• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ok... so I started NFO primary about two weeks ago. I figure I'll let y'all know what its all about for those of you SNFO's on here who've yet to start and such.
There's a summary of the NFO pipeline on here, and its a good one. But I figure I'll give y'all my take onwhat my class is getting now.

I'll try to post about once a week or so during ground school and after each flight/sim event, or when something happens.

Enjoy.

Here's the first two weeks:

Week 1 (1-5 May)
So I'm done week one of Primary. Not too hard of a week... but busy.

Monday: Nothing but check-in briefs. First was the academic brief. They laid down the academic failure, leave/liberty and a few other policies, as well as told us which squadrons we were in. I am in VT-4 (Training Squadron 4), Home of the Warbucks... yes, I am a fighting drunken duck. After the academic brief and Wing Commodore brief, we sat and talked with the CO, STUCON Officer, Class Advisor and the Academics Officer. The XO was supposed to be there, but he had a meeting that ran over. The VT-10 guys did the same on their side of the house. Us guys in VT-4 got call signs... nicknames that pretty much make fun of you.

Tuesday: Tues AM was more checkin stuff. Medical records checkin and the Chaplain brief. Tues PM was the start of academics: Metro. More on Metro later. After metro, we went to the PR guys to turn in our helmets and get fitted for G-suits. I ended up having to exchange my helmet for an XL... the large was just a tad too small.

Weds & Thurs. Wednesday and Thursday were more Metro. We got an intro to the computer based training (CBT). The CBT modules are the absolute most boring things in the world. That being said, they help immensely in learning the material. Honestly, the more time spent on the CBT's, the better you'll do on the test.

Friday was the metro test. Not too hard. 50 questions, multiple choice, computer based. Unlike API, you get your score about 5 seconds after you finish the exam. I got a 94. Not too bad, but 2nd lowest grade in the class. After the Metro test, we had the syllabus brief. Short, sweet and to the point. In the afternoon, we started T-6 systems. Didn't go in depth about anything, just an overview. We're still waiting to find out if our class will be the Guinea Pigs for the new two-test format of systems or still go with the old one-test format.

Random tip: Sims. Start early, go often. Memorize EP's and limitations before you start primary. Once you start, go to the sims and practice EP's and checklists. It'll get you more comfortable with the cockpit layout and what switches, buttons and levers you'll be using for the different procedures. Basically, practice your switchology as often as you can.

Ok... now you're prolly asking yourself "What's metro?". Well, metro is how to read the million and a half different types of weather reports you'll come across as an aviator, and how they affect your flight plan. You learn wich notices affect the different phases of flight, what each one means, and which ones you need to pay attention to. For instance, you learn that you use a TAF (Terminal Airdrome Forecast) to figure out if you need an alternate landing site. However, you also learn that if you're landing there at 8pm, and a PIREP (Pilot Report) comes out at 5 pm, you probably don't need to pay too much attnetion to it. Stuff like that. To put it simply, its that art of making heads and tails out of what the weather guessers are saying.

Week 2 (8-12 May)

T-6 systems. That's about all we did this week for class. The fist systems book goes from about Monday-Thursday, and the 2nd systems book starts on Thursday, if you keep up the LRC lessons according to the schedule. Systems isn't all that hard. The catch is that its alot of information thrown at you very quickly. You could turn T-6 systems into a 2-semester college course and still not cover everything. We get it in just about a week and a half or so.

Basically, you learn about all of the different systems in the T-6: Fuel, electrical, propulsion, hydraulics, etc, their normal and abnormal operations, faults that can show, and what to look for to identify different emergency situations.

Now's about the time to have the EPs and procedures down almost cold. You should know all of the bold-face memory EPs and where to find the other EPs in the pocket checklist. You should know cockpit switchology cold too, as well as have gone over all of the checklists a few times. Some people think that they can learn the cockpit and EP's during week 3... not really. Aside from studying for systems and metro, week 1 and 2 should also be spent familiarizing yourself with the cockpit, as from what we've been told by classes ahead of us, week 3 is pretty busy (3 test week) and should be spent preparing for the sim events. I'll let y'all know about that next week.

Primary rumor mill:

The rumor mill running around Trawing-6 right now is that we'll be moving from having our inflight guides strapped to our kneboards to actually having the pocket checklist strapped to the kneeboard. The appearant reasoning behind this is that the PCL and the in-flight guide checklists are slightly different. Both work to successfully start up the aircraft. But the PCL is taken directly from the USAF Dash-1 manual (USAF eq. to NATOPS)and the inflight guides aren't. Both work equally well. Yet some of the necessary checklists are not in the PCL... go figure. More onthat when we get official word.

