• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

HalfBreed

None
1. The main job of navigators (NFOs) is not to fly the plane. However they do teach us the basics in Contacts just to build situational awareness. Very often the IP will let us take the stick (heavily supervised) and fly the plane ourselves. In fact they generally prefer that you do the maneuvers in Contacts. They will also let you do some flying in Instruments once you've proven that you can do all of the other stuff (comms, reading instrument plates, etc.). Is it required that you fly? No. Is it a good experience? Yes. You never know when your instructor might ask you to take the stick so he can flip through the IFR Sup, and while striaght and level is not hard, it helps to know that you've at least done it before.

2. Flight school can be easier for some than others, but generally you have to spend a good amount of time studying. Nothing they teach you is particularly difficult, just new, different, or time consuming (did someone say chum?). Sometimes you will have more than enough time to study, other times you will be struggling to keep up. Again, it differs from person to person, but that is generally the case. As far as study habits go, you should know by now what works for you. Use whatever method works best for you, unless you start doing poorly, then ask your buddies what they are doing to study.

Hope I answered your questions.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You find that out in Primary now? Are they selecting E-2s in primary as well?

E-2s are selected out of Intermediate.

Cheers,
Bubba.

PS... I just got back from my x-country. More to follow tomorrow.

beam101

Bubba or anyone

I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer....how long does it take to get winged from start of all trainging to end if you take the strike/strike fighter pipe line?

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
Hey beam101 put down the bottle of vodka before posting man. I've seen fewer typos in japanese instruction manuals. Welcome to airwarriors :)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer....how long does it take to get winged from start of all trainging to end if you take the strike/strike fighter pipe line?

I commissioned June '03. Arrived in PCola Aug '03. Started IFS September '03 and API in October '03... Winged in May '05.

That's about as fast as it'll get... I got a lot of lucky breaks with regards to class dates and such. The only major holdup I had was Hurricane Ivan in the fall of '04.

beam101

Turnandburn, do you ever go on "missions", I mean, is naval aviation used as often as say the Air Force or Army helo's? Do you guys drop bombs or just fly around? I've got a buddy in the Air Force and he said he had know idea what you guys did.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Turnandburn, do you ever go on "missions", I mean, is naval aviation used as often as say the Air Force or Army helo's? Do you guys drop bombs or just fly around? I've got a buddy in the Air Force and he said he had know idea what you guys did.
Naval Aviation is just basically a flying club. We fly around the country picking up chicks, drinking booze, going to sporting events and generally having a good time. It's an awesome job with the tax payers are giving us all these fancy war planes and big pay checks just so we can get laid and have fun.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Naval Aviation is just basically a flying club. We fly around the country picking up chicks, drinking booze, going to sporting events and generally having a good time. It's an awesome job with the tax payers are giving us all these fancy war planes and big pay checks just so we can get laid and have fun.

I knew I picked the right service :D

beam101

Yea, but do you see "combat". Or do just the above until Iraq gets boats and aircraft