• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't Brain Dump

Great post. Don't brain dump...yet. Low level procedures in the fleet are nothing like what you have to endure in the TRACOM. All that busy work you do with wind and time corrections, aside from teaching you the fundamental principles, is to task saturate you and fill up your proverbial bucket. In the fleet, those more mundane course and time correction issues are largely automated by the systems in your jet, but your time now gets devoted to mission tasks like setting up your weapons and sensors, reacting to threats, and keeping track of your wingman, all while talking on 2 or 3 radios at the same time. Suffice it to say that it just gets better and better, so there is a light at the end of the TRACOM tunnel. :D

Brett

koolkatsalley

here are some vnav index cards - ready to print.

Attachments

• VNAV-A.doc
    26 KB · Views: 46
  • VNAV-B.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 36
  • VNAV.doc
    80.5 KB · Views: 38

koolkatsalley

also, here are some T6 emergency, instrument, and just good to know questions i.e., QOD collection, I like to keep adding to them so that I can overlook them from time to time!

Attachments

• DQs.doc
    126 KB · Views: 59
  • EODs.doc
    103.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IODs.doc
    54 KB · Views: 69
  • QODs.doc
    49.5 KB · Views: 312

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Here's a little more VNAV advice for you...

Don't get in a fight with your instructor after you land. Dude has hands on my harness and was screaming at me. We just did not click in the cockpit. We got along great on the ground, but not so much in the air. I still passed that flight, but I never flew with him again.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a little more VNAV advice for you...

Don't get in a fight with your instructor after you land. Dude has hands on my harness and was screaming at me. We just did not click in the cockpit. We got along great on the ground, but not so much in the air. I still passed that flight, but I never flew with him again.

That demands an explanation. :D

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Forms

Its been a while, but here goes:

Forms

Form ground school is all of a few hours long... more of a brief than a class. Pay very close attention here. You'll get a bit of good information. You'll go over what to looks for to maintain good positioning, hand signals, comm planning, section maneuvering andflight conduct issues. The brief is not adequate to prep you for the flights.

In that case, neither is the FTI. Your key to surviving forms is to get with people who've recently completed the flights. There is a myriad of info that the instructors expect you to know that's not in the FTI or the brief: figureing out joker fuel, how to "properly" depart NPA, some hand signals not covered in FTI or brief and others.

Form Briefs

You'll run the show in the briefs. You'll have to make a briefing board. Its not a huge deal, as the format for the board is in the back of the FTI. You'll have everything on the board from your callsign to the questions of the day to ORM and CRM.

Use the board for the briefs. You and your partner will be doing most of the talking. The IP's will stop to ask you questions or tell the other person to start talking is they deem fit. (Note* The less your IPs say, the better you're doing.)

When it comes to flight conduct, you'll brief the whole flight, from walking out to the aircraft to getting out of the aircraft. This includes taxiing, departure, all FTI maneuvers recovery for both legs and VR-1024 conduct (2nd flight), as you'll do form flights as out and ins.

Form Cards are your friend. You'll have a card with your comm plan and flight conduct plan in the plane with you. This is so you don't have to completely memorize all of the maneuvers you'll be doing. You can refer to your card to see what you have and haven't done and plan accordingly. The low-level flight form card will have which type of turn you'll be doing at each turn point.

First Flight

Your first flight will be an out an in. You'll work on section maneuvering. Departing the field, joining up, different formations, turns, ect. The key to this flight is area management since you'll be working the MOA. You do not have to do all of the maneuvers in the order that you briefed. Have an idea of what each maneuver will do to the formation, and use that to stay in the MOA blocks your flight is working. Make recommendations to the IP about which maneuver to do in order to stay in the MOA. He may or may not take your advice, but it shows you've got SA.

The tail chase is the most fun part forms. Its a demonstration of how you can use basic aerobatics to either keep an aircraft in your sight or evade an aircraft. The IP will demonstrate lead, lag and intercept pursuit. As lead, you'll have to help your IP keep -2 in sight as well as make appropriate altitude and airspeed calls. You'll do the same as -2... keep lead in sight and make appropriate calls. Its easier for -2 to keep lead in sight.

Going out, you'll work most of your maneuver from the cruise position. Going back to NPA, you'll work in tactical spread, most likely in the warning area southwest of NPA. Same principles apply in the warning area... area management. (Best bet here is to do all turns in the same direction, all to the right or all to the left.)

The biggest thing to remember with the turns in forms for what it does to the formation geometrically, it doesn't matter which way you turn. What matters is who's outside the turn and who's inside the turn.

