• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

Jantzen_Wells

Dude this thing is freakin' AWESOME!! How long was this portion of the test? I am trying to practice with as realistic conditions as possible. Anyways, hell of a job!
Thanks! I appreciate it. That portion was multiple spurts, about a minute long each if I remember correctly.

cvmm

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
this is amazing lol thankyou

kellay408

IIRC on the test the dichotic listening portion announced the numbers in both ears at the same time, just something to keep in mind since this simulator only announces a single number per side of speaker

This is only my first night trying it, but I'm gonna consistently practice and get that number lower. THANK YOU so much for making this! I'm gonna be honest and say that the Top Gun soundtrack made cringe lol. But at the same time its still awesome hahaha.

Definitely a big help. THANK YOU.

Jantzen_Wells

IIRC on the test the dichotic listening portion announced the numbers in both ears at the same time, just something to keep in mind since this simulator only announces a single number per side of speaker

You are right about that, not every aspect of it is exactly true to form.

Jantzen_Wells

View attachment 29644

This is only my first night trying it, but I'm gonna consistently practice and get that number lower. THANK YOU so much for making this! I'm gonna be honest and say that the Top Gun soundtrack made cringe lol. But at the same time its still awesome hahaha.

Definitely a big help. THANK YOU.

I would be lying if I said I enjoyed listening to the same damn song every time I ran it to test it haha, glad you're enjoying it.

villo0692

this is great, just a small thing, when you take the ASTB, you are in control of the target symbol and you follow the aircraft.....just so no one gets thrown off during the test.....other than that its quite awesome, good job

Jantzen_Wells

this is great, just a small thing, when you take the ASTB, you are in control of the target symbol and you follow the aircraft.....just so no one gets thrown off during the test.....other than that its quite awesome, good job

Yeah I'm sure it's different. If I remember correctly, it will have you "calibrate" the stick so it will be very clear what you are in control of.

Jacksa71

Trying to log on now but it says loading, using safari and chrome on a mac. Also, are you guys actually using joy sticks or??

Jantzen_Wells

Trying to log on now but it says loading, using safari and chrome on a mac. Also, are you guys actually using joy sticks or??

Safari isn't completely compatible with the Javascript library we used to build it. Try using Chrome or Firefox instead. The program is intended to be used with mouse and keyboard only for now.