• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Completely agree. CISSP in the government realm is an absolute necessity. Experience, not so much ?

Orr83

I know there’s not an unlimited amount. But the board convenes with ALL the applicants in front of them. So therefore, if you have what is listed in the references you shared then it would make no sense for you not to get the higher rank before someone else who is missing one or two. You said that even if you meet all the requirements then you still might not make it. Are you a DCO or an officer recruiter?

QUOTE="devilbones, post: 1024294, member: 61719"]
The reason you wouldn't get it is that there are not an unlimited amount of available slots for an O2 or O3.

Ok I guess you can make that same argument against any certification. It is still one of the most valuable certs to have both financially and opportunistically.

I am not sure if you were referring to SEC+ but that is one of the entry-level security cert that you need in order to have admin on a DOD network.
[/QUOTE]

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Are you a DCO or an officer recruiter?
I am a DCO. I believe the numbers are decided before the board even convenes. The OCM looks at the current inventory and then determines if there is space available to commission applicants at the O2 or O3 level.

fy18dco

I know there’s not an unlimited amount. But the board convenes with ALL the applicants in front of them. So therefore, if you have what is listed in the references you shared then it would make no sense for you not to get the higher rank before someone else who is missing one or two. You said that even if you meet all the requirements then you still might not make it. Are you a DCO or an officer recruiter?

QUOTE="devilbones, post: 1024294, member: 61719"]
The reason you wouldn't get it is that there are not an unlimited amount of available slots for an O2 or O3.

Ok I guess you can make that same argument against any certification. It is still one of the most valuable certs to have both financially and opportunistically.

I am not sure if you were referring to SEC+ but that is one of the entry-level security cert that you need in order to have admin on a DOD network.
[/QUOTE]

Checking the boxes doesn't automatically get you a higher rank. Given the highly competitive nature of the DCO program (regardless of designator), pretty much applicant checks the boxes. Professional (AND RELEVANT) working experience weighs heavily. I'd give a prior E with 10 years of relevant professional experience an O-2 before a civilian with 14 certifications but no relevant job experience to show for it. And even then, there are only so many O-2 billets available.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Checking the boxes doesn't automatically get you a higher rank. Given the highly competitive nature of the DCO program (regardless of designator), pretty much applicant checks the boxes. Professional (AND RELEVANT) working experience weighs heavily. I'd give a prior E with 10 years of relevant professional experience an O-2 before a civilian with 14 certifications but no relevant job experience to show for it. And even then, there are only so many O-2 billets available.
I agree. You can view the community health slides from the CNIFR OCM SharePoint site.

Orr83

[/QUOTE]

Certifications weren't the only things listed, I believe experience was a check box (could be wrong as I only looked at the list once). I also see what you're saying I guess I am just trying to get your logic. I guess what I'm confused about (since I actually work in the field and have for many years, both DoD and civilian), I have never seen a person with the types of IT certifications that they would be referencing (I'm assuming CISSP, CEH, GIAC, etc since those are usually you're higher level ones) that didn't have experience. As someone who holds higher level IT certifications, its not an easy task to get them (some you have to have verifiable experience) and I wouldn't have passed the exams without my background. But I guess there have been stranger things.....would love to meet someone who has 14 certs and no IT experience ?. First question would probably be how the heck they pay for all of them and get their CEU's. I assumed that prior service members and enlisted were given preference was a "given". Almost sounds like they need some more real IT's since it appears to be a hard task to tell the real ones from the fake.......but anyway, I heard results come out within a month after the board. Is this generally correct?

LCannon

Don't let it intimidate you, you have a stellar looking package. Just hit the right points and above all else make sure the whole package is complete. I'm a lowely undergrad as well and was picked up first round. I made sure my package was complete and kept in close contact with my OR. I made sure if he needed a document signed and scanned it was done within the hour. It kept me fresh on his mind.

In my motivational statement I spoke to how as an enlisted Airmen I always rose to the occasion and assumed leadership. It helped I got awards to back it up.

On the interviews I made sure to highlight that as a reserve officer I fully expected to do work outside drill weekends, would be expected to deploy, and would transition from being the go-to performer to the go-to-mentor. These are leadership roles were applying for.

Good Morning,

I have a similar situation and my recruiter has requested interviews for next month. Is there any advice you can provide in how to prepare for the interviews?

I will have my bachelors in September, I am a reservist HM1 with 8 years in, and minimal work experience in the industry since I'm not done with school yet. I'm 37 yr old female. I have been given several leadership opportunities and have referrals from a RADM, Capt., and LCDR.

Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

Good Morning,

I have a similar situation and my recruiter has requested interviews for next month. Is there any advice you can provide in how to prepare for the interviews?

I will have my bachelors in September, I am a reservist HM1 with 8 years in, and minimal work experience in the industry since I'm not done with school yet. I'm 37 yr old female. I have been given several leadership opportunities and have referrals from a RADM, Capt., and LCDR.

Thank you.

Make sure you know the PA https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Porta...rve_Apr-2020.pdf?ver=m8i9PnQiAnRBA8Vq-ZxyVg==

I would ask your recruiter what he can tell you the panel interviewers/OIC have looked for over the past few years as each area will be different, what one person may get asked in VA is probably going to be different from the panel interview in CA.

Has your recruiter briefed you on any of this yet? He or she should know the views of the OIC and panel interview, for instance some OIC's will not give a high score or confidence rating to someone that doesn't have experience in the field, this is a way of killing an application without sticking a "not recommended" on it. Things do vary but for a few years scores less than 10 and confidence ratings of less than 90% wouldn't get selected.

When it comes to DCO the OIC/panel interview is key, you can have great LOR's from officers/senators/etc but if they don't give you the scores then none of it matters.

LCannon

Make sure you know the PA https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-208A_INTEL_Reserve_Apr-2020.pdf?ver=m8i9PnQiAnRBA8Vq-ZxyVg==

I would ask your recruiter what he can tell you the panel interviewers/OIC have looked for over the past few years as each area will be different, what one person may get asked in VA is probably going to be different from the panel interview in CA.

Has your recruiter briefed you on any of this yet? He or she should know the views of the OIC and panel interview, for instance some OIC's will not give a high score or confidence rating to someone that doesn't have experience in the field, this is a way of killing an application without sticking a "not recommended" on it. Things do vary but for a few years scores less than 10 and confidence ratings of less than 90% wouldn't get selected.

When it comes to DCO the OIC/panel interview is key, you can have great LOR's from officers/senators/etc but if they don't give you the scores then none of it matters.

Thank you for the response,

My recruiter has not briefed me on anything yet, just stated "read everything you can about the community." Thank you for providing that link I will save it and review it. I'm hoping my recruiter will have more information on the OIC and what they are looking for in the next few weeks.

Good Morning,

Thank you.
I can't totally speak for IWC, as I applied for a different job, but my interviews were pretty laid back. Just a bunch about why I want to be an officer, what I have done over my career, how my experiences will help me as an officer, do I know what I'm getting myself into, etc.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
My recruiter has not briefed me on anything yet, just stated "read everything you can about the community."

Send me a dm. I often do prep with IWC DCO applicants. As @exNavyOffRec mentioned, I can't guarantee the questions you'll be asked, but I can help you put them in large 'bins', and give suggestions on how to frame your responses.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the response,

My recruiter has not briefed me on anything yet, just stated "read everything you can about the community." Thank you for providing that link I will save it and review it. I'm hoping my recruiter will have more information on the OIC and what they are looking for in the next few weeks.
Do you know how long your OR has done DCO recruiting, that isn't much of a brief from them and it makes me think there are 2 reason for that.