• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

AG_2_1800_hopeful

FY-12 Oceanography Selectee
Question for everybody: What approach will you be taking for your external board? Do you plan to trust your command to set it up for you? Will you be taking the initiative, targeting certain people, and setting it up yourself? If you are doing it yourself how will you go about it? Interested to hear what everybody else will be doing and hopefully some good advice about how.

I want to do it myself (command set it up last time), but I don't quite know how yet....

My two cents as well...
I was selected for Oceano this year and as far as the external boards go... I'll tell you like my STA-21 mentor told me (someone who went thru the enlisted commissioning process so if you don't have a mentor to show you the way... get one)... "go big or go home". This is a competition and you want to do everything you possibly can to stand out among the rest. My Nomination Reveiw Board consisted of 3 CAPT's and a LCDR. The CO of NAVSTA Norfolk, a SWO, and a METOC CAPT. The LCDR was a Deck DIVO. She set-up the SWO and METOC CAPT and my OIC set-up the CO as the chair, but I would have done it myself if they weren't as supportive. That board was the most intimidating thing I have ever done in my entire life... 3 O-6's asking you open ended questions, knowing that there is no right or wrong answer, and that they are critiquing your thought process to situations you have never been in! As the precept states, the more senior the board, the more weight it carries and after seeing the results, I think that holds true. Make sure you go thru the process (talking to their staff) but all you have to do is ask. I would be hard pressed to believe that Senior Officers would not want to have the courtesy of having a hand in the success of thier sailors. Like CHodgkins says... your personal statement goes a LONG way... make it personal. No one walking this earth is perfect and making sure the board knows that you have had ups and downs but have triumphed and learned makes you worth the effort. My LOR's were from not only people I have worked for directly, but people I have supported outside my community. The board can see past a Senators letter unless you have directly worked for them. They need the whole picture of who you are and why you're worth the investment.

I'm not sure how meticulous everyone was with their packages, but I went over mine with a fine-tooth comb. I made sure all documents looked professional, had enclosure numbers on the bottom, were oriented perfectly on the page (which took a lot of time because the evals that you pull from your OMPF look like crap). My mentor sat on the STA-21 board some time ago and said that the competition is so stiff that it can often come down to the small attention-to-detail items like that. I went back and forth with my OIC and parent command over a lot of the things that I wanted submitted. I've been in the Navy over 10 years and submitted things from my first duty station as an Airman... anything that makes you stand out among your peers should go in. Let the board decide if it's relevent or not. At the end of the day, it's YOUR package and yours alone... you're the only one who wants it and will be the only one who gets it!!

Good luck with FY-13 and submit again... make sure you put your status in your personal statement to show the board your perserverance... I would hate to not submit and then be left to wonder... what if?

Macgyver

I dod not have a calculus credit this year either, I too am wondering if that may be what did not nudge me just over the top, oh well. I will have one next year, the trouble is finding a school that I can do it withour being in a classroom, and still pass the class. Sea duty is not conducive to school.
Look into the University of North Dakota, they have Calculus II and III avaliable online. Then you can request educational hours while out to sea, which ADP should accommodate. I've applied three times now and was selected for CORE alternate FY-12. My mentors that went through STA-21 and are now LTs, told me the board favors candidates that have completed Calculus. Since as a candidate you'll be required to finish at least Cal I and II.

Macgyver

I am still on the fence if I should apply again. I know you all would be happy if I didn't (1 more person out of the way). My command is really trying to get me to put another package in. I made alt the past two years now and it is really frustrating as you can imagine. I probably wont know what to do till after the holidays. Is anyone else worried that it is nearly impossible? I think the numbers are going to drop again.
You should still place another package and keep pushing. I'm not sure what you stats are and which program option you applied for but I wouldn't lose faith. I've applied three times now and was FY-12 CORE alternate. Ask yourself, can I improve my package? Do you have a 4.0 GPA, completed Cal I and II along with two calculus based physics, received outstanding on PFA, received all 10 markings on your internal and external boards (having senior officers sit your boards like AG_2_1800_hopeful mentioned previous).

