduate degree and just have not had the time. If I do not get selected that is more than likely what I will do as well.

exNavyOffRec

Intel is very competitive, I have seen many people who had impressive GPA's and degree's get turned down so it might not be anything negative with you, just that others were just better. The certs might help a bit, language really won't do anything.

I would say for SWO you should have an excellent chance, if you get picked then go get your SWO pin and try for lateral transfer.

When it comes to expungements and federal government it doesn't matter they still see it, I a few OR candidates who had items that were expunged and each time it popped on the background check, all were minor, some were just a few years old, some were 10 years old, the one I was surprised that popped was a kid took a pack of gum when he was 15. In my civilian job I have had a couple people freak out when items that were expunged popped on their background check, because the background check was federal, most attorney's fail to mention that the expunged item will still show on federal checks.

exNavyOffRec

Are your appraisals from 1830? also if you are applying for SWO, it is recommended to at least have 1 appraisal for each designator you are applying but I would have 3 appraisals from 1830 if that is your main and 1 more from a SWO. Also, I would recommend retaking your OAR and shoot for 60s. That is what I am doing if not selected this cycle since I have 48 and I am pretty sure it will be the only thing dragging me down.
retaking the OAR is good to get to a board sooner than 6 months but not much else, better to hold that card and use it when you need to.

lotus8296

Applied for 1820

CTI1 8 years active duty
IW/AW/NAC
Evals: MP, P, EP, MP
Awards: JCOM, NAM
Undergraduate: 3.0, Business Admin and Language Studies
Graduate: 3.7, Computer Science (in progress)
OAR: 53
Appraisals: x1 O-6 (1820), x3 O-5 (1820), x1 O-4 (1820)—all 10s
LORs: O-6 (1810, prev CO), O-5 (USAF, prev OIC), O-4 (1810, prev DH), O-3 (1820, IP mentor)
Certs: Sec+
Additional items: LPO at sea and shore, Instructor experience, ACFL, CFS

Hopefully my undergrad GPA and/or OAR doesn’t hurt me too much… maybe being enlisted in the IWC might help but not counting on it.

notacoverband

Is anyone receiving any correspondence online from the board? I have a reconsideration package in, but my NMCI account has been down for going on a month now. Was hoping it would be fixed, but its not so thinking I'm going to send them an email from my personal account today just in case.

lankwa

Is anyone receiving any correspondence online from the board? I have a reconsideration package in, but my NMCI account has been down for going on a month now. Was hoping it would be fixed, but its not so thinking I'm going to send them an email from my personal account today just in case.

I haven't received anything other than receipt of my application and confirmation that I was medically qualified.

BasketballisLife

I second what @lankwa said. I only received the confirmation of receipt of the application and the N33 letter stating "medically cleared for commissioning" from Paul Celestin.