• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

Ray0930

Just bought the HOTAS stick and throttle! I am not a 'computer' person and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my computer/the sim to read the joystick. I downloaded joytokey and am now stuck. Any help would be appreciated!

BillyBigMac

Forum Noob
Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Any way to connect/bind the program to an actual throttle and stick? I've got an X52, something they often use for things like this.

umijs

This is purely my opinion. I just installed the X52 HOTAS and started using it on the Janzten sim. Wow is it night and day difference in terms of practice. Using the "W" and "S" keys for the throttle and the mouse for the stick are wayyyy easier than using the X52 HOTAS throttle/stick. I went into the ASTB with a false sense of confidence because I was able to do well on the sim using just keyboard and mouse. If you can definitely invest in the X52, this feels like a game changer and I get to practice for about a month before my 2nd take.
Since you took the ASTB already, would you say the sensitivity on the Jantzen sim is a lot higher compared to the actual test? When I'm using a hotas the sensitivity for the Jantzen sim seems kinda high.

OptionsDollaraire

Since you took the ASTB already, would you say the sensitivity on the Jantzen sim is a lot higher compared to the actual test? When I'm using a hotas the sensitivity for the Jantzen sim seems kinda high.
The deadzone in Janzten seems larger. So the sensitivity seems higher in the ASTB. I’ve noticed with the throttle in Jantzen is super slow and you can’t catch up all the time, the joystick seems the same though. The throttle in the ASTB isn’t like that though, should be able to catch up to the target all the time.

FlightEngineerBobby

SNA Applicant (ISPP)
trying to figure out how to technology on this thing. i just bought the hotas x52 running on a macbook. i downloaded joystick mapper and built what i thought would work in the "bind". the stick has a ton of dead zones. any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Austinson

SNA Selected 08 Sept. - 3rd Submission
I was wondering if anyone could direct me on how to setup the X52 with the online Jantzen Sim?

Austinson

I was wondering if anyone could direct me on how to setup the X52 with the online Jantzen Sim?
For anyone else having a hard time, this YouTube video explains how to make a joystick work as your mouse and has the AntiMicro link in the description. Attached is a saved configuration file for AntiMicro that seems to be as close as my memory of the ASTB can get me. This was setup with an X52 HOTAS.

Attachments

• Configuration_X52_HantzenSim.joystick - Shortcut.zip
    653 bytes · Views: 131

Austinson

Could anyone give any advice as to what joystick/throttle to get for mac & how to connect it to the simulator
I tried everything Ic could think of to make it run on my MacBook. I ended up buying a desktop that had windows 11.
The Logitech X52 is the exact one I used on the actual ASTB.

Valerie9795

I tried everything Ic could think of to make it run on my MacBook. I ended up buying a desktop that had windows 11.
The Logitech X52 is the exact one I used on the actual ASTB.
Yeah I ended up getting an old laptop from a friend that I can use so I’m good to go now. I just took the ASTB this week and failed miserably on the simulator. Found a throttle/joystick recommended by a couple of people in this thread for about $180 and it’s about the same as the one from the test. How did you connect yours to the simulator?