• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

calpolyjoey

I willl be selecting out of VT-2 on Nov. 4th. As I understand it you are involved with the Meridian program. With only 35 days left, I will be putting down Jets as my first choice in either Kingsville or Meridian. I was looking for any info that might help my decision for which spot to request first. My wife will be with me, we have no kids, and she is interested in finding employment at our destination aswell. Any advice is greatly appreciated.......

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I did primary in Corpus and couldnt wait to leave El Norte Mexico. :D Not a bad place but it is isolated. Meridian is closer to everything. I personally wanted to come here for the glass cockpit. I looked into an A model 45 at an airshow last weekend and was seriously unimpressed. All steam gauges and old looking to boot. We just got our last and newest 45C about a week or so ago. Can you say new plane smell! Anyway, I think that the C model will make the transition to the hornet much easier than the Alpha guys. A bunch of my friends on the street here in housing have wives that work in numerous fields from nursing to retail, so that shouldnt be a problem. If you are really bent on TX know that meridian actually has a couple good mexican restraunts. Did I say we are closer to everything as well? Anyway, good luck on selection day.

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
EODDave - coming from "El Norte Mexico" how can you say the mexican restaurants here in Meridian are good :) I have to wonder about the place when they call their queso "cheese dip" !

airwinger

pilot
If you're a married man, I would encourage you to pick Meridian. As on any military base, only the weather would tell you if you were in Kingsville, Meridian or Timbuktu. The training pace here is pretty slow since the squadrons have too many students, and for the married prior service types it's really good shore duty.

If you are a single lad with 'fire in the belly' and feel that it'll be tough watching your peers get into the fight while you 'flop, chop drop', Kingsville would be a faster way to get to it. My TBS company(charlie 2002) was about evenly split between here and Kingsville. Most of the Kingsville lads(and even a guy who was Echo 2002) have winged. We had our first TBS classmate wing last week, two more in october and the rest are looking at December to January.

Plus like they should say in the ad "Welcome to Meridian*...except if your Jewish, colored, asian, foriegn or a damn yankee" and yes I've heard the term yankee used and not in reference to baseball. In 2004. I've also had my tires slashed, and a barber refuse to cut my hair. But then again I am a 'damn colored' to use the polite phrase.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
..heard the base housing in Meridian was a "cheater" fest, from student, instructor wives on up. Watch yourself and your spouse up there.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK, maybe good mexican restraunts was to strong. We have OK mexican food here. Atleast it is better than the frozen buritos from the corner store!

I hear that Kingsville is slowing down as well. We were supposed to graduate here in a couple weeks. Then it was Dec....Jan....Feb....Then be happy with March but expect April. Doh!!! Oh well, it all counts toward retirement and no offense but I'm not flippin burgers at Mc D's or flying a helo. :)

I've been in housing for a year and havent seen anything like that. I heard the same rumor when I first got here but I dont see it happening. Not in our area of housing. There are three areas. Staff a housing for O's, Student housing area and then base enlisted personel area. There is some mixing but not much.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
just had a buddy's wife come down from meridian this past weekend and told us the "cheating" scenario over there. but of course its just rumors..nothing solid

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Airwinger... sorry about the tires. I just got so damn tired of almost running you over on HWY 39.

petescheu

EODDave said:
I hear that Kingsville is slowing down as well. We were supposed to graduate here in a couple weeks. Then it was Dec....Jan....Feb....Then be happy with March but expect April. Doh!!!

Yeah I don't think they are in any hurry here to get Navy TS kids through. Besides, we have a huge bottle neck in Phase II right now anyways, with so many kids needing to go to the boat, and with 17 kids in ACM and 3 ACM instructors (that's in my squadron) I don't think it's going to be any big rush any time soon.

Oh yeah, and getting back to the original question... RB or anyone of rank know anything about these being the last days of S-3 slots?
Thx

airwinger

pilot
DAWGFAN, I thought as a capitalist pig you were revealing all the secrets of your imperial masters to your peace loving captors.
Actually I do miss having you try to pick me up as I go running:)

calpolyjoey

Thank you all for your advice. I just completed 5 RI flights on a crosscountry up to Atlanta. If anyone gets a chance to hit up a Brazilian restaurant named "Fugo de Chao", or something like that do it. Great fillet mignon and other meats hot off the grill. Expensive but tasty.

petescheu

UInavy said:
shoo, do you know how many navy guys are the next winging class down there?

Naw, sure don't; I'm sure it will depend a lot on how this next boat goes. Won't be a large number though, I'm sure.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Hey all, I was with calpolyjoey up in Atlanta and Fogo de Chao and that place is incredible. I was wondering what the deal is with Marines in the jet schools, how long it is taking them to class up, are they still really short on guys, etc. They seem to be sending guys out almost immediately after primary. I have only a couple of flights left here in primary and I am sitting above the jet cutoff for Marines so I am thinking I have a decent shot of making a move to Meridian or Kingsville soon. Thanks for any input.

petescheu

You should make it no problems, especially if you are high 50s NSS and above, and it's your first choice- don't worry... the marines are hurting for jet pilots right now, big time (hence the Navy-Marine xfer that's going on right now for jet pilots). Not sure where they'll send you, but if it's here to K-Rok, you'll class up fast and get through the program just as fast if not faster than any of the Navy kids. Marines are priority right now pretty much here, Navy TS kids tend to go a bit slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.