• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

exNavyOffRec

Wow, play time is over and back to work I guess. This place is quiet. I am shocked that no one has posted this yet.

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/ppt_files/FY-13_Fleet_Brief.ppt

Interesting stuff. Enjoy.

I would look at the stats of those selected in the brief and move toward that while you work on your applications.

Interesting thing is 29% of those received were "not qualified", how many people submitted and thought they were just "not selected" when in actuality they were "not qualified", if people aren't told they are "not qualified" how many are going to keep applying when they shouldn't be?

timmyhoffa

FY-12 SWO/ED Selectee
I think that I may be finished as well, Two years as an alternate is enough for me. at this rate, if I got picked up next year, by the time I got to being an EDO I would already be at 17 years, doesnt really seem worth it. I will probably put in an LDO/CWO package next year instead.
My unsolicited advice is don't give up. I was 1 of 2 EDO alternates for FY10 and FY11. I watched the 1st alternate from FY10 get picked up in FY11 so I kept applying and was selected for FY12. It looks like they pick up one new guy and one of the alternates from the previous years, at least they have over the last 3 cycles. In my opinion if they keep selected 2 EDO's, next year just might be your turn. Also, I'm at exactly the same year point you are in regards to hitting the EDO community. I've talked to several senior EDO's about this and its not a big deal to anyone. PM me if you want to talk.....

cricechex

Wow, play time is over and back to work I guess. This place is quiet. I am shocked that no one has posted this yet.

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/ppt_files/FY-13_Fleet_Brief.ppt

Interesting stuff. Enjoy.

What I found most interesting is that they only had a goal of one core selectee but because not all of their nuke billets were filled they increased the number of core selects. Obviously they had a requirement to only select 50 people this year. Also, this information leads me to believe that the people involved were trying to do everything they could to get as many strong candidates as possible into the program.

sonarforce

FY-12 Oceano Alternate
What I found most interesting is that they only had a goal of one core selectee but because not all of their nuke billets were filled they increased the number of core selects. Obviously they had a requirement to only select 50 people this year. Also, this information leads me to believe that the people involved were trying to do everything they could to get as many strong candidates as possible into the program.
Why not distribute those to those options with zero selectees? We'll never know...

exNavyOffRec

Why not distribute those to those options with zero selectees? We'll never know...

I goes to planning, at this point the ones with zero had no need several years down the road, and rather than let 4 spots go unfilled because there weren't enough strong applicants for NUKE they can put them in core where they are flexible down the road.

What would suck is to be a non select Nuke, I am sure you all can figure out why.

Menchu Madriaga

My nuke made the list---I've been smiling all day!!!! lol. When do they actually find out if they get to attend the university of their choice? Is housing provided or at least still part of their benefits as they go through the program? I have seen some comments somewhere where the sailors are having a hard time making ends meet while in the program; with their salary plus the stipend for school, do they really need more than that? My son is single, though recently engaged, so I wonder if I would have to supplement his income while going through STA-21.

Congrats to all those who made the cut and for those who didn't, good luck on the next round!

justamom

Congrats to those who were selected! I was just checking in to see if the list was out this year.... its been 2 yrs since my son made the list - I still remember the stress of October waiting to hear.. Menchu, my son gets his normal pay plus housing and food allowance. He did end up taking out a loan because of the cost of his school and books, but I have heard that it depends on which school that they select. the 10,000 goes further at different places. He also has started getting his GI bill - but this took a lot of hoops to get - something to do with the recent changes - it took a fight to get it - some of the OC's got it right away and some like my son had to fight for it. Good luck with the next 3 yrs! Its been nice having my son closer to us for a few years - and nice to have him home for the holidays - enjoying it while I can!

MrsBerkO

FY-11 SWO Selectee
Some schools are really expensive. For Example USD (University of San Diego) is over $35000 a year, and STA 21 only covers $10000. The rest is the sailor's responsibility, which can be pretty tough for some of the Jr Guys. Some schools offer various work programs to aid in tuition costs, but even that takes additional time that has to be adjusted around Class schedules and Unit Requirements.

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
At schools like USD you can also use the GI Bill which will give you ~18k/year on top of the sta 10k, leaving the rest to be made up by grants/scholarships or out of pocket. Doable if you really want to go there.

Wareal

Contributor
My nuke made the list---I've been smiling all day!!!! lol. When do they actually find out if they get to attend the university of their choice? Is housing provided or at least still part of their benefits as they go through the program? I have seen some comments somewhere where the sailors are having a hard time making ends meet while in the program; with their salary plus the stipend for school, do they really need more than that? My son is single, though recently engaged, so I wonder if I would have to supplement his income while going through STA-21.

Congrats to all those who made the cut and for those who didn't, good luck on the next round!

The OC can attend any qualifying school that accepts him. There are 18 schools for Nukes IRRC. My son has no financial hardship. He gets base pay and BAH (BAS too I think). Some schools offer full scholarships to supplement the STA-21 stipend. My son graduates 5/13 with a commission, a degree, and no debt. He didn't use any of his GI Bill, so it's still available to him down the road. Best deal on the planet IMHO.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
So how many people do we have here that are selectees or alts?

Also, has anybody already completed their selection package (commissioning physical, three school applications w/ degree plan)?
I just dropped 3 applications for schools and I have my physical scheduled already. Hopefully a spot opens up for me. You never know, right?

Menchu Madriaga

Results are released and nuke moms come out of the woodwork!
Umm, that statement should be modified to "nuke moms that care." Been lurking for sometime but since you guys have this whole different lingo going--most of which I don't quite understand anyway--I only post when I find it relevant. Why muddy the waters, right? As they say, if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. ;)

Thanks for the responses to my post, however. Really appreciate every little nugget I pick up from here.