• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

Lui

OCS Applicant
Good luck to all and congrats. If I do make it I will share my package with anyone that participated and didn't make it. It wouldn't mean I know more than anyone else but anything we can do to help next year wheather selected or not is a +.

Bleh, I just spent $90 on a text book. Class starts on Monday. I couldn't wait any longer.

I know what you mean I just started pre-calculus last week. God forbid I have to submit another package, but I'm trying to be proactive on things. I used TA to taks, e an actual class, I plan on taking 2 more clep tests, 1-2 NCPACE course if I have to go underway, get ~100 more volunteer hours, and qualify senior in rate. That way I improve in every aspect. Anyone else have other recommendations?

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
I know what you mean I just started pre-calculus last week. God forbid I have to submit another package, but I'm trying to be proactive on things. I used TA to taks, e an actual class, I plan on taking 2 more clep tests, 1-2 NCPACE course if I have to go underway, get ~100 more volunteer hours, and qualify senior in rate. That way I improve in every aspect. Anyone else have other recommendations?
Looks like you're on the right track. Maybe think about adding one or more letters of recommendation for next year? It certainly couldn't hurt. Other than that, sounds like you're staying motivated to improve your package and that's the most important thing. Hopefully you don't even have to submit another package. Lord knows I'd prefer not to put together another one.

Looks like you're on the right track. Maybe think about adding one or more letters of recommendation for next year? It certainly couldn't hurt. Other than that, sounds like you're staying motivated to improve your package and that's the most important thing. Hopefully you don't even have to submit another package. Lord knows I'd prefer not to put together another one.

As an E-3 coming out of sub school I had 3 LoRs 1 from an O-6 CO of the USS Florida SSGN 728G (the boat that shot the missiles at Libya) and 2 O-4 department heads one from sub school, and the other an interim command. I wouldn't even know how to network to get any other higher ranking ones. I could get some from the department heads on my boat but they are only O-3 that being the case I'm better off with the 2 O-4s I got right?

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
As an E-3 coming out of sub school I had 3 LoRs 1 from an O-6 CO of the USS Florida SSGN 728G (the boat that shot the missiles at Libya) and 2 O-4 department heads one from sub school, and the other an interim command. I wouldn't even know how to network to get any other higher ranking ones. I could get some from the department heads on my boat but they are only O-3 that being the case I'm better off with the 2 O-4s I got right?
Yeah sounds like you're in good shape. Just a suggestion. I believe in quality, not quantity. For this year's package I got an LoR from the deputy soccent commander who is an O-8, and I discarded one from a retired O-5 that I had submitted last year (he wasn't in my rating anyway). So if you think you can "trade-up" any of your LOR's then I say it's worth a shot, but that's just one opinion of many. Good luck!

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
What's everyone doing to pass the time while waiting for results? I went to a card room to play poker for a few hours today. Still found myself checking the forum on my iPhone in between hands...

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
What's everyone doing to pass the time while waiting for results? I went to a card room to play poker for a few hours today. Still found myself checking the forum on my iPhone in between hands...
I actually came straight home to nap after I got off because I have a two hour drive to/from SEA-TAC airport to pick up a new check-in. I wont be getting home till around 0200 and have been authorized not to show up to work till 0900. I will more than likely be logged in here at 0645 from my bed haha. If you guys who are up around that time be sure to post on here if there is any news.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete

This week for me hasn't been bad. I have been in DAPA class all week, so that helped. Also, I am not really in a hurry for rejection, ha. Tomorrow will be a tough day though. I don't have access to message traffic this week. I have been relying on this forum to come up with something.

A.H.

"Billy the Kid"
If managed to pass the time with a 12hr flight schedule while underway... Also, those who make it, remember that this year will more than likely end up as the most competitive year for STA-21 to date; be proud of that fact.

DiscoMav

FY 13 STA 21 Applicant
Just a few things to add to breadandbutter's already good advice (Lord knows I wish I had a few more good LOR's): If there's anything that you can improve, e.g. ACT/SAT scores (ACT's are probably a bit easier, but realize that a lot of schools will want to see SAT's), then do so (don't know how long it's been since high school for you, but it was 10 years out for me so I needed a little help and bought an SAT study book; I needed the review). Evals, Evals, Evals... did I mention EVALS! You need to be the #1 guy (or for anyone else reading this, when applicable- gal)! Get those EP's and ensure that your Chain of Command is aware of your intention to apply for STA 21 so that they may annotate this on your eval. Sounds like you have a good start on your educational progress-- don't let qualifications fall to the wayside (remember, Evals)-- continue knocking college level courses out and maintain a high GPA. Do not overload yourself and get C's and D's-- you will need to explain this in your interviews! If you have good high school grades: first of all, good on you (wish I had applied myself a bit more), and second, you may not need to stress about the college courses as much. But keep in mind that you have to give the board-members a warm and fuzzy that you will be able to complete the necessary college courses within the allotted 3 years-- I had to take several college courses and maintain a 4.0 GPA to negate my tom-foolery in high school. And finally, PRACTICE YOUR INTERVIEWS!!! There are many good sources (just google "interview tips" or "how to") for you to nail the interviews and ensure that you are presenting your 'best self' to the interviewers. I made my wife give me an interview (she's a manager)-- after having been through the process once, you already know some of the standard questions they will ask... PRACTICE YOUR ANSWERS!!! Hope that helped and hope you don't have to worry about a 'next year'.

This year's wait hasnt been as bad for me as it was last year.....I was checking this forum and the NPC website nonstop then....This year I had my wedding to plan, so much of the time flew by.

DiscoMav

FY 13 STA 21 Applicant
Just a few things to add to breadandbutter's already good advice (Lord knows I wish I had a few more good LOR's): If there's anything that you can improve, e.g. ACT/SAT scores (ACT's are probably a bit easier, but realize that a lot of schools will want to see SAT's), then do so (don't know how long it's been since high school for you, but it was 10 years out for me so I needed a little help and bought an SAT study book; I needed the review). Evals, Evals, Evals... did I mention EVALS! You need to be the #1 guy (or for anyone else reading this, when applicable- gal)! Get those EP's and ensure that your Chain of Command is aware of your intention to apply for STA 21 so that they may annotate this on your eval. Sounds like you have a good start on your educational progress-- don't let qualifications fall to the wayside (remember, Evals)-- continue knocking college level courses out and maintain a high GPA. Do not overload yourself and get C's and D's-- you will need to explain this in your interviews! If you have good high school grades: first of all, good on you (wish I had applied myself a bit more), and second, you may not need to stress about the college courses as much. But keep in mind that you have to give the board-members a warm and fuzzy that you will be able to complete the necessary college courses within the allotted 3 years-- I had to take several college courses and maintain a 4.0 GPA to negate my tom-foolery in high school. And finally, PRACTICE YOUR INTERVIEWS!!! There are many good sources (just google "interview tips" or "how to") for you to nail the interviews and ensure that you are presenting your 'best self' to the interviewers. I made my wife give me an interview (she's a manager)-- after having been through the process once, you already know some of the standard questions they will ask... PRACTICE YOUR ANSWERS!!! Hope that helped and hope you don't have to worry about a 'next year'.
Oh yeah, and also PRTs-- be the 'whole package' applicant!