• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

TronStar

I wish there was, but with the age restrictions you are kind of limited. I hate to make the competition stiffer for myself next year, but SWO/ED may be an option for you. The age limit is 35, and you would still be expected to earn a technical degree. I would encourage you to look into it. I just found out about the site a few days ago too, and wish I had known about it sooner.

Oceanography looks interesting also but it has a low selection rate as well. I hate that you can't choose 2 actual programs and not core. It really makes you put all your eggs in one basket.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
Oceanography looks interesting also but it has a low selection rate as well. I hate that you can't choose 2 actual programs and not core. It really makes you put all your eggs in one basket.

I had the same thought. A lot of the programs have similar degree requirements, and an engineering degree is good for just about anything anyway. I think that I could have a strong package for a couple of programs, but you have to pick the one that you think your package fits best.

Jonny Coreson

Bring on the FY-13 STA-21 process! Not being selected only reinvigorated my commitment to the HR program. I'm pulling out all the stops this time so all you applicants better bring it as well. If anyone wants to shoot me some advice, I can use it all. Otherwise, I look forward to grinding it out til July, including the subsequent wait period.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
ULTRA MEGA CONGRATS to the people who were picked up for the FY12 cycle. I really think that those who made it, do deserve it. I am really glad to see that a few people who were on the FY12 thread all year long made it!! I know where a lot of my mistakes were, and I know what to improve. I will be applying for NFO again. I don't care if there is only a 1% chance. I will do my best to be that 1%!

On a seperate note, does anybody think that there will be changes to the program this next FY? With the numbers so low you would think they would tighten up the minimums a bit. Maybe make it required to have an Associates. Or raise the SAT scores to at least be 1100 combined. Just a thought.

Also, did anybody else see on the fleet brief that somebody had a 1600 SAT score, and did not get selected? Crazyness.

hearshot

Hey everyone, signed up after lurking this entire year, congrats to the FY 12 selectees and alternates. Not sure if I'm putting another package together, it would be essentially the same as the one I put in this year, and that clearly wasn't enough. Plus I'm PCSing right before the mayhem starts anew, and I'll probably end up in Bahrain with no idea how I would even begin putting it together with a new command. I'm not sure, I have a lot to brood on.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Something that you cannot see from my stats was my community involvement. I was the President of the Petty Officers Association, volunteered for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance as the site coordinator and tax preparer, participated in Habitat for Humanity, etc. You need to show the board that you not only have great academic potential but also that you can lead people and you are not afraid to represent the Navy. I really think that my "whole person" concept really made my package stand out. If your command doesn't have volunteer opportunities like this, get with your CMC or Chief and start some stuff up yourself. Also, if you are not submitting your own Sailor of the Quarter package every quarter, you are passing up opportunities. Get familiar with your commands instruction and put in a package every quarter. Don't wait for someone else to toot your horn because they may not care that much. Leave the weak spots in your package to stuff you have no control over. I'll tell you right now, I sacrificed a lot over the past year to make my package as strong as possible. I completed the entire Peterson's Online SAT Prep course, studied countless hours for the ASTB, and spent many weekends volunteering out in the community. This year was really bad and a lot more people deserved to make it. Still, ask yourself if you are really doing EVERYTHING to make your package shit hot.

TXcountry

FY 13 Intel Applicant
This will be my second time applying. Will most likely be going for the one and only Intel spot again this year. Good thing is that I will only be about 30 semester hours away from my bachelor's towards an Intel related degree when I send my package. It's hard though when your only options are the ones that have a high age restriction and you are already in Intel.

TLCuddy86

P-3C IFT
I dod not have a calculus credit this year either, I too am wondering if that may be what did not nudge me just over the top, oh well. I will have one next year, the trouble is finding a school that I can do it withour being in a classroom, and still pass the class. Sea duty is not conducive to school.
Be careful as I just found out HPU, the college I'm taking classes with, Calculus course does not transfer to the universities I was applying to or at least they didn't have the course number on their website of transferable course from HPU!

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
I am still on the fence if I should apply again. I know you all would be happy if I didn't (1 more person out of the way). My command is really trying to get me to put another package in. I made alt the past two years now and it is really frustrating as you can imagine. I probably wont know what to do till after the holidays. Is anyone else worried that it is nearly impossible? I think the numbers are going to drop again.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I am still on the fence if I should apply again. I know you all would be happy if I didn't (1 more person out of the way). My command is really trying to get me to put another package in. I made alt the past two years now and it is really frustrating as you can imagine. I probably wont know what to do till after the holidays. Is anyone else worried that it is nearly impossible? I think the numbers are going to drop again.
I am not worried. I am looking at it as a long term goal. STA-21 is my short term goal. OCS is my long term goal. By next July I should only have 1.5 years of school left and I will be 27 years old. I would say put in another package, you just never know what will happen. Seriously, you never know. It could be 75 selects again. It could be 125. Who knows, but think about how you would feel if you didn't apply and you miss the train.

Christopher McGuire

Supply Corps Applicant
Question for everybody: What approach will you be taking for your external board? Do you plan to trust your command to set it up for you? Will you be taking the initiative, targeting certain people, and setting it up yourself? If you are doing it yourself how will you go about it? Interested to hear what everybody else will be doing and hopefully some good advice about how.

I want to do it myself (command set it up last time), but I don't quite know how yet....

hearshot

If I go through with it, I'll probably set both the boards up myself this time, start sniffing around for O5's in my target option on base and mesh out some sort of time. I'll use my previous command for the external board, let them hash things out there.

With PRT scores changed, what will be the minimum qualifying score? I'm betting it will be in the excellent range.

Christopher McGuire

Supply Corps Applicant
If I go through with it, I'll probably set both the boards up myself this time, start sniffing around for O5's in my target option on base and mesh out some sort of time. I'll use my previous command for the external board, let them hash things out there.

With PRT scores changed, what will be the minimum qualifying score? I'm betting it will be in the excellent range.
I was thinking about doing the same. Previous commands will probably be more willing to help. As far as the PFA score goes, I agree that it will most likely become more stringent. But that's okay... I scored MAX on everything (I'm so modest).

CHodgkins

I was selected for SWO/ED this year. I have been applying for a commission every year since 2005. As a civilian I applied for NUPOC twice and this was my fourth time applying for STA-21. So for those interested here is my 2 cents here you go.

First of all persistence will pay off. The biggest chance to my package this year was taking over every aspect of my package that I could. I set up all of my own boards ensuring that all board members were form the community which I was applying. The higher ranking the board members the better. My internal board comprised of all department heads. After talking to a CDR who was previously on the STA-21 selection board I completely rewrote my statement and CO recommendation. These two aspects of the package are definitely the most important pieces. The selection board doesn't want to just hear about how great you are they also want to see you acknowledge you weaknesses. The CO letter and personal statement is your chance to explain any blemishes and explain what you have done to correct them and tell the STA-21 board why they are no longer a problem. Every thing you say about yourself needs proof to back up your point, I had 15 additional documents in my package. Do what you can to take more responsibility to show your leadership ability. I am a MM2 with two command collateral duties which I balance with being a LPO. If possible take any college classes you can to show your academic potential. Get LOR's from people who actually know you, who cares if you wrote some random senator to endorse you. Do not bother asking your chief for a LOR, besides what does a E-9 really know about being an officer? Most importantly read the instruction over and over again to make sure you catch every detail. The when you think you have the perfect package give it to every officer you can to review it. I modified my package numerous times for slight grammar or formatting changes which other officers caught. Take complete control over your package to ensure everything is perfect.