• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Hey is there a medical portion to this at all? Does that come after being selected? Another question for those who have submitted before what is the hardest part of this process?
Setting up your boards can easily be the most difficult part of the process, depending where you are stationed.

Hello everyone. This will be my first year applying. I have about 3 years of college in linguistics under my belt so I will be going for the IW field. I'm still new to the navy (1 year mark). Currently I'm at the tail end of ET-NAV A-school where I am first in my class. While I'm not expecting much this time around I wanted to be proactive when it comes to things and do as much as I can every step of the way. I'm doing everything I can think of to stand out from everyone else at my command, and I was wondering what other things I could focus on. Here's a list of things I have done/going for me

81 college credits at the University of Toledo in Linguistics (only 2.3 GPA unfortunately)
3.3 HS GPA (Took all honors, and AP courses with 2 foreign languages)
Currently working on CLEPing out of 3 courses
Graduated Basic Enlisted Sub School with Distinction
Part of the command's honor guard (Silver Dolphins)
Rifle Team caption on honor guard
Current Academic leader in A-school
Convinced 7 others in my A-school class to join silver dolphins
Organize study sessions outside of normal working out to tutor class mates ( 5 people in the class have above a 90% due to extra study)
Aprox. 100 of volunteer time this year (going for 200 by June)
Looking like I'll get picked up for C-School after A-school due to my academic achievements
ACT 22/21 (29 science 26 reading: 25 overall; will probably retake again)
In preparation for my boards I have a large binder of projects that I've worked on since getting to the command. I have formally submitted 4 projects up my chain of command regarding ideas I've had, and the people above me are currently working on ways to implement some of the things I have suggested.

The hardest part about this whole process is getting people to take me seriously. Most students that are a part of sub school are younger and are not as focused as I am. The three biggest things I will hear as junior enlisted are 1) Don't worry about that focus on school work 2) Wait till you get to your boat 3) Why do you want to be an officer its better to be enlisted. While I understand that my primary goal is to learn my job I would like to do all that I can now. I feel that I am demonstrating that with being at the top of my class. I know that once I get to a boat I will have more opportunity to shine. I can hit the ground running and get qualed in everything. I apologize for being long winded, but I am defiantly doing what I can do be a squared away sailor and at the same time try to achieve my goal of being an officer in the navy. Any advice would be great.

Hey Paul and welcome to the forum. I think you have alot going for you and need to stay on track. Just do what you want to if you want to submit a package do it! Don't worry if they tell you that you should wait till you get to the boat. Anyone is eligible for this program which is why its so good. I dont think that they can hold you back as long a you have CO endorsement. As for your ACT I think you already qualify why retake? Well keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Joe Smith

I know you are excited to put in a package, but you don't need a copy of another person's package. A better question would be what advice a person who was selected can give you. These forums are full of that information already. This is the first time I have seen people just come out and start asking for other's packages out in the open on the forums. Maybe PM them for that information. And I don't doubt that you are not lazy, you are an AO. Those are some hard workers.

Seriously get over your self. Nobody really knows why they get selected for this program. Showing him your submission will help him in making sure his package is put together correctly. Sure, it is written how do put a package together, but it is nice to visually see it as well. I know how good you feel getting selected for this program, but tone it down a notch. You really haven't achieved anything yet and won't until you commission. Your my opinion matters to everyone else will not do you well at NSI or your NROTC unit. Stay humble you are still the same enlisted sailor until you commission just with a new title.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
I can see that they are letting just anyone post on the forums now. I didn't call anyone lazy, I was advising he not be tempted to be lazy. Anyway, as long as you people are asking questions that are clearly answered in the instruction, you have a long way to go. Joe Smith, if you were paying attention, Popo Jijo did not make it FY12 and will be resubmitting a package (good luck to you, Popo). I'm not sure where all of this "stay humble" garbage is coming from.
Nobody really knows why they get selected for this program.
Bullshit. The information is out there for anyone who is serious about this program. STA-21 is not a lottery. If you don't have anything useful to add to the discussion, then piss off.

Edit: If you haven't read the full instruction and are saying you're serious about STA-21: YOU ARE LAZY.

Look guys this is getting out of hand lets stick to what the forum is for. lets hash this out and get working on our packages. I really appreciate all you guys giving us advice and realize that the instruction is there and i need to keep my nose in it everyday (dont worry i am). Shit everyone its the holidays lets get along we are all on the same team!

Joe Smith

I have a lot of useful things to add to this as I am a product of this program and commissioned several years ago. When I said 'not knowing why you get picked up' I meant every year there are people who average promotable on evals get selected and a sailor of the year doesn't. My point stands. 'Stay humble' comes from the fact no one submitting packages has a right to tell another person how to do it. Some people learn visually and some by reading it. You guys need to help each other out.

Not to pull rank, but I will also remind you that you are a sailor 24/7 and there is no room for nonprofessional when you don't know who you are talking to.

Joe Smith

As far as degrees, no, it doesn't. In fact the colleges you put in your package and the desired degree you put in your package don't have to be where you actually go or what you actually study. I had a buddy who put all east coast schools and mech engineering in his package and ended up at UCLA and studied business.

alfonso

"Guns UP"
I have a lot of useful things to add to this as I am a product of this program and commissioned several years ago. When I said 'not knowing why you get picked up' I meant every year there are people who average promotable on evals get selected and a sailor of the year doesn't. My point stands. 'Stay humble' comes from the fact no one submitting packages has a right to tell another person how to do it. Some people learn visually and some by reading it. You guys need to help each other out.

Not to pull rank, but I will also remind you that you are a sailor 24/7 and there is no room for nonprofessional when you don't know who you are talking to.

Great thread sir! We do need to help one another!

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot

Very true.
1. You will all see at NSI there is a diverse group of people selected. There WILL be people who will make you questions the validity of the selection process.
2.If you can't help each other as peers how will you help your junior sailors!? I had copies of previous selectees applications and it gave me a good starting point and reference when I applied.
3.Not a good idea to flame spray people on this forum, you never know who that person may be and what their rank may be.

Best of luck to you all.

Joe Smith

So do you guys think its wrong for someone to come out and just ask for copies of packages?

As a div-o the first thing I do for my guys who are submitting a package is get them an example of a squared away package. Do people really believe there is a one size fits all personal statement? Is a shipmate really asking too much if he reaches out for help for formatting of a package even if it is written somewhere. How many of you guys would curse your chain of command if every time you had a question they responded with 'it has to be in a book so find it yourself.' Many guys on here are quick to point out that if you want to get selected you need to put in the leg work and utilize all your resources. Aren't you peers resources? I am way more critical of the guys or girls who won't help their peers (officer like quality) because it won't benefit them.

I know a guy who was selected for the program and he is giving me a copy of his packages to help me better prepare mine. Also I am getting a package from a 1st class to help me too. I'm trying to get every advantage I can.

My Gunner gave me his CWO package just so i have an idea on how to complete a package and that package is completely different.