By the way, we also found out that we will not be getting two systems tests, as it didn't get approval in time. We'll be getting the one 50-question test at the end of the block rather than the two 35 question tests.

Cheers,
Bubba

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
TheBubba said:
The rumor mill running around Trawing-6 right now is that we'll be moving from having our inflight guides strapped to our kneboards to actually having the pocket checklist strapped to the kneeboard. The appearant reasoning behind this is that the PCL and the in-flight guide checklists are slightly different. Both work to successfully start up the aircraft. But the PCL is taken directly from the USAF Dash-1 manual (USAF eq. to NATOPS)and the inflight guides aren't. Both work equally well. Yet some of the necessary checklists are not in the PCL... go figure. More onthat when we get official word.

They've been doing that for some time. I seem to recall putting pages of my in-flight guide into the PCL at the right place so that I could go from one checklist to the next, and strapping the whole contraption to the kneeboard.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
When I went through T-6s (Apr-Oct 05), I only used my PCL for inflight non-memory EPs. Everything else was the inflight guide.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Rumor Mill Confirmation/Comms

Red2 said:
When I went through T-6s (Apr-Oct 05), I only used my PCL for inflight non-memory EPs. Everything else was the inflight guide.

So we just got word today that for all T-6 sim and flight events after 21May, we will have the PCL checklist on our knee vice the in-flight guides.

Appearantly, the in-flight guides do not reflect the latest changes in the T-6 NATOPS.

Since I'm posting right now, I'll give a snippet on comms class and gear fitting.

Comms Class:

Almost pointless. The class doesn't go too far into detail about the comms at all. Just basic stuff that you learn in IFS. Most of my class (as well as the instructor) are under the opinion that two things should be done with the class: 1. Make it go into more detail. 2. Schedule more than one hours for the class. Honestly, I think most of us walked out of the room none the wiser.

After the class, you go to tour the tower on Sherman Field. Very anti climactic. Not having flown an airplane since Thanksgiving (or longer for some of us), we had no real frame of reference by which to process the info at the tower. The best part: A flight of two F-15s doing a low pass over the field.

Gear fitting:

Pretty cool. Takes maybe an hour or so (less if you don't need alot of adjustments to your G-suit). They make sure your helmet and g-suit fit right, and fit you for a mask and harness. After you get fitted, you get a quick g-suit inflation.. usually no more than about 2 lbs of air. If you get enough air (more than 6 lbs and beat my roommate's record), you go on the wall of fame. After the inflation, they hang you by your harness to make sure it fits right. Then you get to take your gear home for a weekend. My advice: chair fly the first sim in full gear in real-time so as to make sure it all fit and you don't develop trouble spots. If it dosn't take about 2 hrs to run through, keep your helmet on until ou get between the 1.5-2hr mark. Just to make sure it fits.

Thats all for now. Gotta study systems. Exam tomorrow.

Cheers,
Bubba

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Good posts Bubba. Keep it up. I hope to be joining TRAWING-6 soon (Finish API 30 Jun). LAZER!

Winger78

you probably know more about metro right now than you ever will in your career. Hope you learned something.

zlerner

USMC SNFO
Winger78 said:
you probably know more about metro right now than you ever will in your career. Hope you learned something.

Reading TAFs is still useful. Everything else was promptly dumped after the exam. :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Week 3 --- Glad Its Over

Week 3 can be a b*tch and a half if you let it get away from you. 3 tests in four days. Mucho fun.

Monday is the last day of systems class. Again, the CBT's can help you here immensely. Wasn't too long of a day, and nothing really exciting happened.

Tuesday is the systems test, and the start of the NATOPS and Contacts classes.

Wednesday isn't really anything. Just more NATOPS and Contacts.

Thursday is the EP test. You need to be perfect to pass. You get a 3 page sheet with the emergency on it (i.e. OBOGS failure, fire inflight, etc.) and you have to fill in the procedure. Afterwards, more NATOPS and contacts classes.

Friday is the NATOPS exam and what's supposed to be more Contact review, but we pushed a little longer and got all of that done on Thursday.

Ok... NATOPS class... there are no CBTs for NATOPS. Instead, you get a packet of worksheets to fill out. All of the information is either in the packet, the PCL, the NATOPS book or the Contact FTI. Best bet is to fill this packet out as completely as possible, as all of the questions on the NATOPS test are taken from it. Also, you need to know the 11 prohibeted manuevers for the T-6. For us, the class periods were just going over the packet and going into details about some of the stuff... like what the CWS annunciator light mean and how to diagnose different emergency scenarios by looking at the engine data displays.

