• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters
What would be a good degree choice for IW? I have 3 years of linguistics, and that was the field I was looking to apply to. If not IW what would be a good choice for that background?

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Hello Everyone !! I see there have been some heated discussions on this board. Also seems like there is plenty of good information.

My name is Anthony and I will be applying this year for the first time. I am an AS2(AW/SW) with about 5.5 years in. I will be applying for the SWO/IP option as primary and Core as Secondary. I have read through the instruction completely a couple of times. I have been gathering all of the required documents as outlined in the OPNAVINST 1420.1B (Chapter 8). I am hoping for the best and hope to be getting some advice from the previous SWO/IP Selectees. Good luck to all of this years applicants and lets all keep an open mind when asking questions and helping each other out here. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
How many of you guys/gals who were selected had an associates degree included in your package? Im about 3 classes away and think that would be a great plus.

JTruong

FY-13 STA-21 IW Applicant
I am still on the fence if I should apply again. I know you all would be happy if I didn't (1 more person out of the way). My command is really trying to get me to put another package in. I made alt the past two years now and it is really frustrating as you can imagine. I probably wont know what to do till after the holidays. Is anyone else worried that it is nearly impossible? I think the numbers are going to drop again.

Don't be on the fence, do it! Conquer it! If you made alternate twice as frustrating as it may be, it proves your package was better than the other X amount of applicants who didn't even make board or make alternates. They love to see dedication and consistency. If you applied one year and were serious enough, you can't put off one year as there will be a gap. They'll really question that and your two years as alternate goes down the drain...maybe third time is the charm for you. Don't give up. :) The things worth it, don't come easy! So hope to see you applying this year alongside! :) Good luck!

Joe Smith

Don't be on the fence, do it! Conquer it! If you made alternate twice as frustrating as it may be, it proves your package was better than the other X amount of applicants who didn't even make board or make alternates. They love to see dedication and consistency. If you applied one year and were serious enough, you can't put off one year as there will be a gap. They'll really question that and your two years as alternate goes down the drain...maybe third time is the charm for you. Don't give up. :) The things worth it, don't come easy! So hope to see you applying this year alongside! :) Good luck!

Remember you are still right where you would be if you had never put in for it. So, although I understand the let down you haven't lost out on anything. If anything the interview process has got your name and reputation spread around the ship. It took me three times to get selected for STA-21. I didn't even get alternate my second time applying and I was the SOY at my command, had all 10 interviews, a high ACT score, and outstanding PRTs.

My only suggestion for guys or girls putting in for options that only select 1 or two a year like SWO/IP, go vanilla. Ask yourself, 'do I want to be an officer or do I just want the IP job?' If your endstate goal is to be an officer go with the odds, work hard once you commission, and laterally transfer then.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Remember you are still right where you would be if you had never put in for it. So, although I understand the let down you haven't lost out on anything. If anything the interview process has got your name and reputation spread around the ship. It took me three times to get selected for STA-21. I didn't even get alternate my second time applying and I was the SOY at my command, had all 10 interviews, a high ACT score, and outstanding PRTs.

My only suggestion for guys or girls putting in for options that only select 1 or two a year like SWO/IP, go vanilla. Ask yourself, 'do I want to be an officer or do I just want the IP job?' If your endstate goal is to be an officer go with the odds, work hard once you commission, and laterally transfer then.

SWO/IP only had a couple last year but there was only like 5 applicants for that target group so the percentage that got selected was actually higher than most others. But I see where your coming from. I got core as my secondary.

TXcountry

FY 13 Intel Applicant
Any ideas on how much should your personal statement change from the previous years if you weren't selected?

exNavyOffRec

SWO/IP only had a couple last year but there was only like 5 applicants for that target group so the percentage that got selected was actually higher than most others. But I see where your coming from. I got core as my secondary.
I was just able to read the accessions plan, it looks like they are going to pick just one SWO/IP this time around.

TXcountry

FY 13 Intel Applicant
I was just able to read the accessions plan, it looks like they are going to pick just one SWO/IP this time around.

If i remember correctly, the accession plans are for those STA-21 candidates that are receiving their commission this year... I could be wrong

exNavyOffRec

If i remember correctly, the accession plans are for those STA-21 candidates that are receiving their commission this year... I could be wrong
It very well might be, but the numbers were the same last year, and it is projected to remain the same or go down for the next several years, so for planning purposes it might be good.