• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

just used anti-micro to bind joystick, works great! can anyone confirm i have it wired correctly to reflect the real test: pull back on stick > cursor moves up?

CVDC1221

For some reason on my computer moving my mouse right goes left, moving mouse left goes right. is that how its supposed to be? Doesn't seem right...

Southboy

What is a reasonable score to try to achieve on this. I have to take the ASTB for the third time cuz my first two scores weren't good enough, so I am practicing the hell out of this simulator with a joystick. On the default difficulty for this at a 60 second profile, I've gotten 80 80, 88 77, 94 65,and above 100 for both(in the low 100s). this is joystick and throttle. For the harder speeds whats a good score?

calpatterson117

This is a great program! Any chance you made headway with the joystick and throttle adaptation? I am taking the ASTB-E in less than a month and would love to practice with the joystick and throttle. Thanks!

What is a reasonable score to try to achieve on this. I have to take the ASTB for the third time cuz my first two scores weren't good enough, so I am practicing the hell out of this simulator with a joystick. On the default difficulty for this at a 60 second profile, I've gotten 80 80, 88 77, 94 65,and above 100 for both(in the low 100s). this is joystick and throttle. For the harder speeds whats a good score?
i would aim for at least consistent 60s/70s for both at default difficulty, pretty do-able with practice

mhardmon

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Anyone ever try using the joystick to mouse application with this? I was wondering what is a good difficulty level to play it on that's most similar to the test version using joystick to mouse or just in general.

umijs

I know this is a late reply but I just found that someone on Reddit started a google sheet doc and invited others to input their scores from this simulator. Only 5 people added their scores and 2 of them shared their ASTB scores. Both scored pretty high on the astb but their scores from this simulator are completely different. I think that's to be expected since there are other factors that affect your astb score. I think the bottom line is just to try your best. If you want you can check it out here

I know this is a late reply but I just found that someone on Reddit started a google sheet doc and invited others to input their scores from this simulator. Only 5 people added their scores and 2 of them shared their ASTB scores. Both scored pretty high on the astb but their scores from this simulator are completely different. I think that's to be expected since there are other factors that affect your astb score. I think the bottom line is just to try your best. If you want you can check it out here
i think its counting pixels so jantzen score will vary with screen size too ?

umijs

i think its counting pixels so jantzen score will vary with screen size too ?
Yes, I think screen size makes a huge difference. I have a ginormous desktop monitor and when trying out the Jantzen sim on that I have a very hard time keeping track of both the throttle and the stick targets because I have to constantly be moving my head around. On the other hand, on my small 13-inch MacBook I can just stare at the center of the screen and track both targets simultaneously with pretty good results.

OptionsDollaraire

I am definitely going to buy the HOTAS throttle and joystick. I practiced with this sim a lot using keyboard and mouse and found that it didn't translate all that well. Neither did the dichotic listening. This is just me but it was more of a practice to see what was going to be on PBM.

OptionsDollaraire

This is purely my opinion. I just installed the X52 HOTAS and started using it on the Janzten sim. Wow is it night and day difference in terms of practice. Using the "W" and "S" keys for the throttle and the mouse for the stick are wayyyy easier than using the X52 HOTAS throttle/stick. I went into the ASTB with a false sense of confidence because I was able to do well on the sim using just keyboard and mouse. If you can definitely invest in the X52, this feels like a game changer and I get to practice for about a month before my 2nd take.