Contacts class goes over how to read the FTI and the syllabus (where you get all of your discussion items, grading criteria, and need to know items from) as well as different procedures for the sim and flight events. It also went a little more in depth on comms and EP's.

Thursday was also the egress trainer with the CTW-6 flight physiologist. This was the first time many of us were in a T-6 cockpit in full gear. Basically, you learn how to strap into the aircraft as well as get out of it quickly. You should know 2 EP's for the event: Emergency Engine Shutdown (ground) and Emergency Ground Egress. Its not hard... its actually kinda fun. You kinda end up stressing yourself out while in the cockpit, and its amazing how many people know the EP cold, but forget a step (usually turning off the batteries) when you're a bit stressed. BTW.. its not a real aircraft... its a cocpkit simulator.

This is the week you should be hitting the sim script pretty hard... go through it at least once a day. Being the last week of ground school, you're expected to have the EPs and normal procedures down cold. You need to be able to sit in the UTD trainers and be able to go through the checklists efficiently and almost to perfection. You should also be familiar with some of the basic canned comms, which are in the script. You should be able to do all of the checklists and comms just looking at the PCL. Its ok to use the script the first few run throughs, but by Friday of this week, you should be using just the PCL.

Next week is sims, and you're expected to be ready for your fist sim on Monday morning. That means chair flying during the weekend. Also, don't forget to keep up on the engine limitations and EPs... you'll be expected to know those for the sim events as well.

That's all for now. IF you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Bubba

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
C2001 - 1st Contact Sim

Ok, so here's where all the studying comms, checklists and cockpit layout start to pay off.

I had a 0900 brief for a 0930 sim event. The brief isn't too much to worry about. The first brief is mainly admin stuff... what's expected of you as the student, what the instructors are looking for and thats about it. You'll be expected to discuss OBOGS, start malfunctions and departures from controlled flight. Know the requisite EPs, but also be able to talk about why you do the items on the checklists.

For instance, while discussing the OBOGS Fail anunciator, the instructor wanted me to take away that the first thing isn't to go honking on the little green ring for emergency O2. First, check altitude and cockpit altitude to see if I can just drop my mask and trouble shoot. If you can't drop your mask, take a peek at the regulator panel and see if maybe you knocked a switch. As you're doing all of this, your flipping through your PCL to the OBOGS section and going through those checklists.. and if all else fails, then go honking on the little green ring. He then went through the same process with departures and the start abort procedures.

Once you get in the sim, its all checklists and comms. You need to be able to progress through the checklists at a reasonable pace as well as have them near perfect. If you make a mistake, don't worry about it. Correct it and move on.

Some instructors will let you take the stick for the sim ride, some won't. My instructor would have let me, but we were running behind schedule, so the computer did all of the flying.

You're in full flight gear and strapped in the cockpit. The A/C in the building is cranked up to max, but you'll still sweat alot. You'll also be wearing your mask. So don't brain dump all the stuff the physiology people tell you in API about breathing thechniques with the mask on. They really help, especially when you're just sucking ambient air through your CRU-60. It makes it a little harder to breathe. So stay relaxed, and take a brief pause between inhaling and exhaling.

The whole thing take 1.5 - 2 hours from brief to debrief. If you are well prepared, you'll have fun and it'll be quick and easy. If not, it won't.

That's C2001, the 1st contact sim. I should have 2 and 3 by Thursday. I'll post more on sims after the third one, seeing as how 2 and 3 aren't too much different from 1, except they throw in some EPs.

Cheers,
Bubba

BTW... passed it with no problems.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Wow, they make you wear your mask in the sims now? I suppose that IS a good way to get used to all the gear so that you're not fighting it on your first few rides.

Brett

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Yeah, technically you are supposed to wear the gear for all of your sim events. Some of the instructors are more lenient than others on the wearing of the mask, however.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Brett327 said:
^^ Wow, they make you wear your mask in the sims now? I suppose that IS a good way to get used to all the gear so that you're not fighting it on your first few rides.

Brett

Yeah... you wear your mask in the sims. Most instructors will let you drop it if its becoming a hassle to wear it in the sims.

I've always had some hyperventilating issues when breathing through a mask, so I made myself labor through it. I found that once you start doing stuff and talking, you don't think so much about that your breathing through a mask. Helps alot.

Cheers,
Bubba

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Yeah... you wear your mask in the sims. Most instructors will let you drop it if its becoming a hassle to wear it in the sims.

I've always had some hyperventilating issues when breathing through a mask, so I made myself labor through it. I found that once you start doing stuff and talking, you don't think so much about that your breathing through a mask. Helps alot.

Cheers,
Bubba
I remember the O2 system in the T-2 had a lot of positive pressure which was uncomfortable and not like it is in my fleet jet.

Brett