• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
No, I just chose not to use correct sentences for the posts. but I do love my friend Jack and of course my friend Jim

Why choose to be ignorant? Why not learn how to use a complete sentence and puncuation? Why not make an attempt to show that you have some educational background? :icon_rage

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Well, to get back on track....

I have a question for the SNFO brothers going through Primary:

1. For C2001-2003, can we use the in-flight guide for the checklists, or is it strictly just the NATOPS PCL?

2. Where da heck do you attach the blue brains?? To the same kneestrap as the PCL? Or the kneeboard?

I've been studying the "Hollywood script" and its just a biatch because the reply differs from the NATOPS checklist. Anyways, thanks for the help dudes.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fezz,

Some A's for your Q's...

1. Use the PCL. The only thing you need the blue brains for is the Instrument Checklist and the FL180 check (which you won't use in primary at all)

2. Put the in flight guides on your knee board. Do't attach your PCL to your knee board (it gets in the way of stuff and is hard to read). put it on the opposite knee or something.

As for the hollywood script, follow that for the sims and just go by what the PCL says when you go flight side.

Hope it helps,
Bubba

koolkatsalley

more stuff for primary instrument gs, 2b47, & sims

Hey there,

Just finished Instrument sims; by the skin of my teeth & am getting ready for Primary I-Nav flight side. Here are the flashcards and other stuff that I created to help me out w/ my studies. Hey, anyone got anything on what to expect flight side - any good info - !!!gouge!!! - will help!:clock_125

Attachments

• Instrument Navigation Supplement.doc
    90.5 KB · Views: 70
  • i2003calls.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 59
  • instruments-b.doc
    115.5 KB · Views: 47
  • instruments-a.doc
    65.5 KB · Views: 37

koolkatsalley

rest of flash cards

Here are the rest of the flash cards I created, hope they print good for ya!:icon_smil Oh yeah, the last post I included 'Ins Nav Supp' - this was a bulleted version I created of the INAV Supp to help break some of the more important info down in some type of orderly fashion & 'i2003 calls' I created one for every event I did in the sims, just kinda a way to help me chairfly. Good Luck!

Attachments

• moreinstruments-a.doc
    35 KB · Views: 58
  • moreinstruments-b.doc
    57.5 KB · Views: 40

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Intermediate instruments

Ground School

Intermediate instruments only has one day of ground school. You really don't learn much more than the the high enroutr charts are a little different than the low charts as well as some tips on route planning.

Simulator Events

There are 5 mulator events in intermediate. Again, the only real difference between these and primary instrument sims are that a couple of the routes involve going into the high structure.

Flights

The first 3 flights in intermediate are run like primary flights: stereo routes in the low structure.

The next 6 flights are a little different because you get to plan out your own routes, and the flights are designed to be flown as out and ins, meaning that you fly out to an airfield, get food, gas and then fly back to NPA.

You'll also have the opportunity to fly higher than 18,000 ft.

You'll also get a cross country flight during this time period. Basically, fly out to somewhere (possibly cool, possibly not) for a weekend. Best bet is to go to an airshow.

Even though you're doing the same basic stuff as primary, you'll be held to a higher standard.

BTW... no checkride for intermediate instruments.

Cheers,
Bubba

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Intermediate AirNavs are an excellent opportunity to inflate your NSS like no other. I had absolute rock-star grades solely because it was doing the same thing over... and over... and since you plan your own routes, there's no surprises.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Unless you get this reply from clearance: "Buckxxx, we don't have your clearance." Twice... from two different clearing angencies...

Yeah, I've never heard that either...

Take charge!! You're not a damned stickmonkey! "Opportunity to excel" :) :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Not saying it caused any major issues... threw me for a loop for like 2 seconds. Filed on the taxi way, changed plan in the air. Took the opportunity and excelled.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Also in the intermediate sims they'll throw an EP or two at you. So be prepared for that. You may also deal with a NORDO situation.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Just had my 1st contact flight. IT WAS AWESOME! I was surprised how much flying my onwing let me do. We had the MOA all to ourselves for like 45 mins so it was fun just flying around and seeing the different OLFs. Pulled 4Gs for the AGSM. It was a weird/awesome feeling. Anyways, I hope I dont get sick for the spin tmrw. Overall, it was a great day of flying :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
VNAVs (Visual Navigation)

Let me preface this by saying VNAVs ARE NOT A HARD AS THEY SEEM AT FIRST.

That having been said, the trick to VNAVS is getting ahead and staying ahead. Both on the ground and in the air.

On The Ground:

There are 3 days of ground school for VNAVs. Here, you'll learn turnpoint procedures, chart prep, scan techniques and standard course/wind/timing corrections.

As far as the turnpoint procedures go, you just gotta memorize them and be able to spout them off. Same as instrument hops, but you have to be a bit quicker.

The charts are the hardest part. They are not hard to do, just time consuming. And they have to be pretty much perfect. You've got a chart checklist in the FTI. Use it. One piece of advice is not to ink anything in until you check it against at leat two other studs and if you 're cool with a VNAV qualed instructor, him (or her) too. It helps not to have to re-do a chart b/c a course line is off. Erasing and re-drawing if alot easier.

