• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

For those using the X52 joystick and throttle setup, which buttons did you map the "E" and "Right-Click" buttons to? Just want to make sure I can get it to be as close as possible.

Also, is there any way to use the joystick to practice emergency procedures? If so, how?

Thank you so much for the program! for anyone asking I just configure this game with the HOTAS.

This Youtube channel explains how to adjust the throttle and joystick to keyboard and mouse.

Jacksa71

For those that have already taken the test and need to retake it. Do you guys use the audio cue training as instructed by the sim, or do you swap the keys to match the test? (even numbers for mouse right-click and odd numbers for the E button)

FloridaDad

For those that have already taken the test and need to retake it. Do you guys use the audio cue training as instructed by the sim, or do you swap the keys to match the test? (even numbers for mouse right-click and odd numbers for the E button)
I did not use the audio portion of this program because I didn’t want to get trained into always having odd or even in the same ear. The actual test will switch which side is which. I also have an advantage on that section as a music degree holder so I’m not the best person for advice on it.

Jacksa71

I know what you mean. That’s why I just click whenever I hear ofd or even (doesn’t matter what ear I hear it come out of).

FloridaDad

I did not use the audio portion of this program because I didn’t want to get trained into always having odd or even in the same ear. The actual test will switch which side is which. I also have an advantage on that section as a music degree holder so I’m not the best person for advice on it.
personally that was the easiest part of the test. The hardest part was adjusting to how sensitive the joystick was.

FloridaDad

I've been practicing with a cheaper logitech joystick. Gamestop is selling the actual stick and throttle the test uses for like $200. Do you think that's worth it for practice? I feel like this program is different enough from the actual test that using the actual stick and throttle wouldn't make a huge difference. the main point of practicing is to get familiar with tracking everything

spencerchan

Thank you so much for the program! for anyone asking I just configure this game with the HOTAS.

This Youtube channel explains how to adjust the throttle and joystick to keyboard and mouse.
You were able to program the thrustmaster HOTAS to this simulator? I just took my ASTB yesterday and my PFM score was just one point under the requirement so I'm thinking about picking up the same stick and throttle to practice. Just nervous it won't work.

SupplyGuy

This is really cool!
I think there is an emergency procedures part of the ASTBE as well.
Any chance you will be making that part of the test into the game?

FloridaDad

This is really cool!
I think there is an emergency procedures part of the ASTBE as well.
Any chance you will be making that part of the test into the game?
The program hasn't been updated in a long time and I don't believe the programmer is active on the forum anymore.

Any gauge on what difficulty is on the actual test in relation to the sim game? Ie is the test like the game set to hard?
I recently took the ASTB and I used this module to practice. There's nothing that can replicate the actual test however, practicing your eye hand coordination is extremely helpful. Work your way up the levels of difficulty and this will help. In terms of the audio and emergency section, the best advice I can give you is to breathe and listen. Don't get caught up if you get lost, stay in the present. Turning the selected ear to the front for audio does actually help. For the emergency procedures, some have recommended completing the procedure and then go back to tracking. This may lose you points by not simultaneously tracking but will help you complete it quicker. Also, if they give you a piece of paper and pencil, write the procedures down verbatim and put them in front of you for the test so you don't waste time trying to remember the exact knobs and buttons to press. Overall, don't spend the money on a throttle and joystick since you can't connect it to the simulator, just keep practicing. All the best on upcoming tests.

The2ndworst

I recently took the ASTB and I used this module to practice. There's nothing that can replicate the actual test however, practicing your eye hand coordination is extremely helpful. Work your way up the levels of difficulty and this will help. In terms of the audio and emergency section, the best advice I can give you is to breathe and listen. Don't get caught up if you get lost, stay in the present. Turning the selected ear to the front for audio does actually help. For the emergency procedures, some have recommended completing the procedure and then go back to tracking. This may lose you points by not simultaneously tracking but will help you complete it quicker. Also, if they give you a piece of paper and pencil, write the procedures down verbatim and put them in front of you for the test so you don't waste time trying to remember the exact knobs and buttons to press. Overall, don't spend the money on a throttle and joystick since you can't connect it to the simulator, just keep practicing. All the best on upcoming tests.
Most of this advice is pretty good, however if you buy the stick and throttle you can get them to connect and work with the simulator. Using programs like antimicro to bind inputs.

Theodore_McCord

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Hey man, which difficulty level do you think reflects the actual test?