Second Flight

For your second form flight, you'll fly the VR-1024 low level route. This is the first reason why you shouldn't dump the VNAV info. Its nothing special, except you'll be flying a little lower and a little faster than the VNAVS. No big deal.

You'll fly the first half of the route, stop for lunch, switch lead and fly the rest of the route. You'll fly the route in tactical spread, and all of your turns will be tac-turns, which you've already practiced, so again, nothing really new here.

You will fly the VR-1024 at 240 kts. You won't have to worry about staying on time for the route. Just on course. If you find yourself off course, correst. Off time, just update the ETA to the next leg.

As for the chart, its almost the same as a VNAV chart. There's a little more that goes into it, but that's all in the FTI.

That's about all I can remember about forms.

Clean Up Items

Forms have been likened to a "T-6 Final Exam". It kinda is, but it really isn't. You're last two flights will put VNAV and Form skills together, but don't sweat it.

Theses are your last T-6 flights. Enjoy them. Take a camera and take pics form the plane. It is allowed. Just don't let it sap your SA.

Don't make the same mistakes in both briefs... especially if you have the same instructor.

To reitereate: TALK TO PEOPLE AHEAD OF YOU. THE FTI WILL NOT PREP YOU FOR THE FLIGHTS

After forms, its on to T-1's. More on those later.

Cheers,
Bubba

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
That demands an explanation. :D

Brett

Ok, I wouldn't say I excelled in VNAVs, but I held my own. These particular flights (on out and in) weren't some of my best performances, so that got the instructor (OPS) in a bit of a tizzy. On top of that, I tend to have a speech pattern that is very flat and not too animated, no matter what I'm doing, and some people take that as apathy. I also tend to be a bit of a deep breather. At any rate, OPS took my flat tone and the sound of my deep breathing (what he thought were constant sighs) as boredom and apathy. He thought I didn't care about flying or being in the program, and he thought I was just lazy and had a bad attitude.

I'm not one for drama, but I wrote him a long letter after the flight while I was waiting for my gradesheet. I assumed I was going to fail the flight regardless, but I wanted him to know just how much I wanted to be there. As a lateral transfer guy, I assure you I wanted to be there. At any rate, he sat around for a while and decided not to write up my gradesheet that day because he didn't want his feelings to influence the grades. I passed both flights and we had a nice CRM talk in the debrief the next day.

I didn't really enjoy VNAVs that much, even when I was having a rockstar flight, and that was just one of the things that influenced me to go to E-2s.

Oh, and speaking of E-2s...if that rumor is still going around down in Pcola that E-2s are much easier than going to VT-86, that's just a giant LIE!!! We actually have a former Wing 6 instructor who transitioned and is now a student and he says this stuff is way, way harder than anything at VT-86.

Now who do you have to bribe to get a set of wings under your name when you post?:D

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
At any rate, OPS took my flat tone and the sound of my deep breathing (what he thought were constant sighs) as boredom and apathy. He thought I didn't care about flying or being in the program, and he thought I was just lazy and had a bad attitude.

I'm not one for drama, but I wrote him a long letter after the flight while I was waiting for my gradesheet. I assumed I was going to fail the flight regardless, but I wanted him to know just how much I wanted to be there. As a lateral transfer guy, I assure you I wanted to be there. At any rate, he sat around for a while and decided not to write up my gradesheet that day because he didn't want his feelings to influence the grades. I passed both flights and we had a nice CRM talk in the debrief the next day.

I just wish my last instructor had did that. The thing that got me was I didnt have a good scan and stuff had just not clicked.

What really pissed me off was when the Commodore bitched about grads wanting to get out while she had given me the boot the week before, and I knew I wanted to stay.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
T-1 Land

T-1 Land is not a very happy place to be. You get 8 X's inthe T-1: 3 low levels, 4 instrument hops and a checkride that's a low level and then an instrument hop back to NPA.

Ground School

Ground school is 2-3 weeks long. You'll learn the same stuff as T-6 ground school: aircraft systems and the intricacies of the instrumentation. EP's are easy because there's only 6 of them.

Systems doesn't go as in depth as the T-6. The class seems to be designed to give you enough knowledge about the aircraft to safely fly it.

You'll also learn how to do the low level charts. They are essentially the same as the T-6 form low level chart. There's a bit more that goes onto the chart, but not much. DO NOT BRAIN DUMP THE T-6 CHART MAKING INFO!!

AirNavs

You'll excercise the same airnav skills in the T-1 as you did in the T-6. Point to points, turnpoint procedures, etc, etc. You're now sitting next to the pilot and you have the instructor (who is now an NFO instead of a pilot) looking over your shoulder and WILL catch every mistake you make You'll also flying at 420 KTAS instead of 270 or 240.

