• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

NuocH2O

I can't totally speak for IWC, as I applied for a different job, but my interviews were pretty laid back. Just a bunch about why I want to be an officer, what I have done over my career, how my experiences will help me as an officer, do I know what I'm getting myself into, etc.
That’s how my CEC interviews were like too.

Send me a dm. I often do prep with IWC DCO applicants. As @exNavyOffRec mentioned, I can't guarantee the questions you'll be asked, but I can help you put them in large 'bins', and give suggestions on how to frame your responses.

Hello all, new guy here. Found this board while searching for anything that can help give me an edge concerning the DCO process. I have recently started the process for the DC area and was contacted about scheduling my interview with the IW community next month. @fieldrat After perusing the board a bit I saw your post about assisting with interview prep. I know my recruiter is fairly new to the position, so I have not spoken with her regarding the makeup of said interview. However, as a seasoned professional, knowing a few others who have gone through the process, and reviewing the interviewer's appraisal sheet, I have a good idea of how I suspect it will go. Regardless, any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

number9

Contributor
Hello all, new guy here. Found this board while searching for anything that can help give me an edge concerning the DCO process. I have recently started the process for the DC area and was contacted about scheduling my interview with the IW community next month. @fieldrat After perusing the board a bit I saw your post about assisting with interview prep. I know my recruiter is fairly new to the position, so I have not spoken with her regarding the makeup of said interview. However, as a seasoned professional, knowing a few others who have gone through the process, and reviewing the interviewer's appraisal sheet, I have a good idea of how I suspect it will go. Regardless, any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I interviewed a couple of weeks ago for the September board, I posted a little bit about my experiences over here in a different thread. Let me know if I can help at all.

I interviewed a couple of weeks ago for the September board, I posted a little bit about my experiences over here in a different thread. Let me know if I can help at all.

Much appreciated N9. More or less what I was expecting, but good to know nonetheless. Any idea how you did on the interview though? I really do not know the process other than very generally. Do they tell you then if you score well enough to proceed that day or do you have to wait for your recruiter to reach back out? Thanks again.

ah87

Hello,

I, too, like @Tuefel Hunden am new to commenting, though I have been a consistent lurker since the Fall. I started this process last August, and am currently on track for submitting to the September boards. The journey has been a bit frustrating, as neither of my OR's have had been much help in answering my questions. I started with one last August and unexpectedly received a new one last month when the original bailed on recruiting entirely. For both OR's I am/was their first recruit, and as such, I am more than willing to give them grace as we figure this process out together; but, at the same time, this is a HUGE deal for me, and I really want to do well when my packet goes before the board.

Just this week, my OR called me to discuss setting up interviews for my application. I'm a bit concerned that this is just now getting done, considering that the application has to be submitted in a few weeks, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. With that said, I have received no direction at all from either OR about what to expect during my interview. I've read through this entire thread, as well as many others, and am thankful for everyone's commentary and advice. I've been taking it all to heart, and pray that it is enough to see me through; but at the same time, I feel like my OR is sending me off to the lion's den completely unprepared. Other than being strong and confident in my why and my valuable skills and qualities, is there anything else that is important to consider before going into the interview(s)?

@number9, I read your post in the link and it was certainly helpful. You recommend being up on current events, as well as military and naval history. Did any of this come up during your interview? I'm currently pursuing a MA in WWII Studies and read frequently (as my studies allow) outside of WWII, as well, in addition to the NYT, WSJ, and military.com news articles, etc.

number9

Contributor
Much appreciated N9. More or less what I was expecting, but good to know nonetheless. Any idea how you did on the interview though? I really do not know the process other than very generally. Do they tell you then if you score well enough to proceed that day or do you have to wait for your recruiter to reach back out? Thanks again.
I'm not really sure how well I did. My OR said I got two 10s on the panel interview but clammed up when I asked for more details. The scuttlebutt I got from here on AW is that, if you do well enough for your application to be submitted for a decision, you won't get much insight at all into how you did. (If you do quite badly, they will tell you exactly how you did.) So I'm crossing my fingers that no news is good news!

Hello,

I, too, like @Tuefel Hunden am new to commenting, though I have been a consistent lurker since the Fall. I started this process last August, and am currently on track for submitting to the September boards. The journey has been a bit frustrating, as neither of my OR's have had been much help in answering my questions. I started with one last August and unexpectedly received a new one last month when the original bailed on recruiting entirely. For both OR's I am/was their first recruit, and as such, I am more than willing to give them grace as we figure this process out together; but, at the same time, this is a HUGE deal for me, and I really want to do well when my packet goes before the board.

Just this week, my OR called me to discuss setting up interviews for my application. I'm a bit concerned that this is just now getting done, considering that the application has to be submitted in a few weeks, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. With that said, I have received no direction at all from either OR about what to expect during my interview. I've read through this entire thread, as well as many others, and am thankful for everyone's commentary and advice. I've been taking it all to heart, and pray that it is enough to see me through; but at the same time, I feel like my OR is sending me off to the lion's den completely unprepared. Other than being strong and confident in my why and my valuable skills and qualities, is there anything else that is important to consider before going into the interview(s)?

