• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
Has anyone (those of us non-selects, particularly those of us that had ZERO selectees) thought about contacting the STA-21 folks and asking some questions? I've written an e-mail to Mr. Straten several times over in my head. I just want to know why. I want to know if I should waste my time again for FY14. I really have been trying to be optomistic, but I'm struggling to see a future for myself in STA-21. I could handle being beat out by the better candidate, even if it was only one like last year, but for them not to select a single person is tough to swallow.

I'm wondering how long before STA-21 just comes out and says that it is a commisioning program for NUKES only...

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Has anyone (those of us non-selects, particularly those of us that had ZERO selectees) thought about contacting the STA-21 folks and asking some questions? I've written an e-mail to Mr. Straten several times over in my head. I just want to know why. I want to know if I should waste my time again for FY14. I really have been trying to be optomistic, but I'm struggling to see a future for myself in STA-21. I could handle being beat out by the better candidate, even if it was only one like last year, but for them not to select a single person is tough to swallow.

I'm wondering how long before STA-21 just comes out and says that it is a commisioning program for NUKES only...

Those are good questions. I read today in the Nuke portion of the instruction that it specifically puts aside selection spots for them (I know this is obvious). It never hurts to ask Mr. Straten in an email. I asked him a question earlier today and got a quick response from him.

As far as wanting to know if it is going to be a waste of time, I would recommend checking the FY14 budget that should come out in FEB 2013. Look at what it says the selection numbers are going to be. I know that the budget isn't 100% set in stone, but it was 100% accurate this time around.

I for one was very disappointed in the results. Like most people I could take getting beat especially being so junior but to know that regardless of what I did I stood a 0% chance of getting picked up is very disheartening. I honestly don't know what option I am going to apply for in FY14. Part of me thinks I should go for what I would enjoy the most and be the best at or go with what I have the most chances of getting picked up. I'm in subs now and I'd rather not be. No particular reason, but its just not for me. I'm sure I could succeed at nuke school and being a nuclear officer, but up to end up some where I don't wanna be doing something I don't want to do does not sound that appealing. I think many of you like me have to do a lot of soul searching and figure out which way we wanna go.

exNavyOffRec

You are trying to get info that is way over Mr Straten's paygrade, he is most likely a GS5 maybe a GS7, so that is equivilant of asking a PO2 about info that is made at the O-6 to O-10? probably O-9 level and these are decisions that don't get made until after applications are already being submitted. It is easier for them to make up down the road then figure out how to deal with excess.

Here is some advice, if you number one goal is to be a USN officer, then apply to the program for which you are qualified that gives you the best shot. If you are stuck on job type then make that decision and live with it.

A person could be the most qualified out of the 600+ candidates that apply and eligible to apply for every designator, but if that person made the choice to apply to a designator that had a low number of selections that went to 0 this year that is how the cookie crumbles.

The person who is restricted due to age or other limiting factors are the ones I feel really get the short end of the stick.

When it comes down to it keep working on your degree, then apply to OCS, be one of those guys that makes up the shortages.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
A question about the degree plans.

What is the max amount of credits one can attempt during a regular semester and a summer semester?
I have read a few people post on the threads that they have taken on up to 20 credit hours in a semester. Is there a limit?
For the people who are going through, or have completed the STA-21 program, how many did you take?
I ask all of this because, well, I have to finish my degree in one summer semester, fall, then spring.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
`I took 22 hours one Summer at two different colleges. I wouldn't recommend it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

MasterBates

Lets just say the income disparity becomes pretty much in the favor of the Engineers post college.

All I know, is out of my peers who got out at about the same time, the Engineer/Tech crowd as a whole are doing better. Not a 100% predictor of success, but when "college degree" is the bar raised to pretty much everything at the fast food manager level and above, there is a difference in degrees.

I have some poly-sci and fly buds who are doing well, but that was often what they were doing in the Navy moved to a Civilian job.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
MasterBates said:
Only 22? My average course load was 23. And no, that's not quarter credits either.

Meh. Wimps.​
How in the hell? I never took 23 credits, I graduated in 3 years and I got an engineering degree.

Ditto that! I did 2 majors (engineering and math) finished in 4 years, only took 2 summer courses and STILL never had more than 21 hours a semester!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I finished the engineering program at my school in 33 months, I usually took between 15-18 credits a semester. The 22 hour summer was just a scheduling nightmare so that I could get into some senior courses in the fall and graduate with the next class commissioning the following May.

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee
A question about the degree plans.

What is the max amount of credits one can attempt during a regular semester and a summer semester?
I have read a few people post on the threads that they have taken on up to 20 credit hours in a semester. Is there a limit?
For the people who are going through, or have completed the STA-21 program, how many did you take?
I ask all of this because, well, I have to finish my degree in one summer semester, fall, then spring.

It mostly depends on your college. Most places have a limit where you'll need Dean's permission to exceed X amount of credit hours.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
It mostly depends on your college. Most places have a limit where you'll need Dean's permission to exceed X amount of credit hours.

Ok, it is looking like I will have attempt 17/22/20 if I am lucky enough to slide into a spot this year. It doesn't sound bad compared to everybody else's story here. The only pain will be the calculus and the physics, but its obviously doable.