Get the charts done early. You should have all your charts done by the time you fly your second hop. The night before, all you should be calculating is the EFR and MCF fuels. After your 2nd hop, any route is fair game for following flights.

The Brief

As always, a good brief is key to a good flight. Two thing for the brief:

1. Have a plan to get on and off the routes. If its not the best plan, the IP will say so. DOn't sweat it. Just have a plan. Follow roads, railroad tracks, rivers, etc. You don't have to make a bee-line for the point.

2. Know the turnpoints. Be able to give a good description of the turnpoint with out looking at the chart or your pilot card. Something like "Pt. A is a rail bridge over a river with a power line running north/south just to the right. Pt. B is a red-roof building in the middle of a field... etc etc".

Everything else is pretty much the same: EP's (keep in mind you've got a buch of different considerations for executing the checklists for an EP at 2000' to 2500' AGL than at 15K), discuss items, procedures, POD questions of the day... all that still applies.

The Flight

Here's your bread and butter.

1. First thing is to stick with your plan for getting out to the route. Visual navigation starts as soon as you cancel IFR coming out of NPA. You're relying on ground references from that point on. Again, roads, railroads, lakes and river are your friends. You don't have to bee-line from NPA to the point. Also remember to call Anniston for weather on the route.

2. Keep your head out of the cockpit. You're not flying on your instruments. Quick glances to airspeed, altitude, clock and the chart are all you need. Also give a quick look at the fule when you give your 2-min prior call.

3. Clock, Chart, Ground. That's your chart scan. Glance at the clock, note the time. Glance at the chart, figure out what you should be seeing. Look outside, relate what you see to what you should be seeing. If you don't, you can convince yourself that the road on the ground is any of 100 on the chart. And vice versa. Never compare what you see on the ground with whats on the chart unless you know the elapsed time. You will lose yourself.

4. Make corrections early and often. As soon as you realize you're off time or off course, correct. You also don't have to hold a correction in for the full time called for by the FTI. If you're supposed to hold a correction in for 3 minutes, and you realize at 2:45 you've corrected, take it out. On the same token if 3 minutes comes, and you see a land mark that says you're not fully corrected, keep it in for a little more time. This means you have to use the intermediate checkpoints you chose when you did your chart. They are your friend.

5. Target leg. Anything goes here. Correct, correct, correct. You can do almost anything with in the aircrafts performance limits in order to correct on-course, on-time.

6. Goin Home. Most likely, you'll stay VFR if weather permits. But be ready to transition to IFR flight. Also be ready to shoot instrument approaches into NPA (or whatever field you're landing at for an out and in). You can fly the route perfectly and piss away the flight due to a bad ILS or whatever. Remember your plan for getting off the route? Just like going out to the route, stick with your plan. Improvise as neccessary, but remember... if you don't pick up an IFR clearance, you're still flying visual.

Other Stuff

On your first flight, you'll feel nearly clueless. Its mostly a demo, but you'll be expected to know the procedures. The IP will help you out alot. Caviot to that is that as you advance in the block, you'll get less help.

Talk with people ahead of you. They'll have some pretty good info on how to get on and off the routes.

Thats about all I can think of right now. I'll add if I remember any other tidbits.

Cheers,
Bubba

HalfBreed

None
Some other helpful notes:

1. Turn on Time- if you have been following correction procedures throughout your whole flight, then you really shouldn't be more than a few seconds late (unless you suddenly get a nasty wind change). If you can't see your point, then turhn at the time you were supposed to get there. I did this numerous times especially on the tougher routes like VNAVs 3 and 4 and it saved me.

2. Look at the Pictures- They are not always the best pictures but it certainly helps to have a general idea of what you are looking for, plus it can help you describe the point to your IP. Sometimes a dam is just a straight piece of grass next to a lake so it helps to have looked at the pictures. The pictures can be found on the CD they give you and on VT-10s website. I highly encourage you to look at the pictures for the checkride. I was being pushed through so fast at the time that I never had a chance to look at the pictures and subsequently failed the checkride even after an awesome end of block 1 hr before. Afterwards I consulted other students and we all agreed that most of the points on the checkride have landmarks near them that almost exactly the same. Make sure to pick the right one or the mistakes can add up.

3. Do well and enjoy it- I never wanted to be a pilot. I wanted someone to fly me around so I could look out the windows. Take advantage of VNAVs since looking out the window is for the most part your only job. If you do well, a lot of IPs will do a "victory roll" after the route. For those who enjoy aerobatics, have fun. Your IP may also let you fly a little (for those who wanted to be pilots).

4. Don't Brain Dump- You will be flying VNAVs again in T-1 land. These will be much easier since your pilot and instructor will actually help you look for things (as long as you tell them to). Even though (in my opinion), T-1 VNAVs are easier than T-6, the better you do now, the better you will do later.

Enjoy and hopefully you will end up in a plane where you have windows you can look out of.