• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 23 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have my application from my experiences and education good for EDO or Oceano. My OR thinks that my potential to get in as Oceano is higher and he worked with me to put the application, waiting on the interview to be scheduled and MEPS. Keeping my head high.
What METOC experience do you have?

IWC2022

Guys, thank you for answering my questions. Wish me luck... Even if I do not get it this time, I will reapply.
I am 34 and I expect my clearance (for the full-time IC job as a GG-13 intel analyst) will take another year to be adjudicated due to my unique background (my friends/colleagues with similar backgrounds waited for 18-24 months to be cleared). Wish me luck... for both full-time job and the 1835 selection... Regardless, I will continue to re-apply.

vickey0070

What METOC experience do you have?
I have done seabed mapping from geophysical data for offshore rig placement, geotechnics of soils, degree is in earth sciences and master in engineering for the same. I could be of a great help in technical side. I have worked offshore in GOM. What are your thoughts ?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi folks, I am submitting my package for the second time for the September board. I would very much appreciated if experienced members of this community could help me by assessing my shot...
Also, Is it a conventional wisdom of the 1830/5 community that reserve intel officer candidates must have direct experiences from the IC or other intel fields?
I have years of think-tank experiences working directly/indirectly with the DoD & Navy on US national security and military strategy in a specific AOR. I have MA in national security and received recommendation letters from O-10 (Navy), O-9 (Army), O-6 (AF), MCPON, and a former NIO (all recently retired that I work/worked directly for years). Also, I have received a conditional job offer from one of the three-letter-agencies to work as a GG-13 Intel Analyst and passed the CI-poly recently (still under investigation for TS/SCI). I received all-9s on my appraisals this time (all-10s on the previous board and still was not selected).
Nonetheless, an officer recruiter (not mine) sees me as one of many applicants without direct intel experience and argued that my package is weak. Any thoughts?

Lack of Intel (civilian or military) experience and/or how you did in the interview panel probably shot down your odds. I would agree with your OR's assessment.

LORs can only get you so far... and even so, can have little weight if you don't meet or exceed the community qualifications.

vickey0070

Lack of Intel (civilian or military) experience and/or how you did in the interview panel probably shot down your odds. I would agree with your OR's assessment.

LORs can only get you so far... and even so, can have little weight if you don't meet or exceed the community qualifications.
I agree with this comment. Lack of experience in a particular field you are applying will be looked at as a negative. DCO Jobs (O-1 ) onwards fall in management category if I am reading in correctly. Officer ranks need good amount of experience in their respective fields.

Last edited:

a_dub

"flank" speed
I agree with this comment. Lack of experience in a particular field you are applying will be looked at as a negative. DCO Jobs (O-1 ) onwards fall in management category if I am reading in correctly. Officer ranks need good amount of experience in their respective fields.

I had this thought too, however, currently at NIOBC and we have a large amount of straight academic folks, with zero job or life experience, just undergrad (mostly at Ivy league schools), and now into graduate programs, so who knows what they're really looking for now for 1835s.

exNavyOffRec

I had this thought too, however, currently at NIOBC and we have a large amount of straight academic folks, with zero job or life experience, just undergrad (mostly at Ivy league schools), and now into graduate programs, so who knows what they're really looking for now for 1835s.
That could just be an anomaly with your class, the whole premise for DCO is to get people into the program that have real life experience in their field so they can be contributing right away.

It is more often on here that you will see those picked up that do have some type of background in the field.

I have seen those picked up without experience but that is probably the OIC that interviewed them making a strong case, the OIC recommendation can make or break an application.

a_dub

"flank" speed
That could just be an anomaly with your class, the whole premise for DCO is to get people into the program that have real life experience in their field so they can be contributing right away.

It is more often on here that you will see those picked up that do have some type of background in the field.

I have seen those picked up without experience but that is probably the OIC that interviewed them making a strong case, the OIC recommendation can make or break an application.
Traditionally yes, and I agree it still should be, however, speaking with the instructors here it is becoming more common when it used to be an anomaly. Many of the straight college folks aren’t shy to say they aim to get into politics and see this as a resume builder.

Last edited:

vickey0070

Traditionally yes, and I agree it still should be, however, speaking with the instructors here it is becoming more common when it used to be an anomaly. Many of the straight college folks aren’t shy to say they aim to get into politics and see this as a resume builder.
Wow. ?, can polygraph pick up that, i wonder..

IWC2022

Well... I am not one of those kids with 'zero-work experience' who are looking to "use" the Navy as an item in the resume...
As I have explicitly shared, I am a think-tanker who has been working on strategy/policy for almost a decade. I am waiting on my clearance to join the IC as a full-time intel professional starting as a GG-13 at one of the 3-letter agencies while pursuing an intel DCO path simultaneously...

warthog_az

Was informed today that my package is with the Program Manager. Not sure what that means but I am glad to hear I made the 15 August deadline for the 21 Sept Board. Anyone else have any updates? Good luck all and now we wait.