@number9, I read your post in the link and it was certainly helpful. You recommend being up on current events, as well as military and naval history. Did any of this come up during your interview? I'm currently pursuing a MA in WWII Studies and read frequently (as my studies allow) outside of WWII, as well, in addition to the NYT, WSJ, and military.com news articles, etc.
Geopolitical events came up directly in my OIC interview but not really in my panel interview, though I did reference it in some answers I gave and questions I asked. I used naval history a little bit in the panel interview when asked about a leader I admire, and when I was asked about the last book that I read.

Based on your background I wouldn't stress about military history, but I'd brush up (if you haven't already) on current Navy news and events. @fieldrat has posted some good articles that you could talk about in your interview and could use to pad the clock out if you needed to.

As I said to Tueful, I'm happy to help out in any way that I can so please feel free to PM or email if you'd like. I'm also happy to ask you mock interview questions if you think it'd be helpful.

Last edited:

LCannon

@fieldrat is very helpful.
Are you interviewing for in July in DC? - I will be too! The tenth and eleventh of July. I will be interviewing with the Intel Community for IP.

trakanon

Contributor
Best of luck to everyone my package is complete it's currently sitting in Jacksonville hoping to get my 3 interviews done in July it sounds like a daunting task I know how long things can take. This will be my first board. What I have been doing to prepare, besides the general things you should be doing to prepare for an important interview, is reading leadership books, listening to navy podcasts like Proceedings, Cutlass Leadership. I've been reading the CNO recommended reading list, I became a member of the naval institute. I joined a leadership club called Toastmasters to help me with public speaking, giving speeches and just changing my lifestyle living the navy core value principles it's truly had an impact on me. I'm more an an IT engineer on the technical side not in management. I wish for you all the best.

number9

Contributor
Best of luck to everyone my package is complete it's currently sitting in Jacksonville hoping to get my 3 interviews done in July it sounds like a daunting task I know how long things can take. This will be my first board. What I have been doing to prepare, besides the general things you should be doing to prepare for an important interview, is reading leadership books, listening to navy podcasts like Proceedings, Cutlass Leadership. I've been reading the CNO recommended reading list, I became a member of the naval institute. I joined a leadership club called Toastmasters to help me with public speaking, giving speeches and just changing my lifestyle living the navy core value principles it's truly had an impact on me. I'm more an an IT engineer on the technical side not in management. I wish for you all the best.
Best of luck to you mate, and good on you for doing all those self-improvement things as part of your application! I'll check out Cutlass Leadership..

Orr83

Hello, I have a question for everyone who is applying for multiple designators for the September board. I was told you could apply for up to 3 choices. I had selected Intel, CW, and IP. When I first completed my package for the March board I was told that I only needed interviews from an officer in the IWC to be able to list all 3 designators. Since I am already with an intel command, I did all my interviews with intel officers. Unfortunately my package didn't make it into the March board. So my package is now going to the September board, but they are telling me that I have to do interviews with the specific designator in order to apply for that one. Since everyone I interviewed with was intel, I am being told that I can't apply for IP or CW unless I have interviews with those officers. So long story short, did everyone else have to do the same or were you able to just interview with anyone in that community? I've read some posts were people were saying that they interviewed with intel for IP or CW. So I would like to find out beforehand in case I need to do more interviews. Thanks for any replies on the subject.

This is in the DCO checklist (Mar 2019):
"IWO programs Professional Community Interviews (1805, 1815, 1825, 1835) require a minimum of three interviews from IWC or Space Cadre
Officers in paygrade O4 or above or CWO4/5. At least two of the interviews must be from IWC 18XX officers, with at least one coming from the
applicant's first choice designator."

Orr83

This is in the DCO checklist (Mar 2019):
"IWO programs Professional Community Interviews (1805, 1815, 1825, 1835) require a minimum of three interviews from IWC or Space Cadre
Officers in paygrade O4 or above or CWO4/5. At least two of the interviews must be from IWC 18XX officers, with at least one coming from the
applicant's first choice designator."

Thank you!

number9

Contributor
Hello, I have a question for everyone who is applying for multiple designators for the September board. I was told you could apply for up to 3 choices. I had selected Intel, CW, and IP. When I first completed my package for the March board I was told that I only needed interviews from an officer in the IWC to be able to list all 3 designators. Since I am already with an intel command, I did all my interviews with intel officers. Unfortunately my package didn't make it into the March board. So my package is now going to the September board, but they are telling me that I have to do interviews with the specific designator in order to apply for that one. Since everyone I interviewed with was intel, I am being told that I can't apply for IP or CW unless I have interviews with those officers. So long story short, did everyone else have to do the same or were you able to just interview with anyone in that community? I've read some posts were people were saying that they interviewed with intel for IP or CW. So I would like to find out beforehand in case I need to do more interviews. Thanks for any replies on the subject.
I applied for CW, IP, and INTEL in that order. I'm almost positive that I didn't interview with any INTEL officers during the process; only CW & IP.