• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 23 IWC DCO Reserve Board

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
So, in order to get selected for 1825, having the CISSP IT cert and AI experience would be considered highly recommended?
I'm not the expert here, but I would think the respective community is going to review the whole package and leverage from there. A CISSP endorsement would certainly look favorable as it commands alot of prereqs from mgmt or cyber policy perspective.

With regards to AI/ML...that's a good question...

How many candidates whom are ML/AI career level are applying to a program such as this, I wager a doubt that there are any at all (hunch). Academically speaking, some of us have graduate thesis research in this area, it doesn't make us professionals, but we can certainly navigate the industry trends without drowning.

Not sure what the CW/IP community would be looking for here as an end product since most of this stuff is handled among the PhD/DoD types, specially when quantum computing protocols are in use. Anyone want to add or correct this?

jamal1825

I'm not the expert here, but I would think the respective community is going to review the whole package and leverage from there. A CISSP endorsement would certainly look favorable as it commands alot of prereqs from mgmt or cyber policy perspective.

With regards to AI/ML...that's a good question...

How many candidates whom are ML/AI career level are applying to a program such as this, I wager a doubt that there are any at all (hunch). Academically speaking, some of us have graduate thesis research in this area, it doesn't make us professionals, but we can certainly navigate the industry trends without drowning.

Not sure what the CW/IP community would be looking for here as an end product since most of this stuff is handled among the PhD/DoD types, specially when quantum computing protocols are in use. Anyone want to add or correct this?
Thanks for sharing that information.

vickey0070

Deadline is 15 August so ideally interviews would be done a week before to allow for the completed application to be routed and submitted.
I have submitted all the info for the package and MEPS still awaiting plus the interview. I am hoping to finish it next week, seems to be only a week left to do. I have asked my OR to see what the schedule is for the interview panel, he doesn't know yet .. wonder who else would any suggestions ?

exNavyOffRec

I have submitted all the info for the package and MEPS still awaiting plus the interview. I am hoping to finish it next week, seems to be only a week left to do. I have asked my OR to see what the schedule is for the interview panel, he doesn't know yet .. wonder who else would any suggestions ?
It really depends who coordinates with the panel for your NRD

IWC2022

Hi folks, I am submitting my package for the second time for the September board. I would very much appreciated if experienced members of this community could help me by assessing my shot...
Also, Is it a conventional wisdom of the 1830/5 community that reserve intel officer candidates must have direct experiences from the IC or other intel fields?
I have years of think-tank experiences working directly/indirectly with the DoD & Navy on US national security and military strategy in a specific AOR. I have MA in national security and received recommendation letters from O-10 (Navy), O-9 (Army), O-6 (AF), MCPON, and a former NIO (all recently retired that I work/worked directly for years). Also, I have received a conditional job offer from one of the three-letter-agencies to work as a GG-13 Intel Analyst and passed the CI-poly recently (still under investigation for TS/SCI). I received all-9s on my appraisals this time (all-10s on the previous board and still was not selected).
Nonetheless, an officer recruiter (not mine) sees me as one of many applicants without direct intel experience and argued that my package is weak. Any thoughts?

vickey0070

It really depends who coordinates with the panel for your NRD
Thanks for your comments. I am. Going to have to wait until thr next board comes in session because interviewing officers are very busy and cannot do one right now, according to my OR. Not much time left in other words.

RJS

Hi folks, I am submitting my package for the second time for the September board. I would very much appreciated if experienced members of this community could help me by assessing my shot...
Also, Is it a conventional wisdom of the 1830/5 community that reserve intel officer candidates must have direct experiences from the IC or other intel fields?
I have years of think-tank experiences working directly/indirectly with the DoD & Navy on US national security and military strategy in a specific AOR. I have MA in national security and received recommendation letters from O-10 (Navy), O-9 (Army), O-6 (AF), MCPON, and a former NIO (all recently retired that I work/worked directly for years). Also, I have received a conditional job offer from one of the three-letter-agencies to work as a GG-13 Intel Analyst and passed the CI-poly recently (still under investigation for TS/SCI). I received all-9s on my appraisals this time (all-10s on the previous board and still was not selected).
Nonetheless, an officer recruiter (not mine) sees me as one of many applicants without direct intel experience and argued that my package is weak. Any thoughts?
IMO, your recruiter should have been able to assess your experience/KSA and provide to you constructive criticism on your chances. However, it really doesn't matter what he thinks. The board has the power to say yea or nay. Personally, I don't think he would have worked to help put your package together if he thought you wasn't a potential candidate. If serving is something you desire to do, put your foot forward on the next board if not selected. Another thing you can do is to scour the forums for applicants with some of the same background. Again....it doesn't matter. The board chooses who they want. I also believe that someone has said (maybe exNavyOffRec or FormerRecruitingGuru) who said that specific words, from the OIC (interviews), can work against an applicant's chances of being selected. Even with 9's or 10's. Just my two cents until someone else chimes in.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You might get selected. If not, take the intel job and go learn intel. Then, reapply when ready.

You will find that a GS13 day job in intel may give you far better IC experience than you get as a JO 1835. And the two careers can be complementary.

You’re young. You’ve got time.

number9

Contributor
With a background like that I'm very surprised you didn't get in. What was your combined GPA? Unless you had a 0.0 like my buddy John "Bluto" Blutarsky, I can't see what the issue is. Other than that: I'm not sure what region of the country you're in, but maybe that makes a difference? I imagine it's harder to get INTEL in the D.C. area than it is in, say, New England.

I was picked up as an 1835 with absolutely no prior intel or agency experience. I know a couple of people who were selected and had backgrounds like mine, but there's a strong selection bias there so I wouldn't read too much into it. But it is possible!

I would reach out to your OR and ask for direct, no-bullshit feedback. Depending on how bad you want to get selected I would also try and email the OIC with whom you interviewed and ask for direct feedback as well. (The OIC may refuse your request, though.)

exNavyOffRec

Given you don't have any direct experience that will put you at a disadvantage, it doesn't mean you won't get accepted it just means it is more of a longshot.

If you received all 10's and received a no that isn't a great indication and to receive all 9's this time could really hurt you. The job you are speaking of could help you in the long run.

exNavyOffRec

I don't think he would have worked to help put your package together if he thought you wasn't a potential candidate.
Most would think that, but there are many recruiters that just go through the motions and put any application together.

Reactions: RJS

vickey0070

Most would think that, but there are many recruiters that just go through the motions and put any application together.
I have my application from my experiences and education good for EDO or Oceano. My OR thinks that my potential to get in as Oceano is higher and he worked with me to put the application, waiting on the interview to be scheduled and MEPS. Keeping my head high.

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Understood. This is what I believe how the assigned recruiter felt when I submitted for OCS 8 years ago. I was just a body going through the motions too. Honestly, I wasn’t that competitive to gain a commission.