You'll no longer be navigating using VORs... now, you'll be using TACAN, which means you can shoot approaches other than the ILS and GCA at NPA. As intimidating as this sounds, naving off of a TACAN is not different than using a VOR.

You get 4 of these flights. The 3rd is an approach hop. In other words, you'll do 3 or 4 drop in's alog the route. Moral of this story is now how to read an approach plate. But if you've made it this far, that shouldn't be an issue.

Low Levels

Low level skils are the same as developed in the T-6. Same principles are in effect, except you're flying 500 to 1500 AGL instead of whatever MSL, so there's some up and down, and you're flying at 240 KGS instead of the T-6 180.

Its easier to see your turnpoints and intermediate checkpoints because you don't have the pilots noggin in the way. This means you can actually see outside the front of the aircraft.

If you're looking for something going down the left side of the jet, talk the pilot's eyes onto it, and he'll mark it for you if you ask. Also, keep an eye on the pilots quirks because it can give you an idea of where you are in relation to your black line.

As far as course orrections are concerned, its essentially the same as the T-6. The times and speeds are different, but the same principles apply.

You'll also be flying the published VR routes, which you should be familliar with from forms.

Checkride

Your checkride is a combonation AirNav and Low Level. You'll fly from NPA and do the VR-1023 route, hit your target and climb for an airnav back home.

Checklists/PCL (Or Why I Despise The USAF Way Of Doing Things)

Unlike in the T-6, you can't just roll into a check list at the appropriate time. You have to essentially ask the pilot's permission to do the checklist. For example, if you decide its time to do the starting engines checklist, the dialogue would go something like this:

Stud: Standing by "Starting engines checklist"
Pilot: Ready "Starting engines checklist"
Stud: *First Item*

All of the checklists are challenge and response. If you don't say the item EXACTLY as its written in the PCL, you have to redo the item. You can't say "Flight controls.... free and correct".... you have to say "flight controls.... checked".

The PCL is kind of retarded as well. The notes, warnings and cautions associated with any of the checklists are in the PCL. Thusly, you HAVE to carry the big Dash-1 in the aircraft with you so you can read the notes, warnings and cautions associated with the EP checks in the event of an emergency.

Clean Up Items

Moral of the story is thatthe onlything you can brain dump in T-6 land is form conduct.

The brief in T-1s is student run and is very similar to the format used for T-6 Forms. The briefing board format and brief coduct can be found in the squadron briefing room guides. They are your friends. The first brief you'll do will be an instructor demo, but you'll still need to make the board. Once you go meet the pilot, you'll run through a pilot brief. The pilot brief is in the briefing guides. The INFO will demo this the first flight as well. After the first flight, you'll be expected to run the briefs yourself. The only exeption if the first low level. The INFO will demo how to brief the low level portion of the route and the low level portion of the pilot brief.

Over all, you'll be expected to make more decisions about the conduct of the flight both before and during the flight. After all, we are training to be mission commanders.

The pilots are no longer your instructors, but definitely listen to what they have to say. The pilots are all retired military aviators from the Navy, AF and Marines. There may be a couple active duty USAF pilots seeing as how all of the T-1's are on loan from Randolph AFB.

Thats all for now. I'm attempting to tame the T-39 at present, so more on that as it comes.

Cheers,
Bubba

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Forgot Some Stuff

There are no T-1 sims. The first time you sit in the aircraft is the first time you get to manipulate controls and switches. Up until then, the only swithcology you getto practice will be using the cockpit mockup or the cockpit poster. This sucks @$$.

Also, T-1's are the last thing you'll do in Intermediate. Once complete, you'll either go up to VAW-120 for E-2's or over to VT-86 for advanced Jets.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ok... So I've decided to take all of this info and compile it in to a website. Basically, my narratives as well as any good gouge attatchments that are on here and whatever else I have lying around. I'll probably get it started this weekend. If you've anything you might want to add to it, send it to webmaster@midnbubba05.com Keep in mind I intend this to be NFO centric, so no pilot stuff. I'll take gouge from any of the NFO training squadrons (even the RAGs).

Cheers,
Bubba

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
So, since I haven't heard anything about said website (and with the recent developments), I'm sure I won't hear anything for a while.

No biggie, just T1's left before the real hurt begins.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah... brand new son and no computer for a while == no website. That and the stress of 86. Rest assured, the website will appear at some point.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Yeah... brand new son and no computer for a while == no website. That and the stress of 86. Rest assured, the website will appear at some point.

no worries, man. Just be assured I'm going to find you for everything I do i 86.