• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Sasquatch

Caliengineer
Simple answer is yes. Certs are not a requirement. They may serve to strengthen your kit but your GPA degree field and overall resume are bigger influences.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Thanks!!
I needed to go back and read those. Have you actually known or even heard of anyone getting a higher entry grade?
I can see there are some selected from 1815 that came in as O2 and O3. I never really bothered to look at 1825. But remember that just because you are eligible doesn't mean that they will bring you in at O2 or O3 even if you fit the criteria.
O2 is not abnormal for 1825.

O3 and above: never seen it except for medical/chaplain/JAG.
There is an 1815 that was selected for O3 the year it came out and a couple of O2s.

Orr83

I can see there are some selected from 1815 that came in as O2 and O3. I never really bothered to look at 1825. But remember that just because you are eligible doesn't mean that they will bring you in at O2 or O3 even if you fit the criteria.

There is an 1815 that was selected for O3 the year it came out and a couple of O2s.

So why would they not bring you in as an O2 or O3 if you’re eligible and meet all the wickets they list for the advanced rank? Sorry but I guess Im not understanding why you wouldn’t get it if you meet the requirements? What’s the point of the requirements then?

Orr83

What type of companies have you worked for? CISSP is one of the most valuable security certifications out there and SEC+ is a DOD requirement if you want to have admin privileges.

My work colleagues and myself all have our cissp’s, its not as valuable as they once were. Maybe in a government job. I’ve worked both government contracting and civilian company IT security jobs, not much competition on government side. So maybe that is why they still hold it at a higher standard.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
CISSP is one of the most valuable security certifications out there
That is a dubious claim honestly. A rather older discussion on the topic but still very relevant.

and SEC+ is a DOD requirement if you want to have admin privileges.
CISSP is valuable to the government as part of their cyber security workforce program because it is the only way they can quantify "experience."

Never mind the fact that I have seen numerous people with zero security background cram for and pass the test after one of the bootcamps. That tells me all I need to know about the ISC series of certifications. They are money making machine.

I know a guy who has 12 or 13 certifications because he is a test hound (good at test taking for these types of tests) and his company pays for the tests and courses.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
So why would they not bring you in as an O2 or O3 if you’re eligible and meet all the wickets they list for the advanced rank? Sorry but I guess Im not understanding why you wouldn’t get it if you meet the requirements? What’s the point of the requirements then?
The reason you wouldn't get it is that there are not an unlimited amount of available slots for an O2 or O3.
That is a dubious claim honestly. A rather older discussion on the topic but still very relevant.
Ok I guess you can make that same argument against any certification. It is still one of the most valuable certs to have both financially and opportunistically.
CISSP is valuable to the government as part of their cyber security workforce program because it is the only way they can quantify "experience."

Never mind the fact that I have seen numerous people with zero security background cram for and pass the test after one of the bootcamps. That tells me all I need to know about the ISC series of certifications. They are money making machine.

I know a guy who has 12 or 13 certifications because he is a test hound (good at test taking for these types of tests) and his company pays for the tests and courses.
I am not sure if you were referring to SEC+ but that is one of the entry-level security cert that you need in order to have admin on a DOD network.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Ok I guess you can make that same argument against any certification.
IMHO, ISC2 is in the business of, well... go check out their financials. They are heavily incentivized to increase yearly fee revenues by ensuring people renew and to ensure new people are getting certified, it's why their "certification" criteria is all "stated/claimed" and not actually verified. Their "ethics" process is also b.s.
It is still one of the most valuable certs to have both financially and opportunistically.
Outside of government related work, I've seen zero quantifiable data to back up this claim. In the private sector, if you are entry level with zero work experience, then yes, a CISSP will help you.

In the private sector, if you are interviewing with me, I could give 2 sh*t's about your certs because I am going to put you in front of a white board and ask you to explain projects and concepts you've worked on based on your resume. If you say that you've work with/implemented network segmentation, then you better be able to draw it out and explain it "as you might to a young child, or a golden retriever."

It's a technique I learned when I qualified on submarines during my qual board (which lasted 6 hours) and that I've been using ever since. It's highly effective in weeding out the bullsh*t jargon artists (who perpetuate this industry) from the people who actually know what the hell they are talking about. Unfortunately, we have many of these "jargon artists" in the Reserve IP community.

Last edited:

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
IMHO, ISC2 is in the business of, well... go check out their financials. They are heavily incentivized to increase yearly fee revenues by ensuring people renew and to ensure new people are getting certified, it's why their "certification" criteria is all "stated/claimed" and not actually verified. Their "ethics" process is also b.s.

Outside of government related work, I've seen zero quantifiable data to back up this claim. In the private sector, if you are entry level with zero work experience, then yes, a CISSP will help you.

In the private sector, if you are interviewing with me, I could give 2 sh*t's about your certs because I am going to put you in front of a white board and ask you to explain projects and concepts you've worked on based on your resume. If you say that you've work with/implemented network segmentation, then you better be able to draw it out and explain it "as you might to a young child, or a golden retriever."

It's a technique I learned when I qualified on submarines during my qual board (which lasted 6 hours) and that I've been using ever since. It's highly effective in weeding out the bullsh*t jargon artists (who perpetuate this industry) from the people who actually know what the hell they are talking about. Unfortunately, we have many of these "jargon artists" in the Reserve IP community.
This board and thread are 100% related to government. Your argument can be used for any type of IT certification and I am not saying it is wrong however, for the USG there is probably no better cert. Even for IT recruiters for the top DOD contractors, they will all know CISSP. If you look at the old 8570 and even the 8140 the CISSP is highly useful to have.