• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

kalimisjif

@Jantzen_Wells just extended my PR to include letters playing (more or less) simultaneously to the numbers as distractions. I've recorded myself saying letters A through F, panned to the far left or right ear, and extended your mechanism for selecting which ones randomly play.

bcal

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this! However, every time I click on the "try it for yourself!" it just takes me to a blank screen with "loading..." in the upper left corner. Am I doing something wrong? I see it is working for other people. Thanks again

kalimisjif

Thanks for posting this! However, every time I click on the "try it for yourself!" it just takes me to a blank screen with "loading..." in the upper left corner. Am I doing something wrong? I see it is working for other people. Thanks again
Have you managed to make any progress? I haven't seen @Jantzen_Wells online in a while and he never accepted my PR, so I'm not sure he's maintaining the software. If not, I can see about supporting it and getting it into a state where people can use it (assuming it's still broken).

Wiz

Guys, the links didn't work, for me at leas. I am taking the ASTB portion this Friday, link to a stimulator would be really helpful.

bcal

Guys, the links didn't work, for me at leas. I am taking the ASTB portion this Friday, link to a stimulator would be really helpful.
Just FYI: you need to use google chrome. At least thats what I used and it worked when I clicked “try it yourself” but like “safari” it doesn’t work. Hope that helps and good luck!

Wiz

Just FYI: you need to use google chrome. At least thats what I used and it worked when I clicked “try it yourself” but like “safari” it doesn’t work. Hope that helps and good luck!
Really appreciate that, it actually worked.

Wiz

one more thing, what score should I aim in this stumulator.

bcal

Get as l
one more thing, what score should I aim in this stumulator.
Get as low as possible. Just keep practicing and you can see the scores come down. I can’t remember but I always aimed for like a 50 or less on throttle and 90 or less on stick section

FloridaDad

Holy cow that inverse axis on the mouse really threw me off haha. Going to try to get it set up for the joystick because I feel like that will be more intuitive and will be closer to the actual test. Thanks so much for developing this! Getting practice is going to be so helpful. Does anyone know what size screen they use for the actual test? I'm using a rather large monitor which makes it hard to track both throttle and position due to spacing. I'm assuming the actual test is on a smaller screen but does anyone know approximately what size?

Holy cow that inverse axis on the mouse really threw me off haha. Going to try to get it set up for the joystick because I feel like that will be more intuitive and will be closer to the actual test. Thanks so much for developing this! Getting practice is going to be so helpful. Does anyone know what size screen they use for the actual test? I'm using a rather large monitor which makes it hard to track both throttle and position due to spacing. I'm assuming the actual test is on a smaller screen but does anyone know approximately what size?
I took my test on a standard dell monitor/computer screen. Joy stick and throttle sit in front of you on the desk.