• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

omararw

FY-12 Pilot Ready to fly Navy!
Let me say congrats to those that made it for FY-12, please share your infomation so we can make our packages as strong as possible for next year. those of us that did not make it lets come together!

Adam McFarland

My husband will be submitting his second package this year. We just found out a week ago that he made sailor of the year for his command, so that is a nice addition to this year's package. I believe he will also be trying for LDO since he is 28 and does not have many more chances for STA 21. Do you think having Calculus under his belt would help a lot? I saw several others talking about that on the FY 12 thread.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
This will be my third year applying. I got selected as an alternate for SWO/ED for FY12, so next year looks promising. Hopefully I can contribute something to the group, I only discovered this site in the last couple of days and have been following it closely. I actually found out I was an alternate here! Good luck to all.

Adam McFarland

Congrats on being an alternate. I only discovered this site a couple of weeks ago. My husband checks it but I am usually the one writing. I read some posts from earlier in the year while ppl were getting their packages together and it seems like this site could be an incredible resource.

omararw

FY-12 Pilot Ready to fly Navy!
My husband will be submitting his second package this year. We just found out a week ago that he made sailor of the year for his command, so that is a nice addition to this year's package. I believe he will also be trying for LDO since he is 28 and does not have many more chances for STA 21. Do you think having Calculus under his belt would help a lot? I saw several others talking about that on the FY 12 thread.
yes they ( The board) look highly on math... i think that is why i did not even make alt, i had over 96 credits but 0 math... im work hard at getting up to Cal for FY-13. Congrats for him making SOY, I have my JSOY on weds hopefully i can make it to include as well.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
I dod not have a calculus credit this year either, I too am wondering if that may be what did not nudge me just over the top, oh well. I will have one next year, the trouble is finding a school that I can do it withour being in a classroom, and still pass the class. Sea duty is not conducive to school.

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
I dod not have a calculus credit this year either, I too am wondering if that may be what did not nudge me just over the top, oh well. I will have one next year, the trouble is finding a school that I can do it withour being in a classroom, and still pass the class. Sea duty is not conducive to school.
Are you in Norfolk? If so, my buddy took a Engineering Calc I class that is regionally accredited through Tidewater Community College ... completely online. It's a class that has to be scheduled through a counselor as I'm pretty certain it's not on their regular course catalog.

On a different note, not sure what the credits bring to the table. Figured I had a pretty stout package and my completion of the Calc/Phys pipeline would have put me over the edge. This just puts credence in the idea that who the hell knows what they are actually looking for. Frustrating day for many I'm sure ... I'll admit I'm one of them.

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee
I got picked up FY12 for SWO. It was my 4th time applying. I don't have any previous college credits, except my Nuclear Training (yes I'm a Nuke, dont hate), and I finally got picked up. So I agree with jeeplovindad. Who the hell knows what they look for. I always thought not having any college credits would always put me at the bottom of the list but I finally made it.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
Are you in Norfolk? If so, my buddy took a Engineering Calc I class that is regionally accredited through Tidewater Community College ... completely online. It's a class that has to be scheduled through a counselor as I'm pretty certain it's not on their regular course catalog.

On a different note, not sure what the credits bring to the table. Figured I had a pretty stout package and my completion of the Calc/Phys pipeline would have put me over the edge. This just puts credence in the idea that who the hell knows what they are actually looking for. Frustrating day for many I'm sure ... I'll admit I'm one of them.

Agreed,that seems to be the problem with any board in the navy, they never tell you why you didnt get selected, or what it was that set the selectees apart, they just issue a vague set of precepts and leave t to our imaginiations to figure out what the board is concentrating on. I just wish we got some kind of feed back, like how our packages scored against the selectees packages, even a breakdown of how they weight different items. I realize that would take alot of effort, but at least we would have a better of what the navy is looking for.

I will be looking into that calculus class on Monday, thank you for the heads up.

Adam McFarland

yes they ( The board) look highly on math... i think that is why i did not even make alt, i had over 96 credits but 0 math... im work hard at getting up to Cal for FY-13. Congrats for him making SOY, I have my JSOY on weds hopefully i can make it to include as well.
Good luck on your JSOY board! Adam also has over 90 credits but math is from about 9 years ago=p

TronStar

I just joined the website and I wish I would have know about it sooner. I applied for CEC FY12 and didn't get it. If I would have known the percentages are so rediculously low I would have applied for a different program. I am 31 so I don't have alot of options but anything would be better than 1 selected. I really thought I had a killer package too.

Does anyone have an opinion on which program would give me a better chance of getting picked up?

All I had was pre-calc from classes I took on the boat. My college GPA was 1.66 from my first attempt at college when I was 18, horrible, but I explained it in my personal statement. My biggest worry was my GPA and my rank. I only had 2 evals. But I made every other facet of my package very strong. Had very good test scores and my command backed me hard core. I had a very good personal statement, I put my heart into it. I did a ton of stuff on deployment to make my package stronger than the previous years application. I explained all I had done to make it better. Not sure if having my private pilot's license helped, but I'm sure it sure didn't hurt. It was heart breaking last year not to make it, I was down for a while. But I re-lit the fire and got after it, I told myself that there was going to be nothing more I could have done to make it better. This is a dream come true, I have wanted to fly in the Navy since I can remember. My dad flew Prowlers and his flew Starfire's in the Air Force. My dad died when I was 14 and I was devestaed, he was my hero. I will remember the moment I found out I made it forever. Try not to make your package like someone else's, make it your own. When they read your package, let them know what your about. Keep trucking and don't give up!

visanoven

ENC -> OC
I just joined the website and I wish I would have know about it sooner. I applied for CEC FY12 and didn't get it. If I would have known the percentages are so rediculously low I would have applied for a different program. I am 31 so I don't have alot of options but anything would be better than 1 selected. I really thought I had a killer package too.

Does anyone have an opinion on which program would give me a better chance of getting picked up?

I wish there was, but with the age restrictions you are kind of limited. I hate to make the competition stiffer for myself next year, but SWO/ED may be an option for you. The age limit is 35, and you would still be expected to earn a technical degree. I would encourage you to look into it. I just found out about the site a few days ago too, and wish I had known about it sooner.