• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

number9

Contributor
If you look at the Program Authorizations, you might be able to come in as an O2 or O3 with relevant certifications.
I looked at a couple of dozen Security+ sample questions and they all seemed fairly straightforward. I'll download a full practice exam and see how I do. If I do well enough, I'll consider studying for & taking the exam to check the box.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you look at the Program Authorizations, you might be able to come in as an O2 or O3 with relevant certifications.
One thing I haven’t figured out yet, and maybe I could ask a medical/nurse corps officer, bc it’s common in their community, is: if you get commissioned at O3, and you pin O4 at 6 years, can you ride out O4 for 14 years (assuming you continually FOS for O5) until retirement?

Obviously that ship has sailed for me, but if/when I’m ever leading DCO 18X5s who are in that boat, it’d be good for me to know the answer.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yes....

You can stay in as an O4 until you hit 20 years of commissioned service at which point you are force retired. O5's can stay in until 28 years commissioned service at which point they are force retired.

exNavyOffRec

If you make O5 but are old like me, are you force-retired at age 62 even if you haven’t hit 28 years yet?
We had a doctor (O-6) on my ship who was past mandatory retirement age and he had been in the USN for a very long time as well, each year he would get a 1 year waiver to continue service, a doctor is a critical specialty so not sure if the example would directly apply.

number9

Contributor
Would anyone here be willing to take a look at my resume and offer suggestions on how I could improve it?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
We had a doctor (O-6) on my ship who was past mandatory retirement age and he had been in the USN for a very long time as well, each year he would get a 1 year waiver to continue service, a doctor is a critical specialty so not sure if the example would directly apply.
Doctors are different and there is a carve out for them in the U.S. Code.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you make O5 but are old like me, are you force-retired at age 62 even if you haven’t hit 28 years yet?
Yes. Mandatory Retirement at 62 years old per Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 14509, 14703, 12308.

I am fortunate. If I make O5 and stay in, I will turn 62 years old at the same time I hit 28 years commissioned service.

If I do not make O5, I get the boot in 2029 when I hit 20 years commissioned service as an O4.

SeekingIntel

Have any non-priors and/or people who did not hold a clearance who were got notice of selection in the November round hear any movement on commissioning? I can't believe are on month five with nothing...

Did anyone apply for the March selection boards? They we're today, so here comes the waiting....

Also, is it possible to get into CW without any cyber certs? But with a background in CS?