Eblack904

Just my two cents... I was selected this year for fy-12. I concur with all the assessments of more senior board members will carry more weight. I used my previous command which was a O-7 and three O-6s. All in all, the thing to gather here would be if you have any resources or connections, use them. As far as your personal statement goes, it has to be PERSONAL. I think from what i have seen in people that i would compare my packages with is making the personal statement a brag sheet. While i didnt mention becoming a father early in life, i did mention things i did to help others and how i plan to help others. Officers are supposed to be able to set the example and be that guide for people who may be a little misguided. This was my second application, and as i read over my personal statement it was just, i was JSOY JSOQ, HONOR This HONOR that blah! I took all that out and focused more on what i would do to help others who dont already have the motivation to perform as well. The board can see all your accomplishments so no need to use your personal statement also please include weaknesses and how you have corrected them. Also having community service is a big one. I know this may be weird, but one of board members told me more people do IAs now than just getting out in the community, so thats a big one. Overrall, I wrote my CO endorsement and he only changed minor details to make it sound better. Another thing i would recommend would be looking at other Officer Fields, because although you may want to be a certain officer you can always lateral later. Literally i know that your degree doesnt have to correlate with what you choose, because i know several STA-21 OC's who are majoring in some crazy majors, Your main concern is becoming an OFFICER, not a PILOT or NFO. with all that being said, if anyone needs any help or would like to see a copy of my package, i will scan it after blotting all the PPI and email it to you

Tomodachi

pilot
Question for everybody: What approach will you be taking for your external board? Do you plan to trust your command to set it up for you? Will you be taking the initiative, targeting certain people, and setting it up yourself? If you are doing it yourself how will you go about it? Interested to hear what everybody else will be doing and hopefully some good advice about how.

I want to do it myself (command set it up last time), but I don't quite know how yet....

I applied for OCS and took the initiative myself to set up interviews. I definitely could have gotten help from my chain but I have learned to not completely rely on the chain to get stuff done. You are holding your career in your hands so it is ultimately up to you to get interviews. I ran into a CDR pilot at dental while working on my commissioning physical and we chatted for a bit and I just asked him if he would be willing to conduct an officer interview, which he did and at that interview he also helped me set up other interviews. You'd also be surprised if you ask around on these forums if there is any officers that are stationed on the same base or nearby who can help set up interviews or be the interviewer themselves.

Hello everyone, my name is Jesus Valverde and I am applying for fy13. This is my first time submitting and would appreciate all the help that ii can get. Good luck to everyone!

Just my two cents... I was selected this year for fy-12. I concur with all the assessments of more senior board members will carry more weight. I used my previous command which was a O-7 and three O-6s. All in all, the thing to gather here would be if you have any resources or connections, use them. As far as your personal statement goes, it has to be PERSONAL. I think from what i have seen in people that i would compare my packages with is making the personal statement a brag sheet. While i didnt mention becoming a father early in life, i did mention things i did to help others and how i plan to help others. Officers are supposed to be able to set the example and be that guide for people who may be a little misguided. This was my second application, and as i read over my personal statement it was just, i was JSOY JSOQ, HONOR This HONOR that blah! I took all that out and focused more on what i would do to help others who dont already have the motivation to perform as well. The board can see all your accomplishments so no need to use your personal statement also please include weaknesses and how you have corrected them. Also having community service is a big one. I know this may be weird, but one of board members told me more people do IAs now than just getting out in the community, so thats a big one. Overrall, I wrote my CO endorsement and he only changed minor details to make it sound better. Another thing i would recommend would be looking at other Officer Fields, because although you may want to be a certain officer you can always lateral later. Literally i know that your degree doesnt have to correlate with what you choose, because i know several STA-21 OC's who are majoring in some crazy majors, Your main concern is becoming an OFFICER, not a PILOT or NFO. with all that being said, if anyone needs any help or would like to see a copy of my package, i will scan it after blotting all the PPI and email it to you

Congrats and thanks for all the great advice can i get copies of your package.

This is a new process for me how does the board process go. How do I go about setting up my own boards? please explain

KayDixo

Hello, this will be my first year applying for sta 21. I stumbled upon this site while researching. I am going to be applying for the pilot option. I hope that i can put together a strong package and see how it goes.

Hello, this will be my first year applying for sta 21. I stumbled upon this site while researching. I am going to be applying for the pilot option. I hope that i can put together a strong package and see how it goes.

Welcome. This is also my first time, Good Luck!