• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crowbar said:
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it now, but here's an idea for you once you get to instruments if you're a little behind the comm curve. Call Pensacola TRACON (duty desk should have the number somewhere) and ask them if you can come watch what they do and ask some questions. Talking on the radio was never a problem for me but I went over one day out of curiosity. They sat me down, plugged me in and let me watch, listen, and ask questions for as long as I wanted. Just make sure to tell them where you are a student and they'll more than likely set you up with a controller for that sector.
Despite how they sound on the radio most of them actually do have a little personality and were as interested in talking to me about the training pipeline as I was asking them about sequencing procedures, sector setup questions, and the like. It answered some questions I had that you'll more than likely have once you get to that point (Why the hell is it everytime we request a GCA that they vector us ten miles off the coast then let us go until we get to the Navarre Bridge?) was one that I wanted to know about.
Anyway, just an idea...
I could not agree more....whether you're a Navy pilot in training or student pilot tooling around in a C-172 or Piper Warrior. To be able to get into ATC's thought process is golden and will probably serve you well for the rest of your flying career. At the very least, it will give you a context of their language.

Crowbar

None
TrunkMonkey said:
Just in case anyone asks you in the future, I believe squadron SOP uses the word "shall" as in "shall not exceed" in reference to the 4 G break at Sherman Field. Always makes for a good Question of the Day on the flight schedule.

Cant find any mention of that in the squadron SOP. Did find this, though, from the T-6 section of Wing SOP:

802. PROHIBITED MANEUVERS. Aircraft maneuvers specifically prohibited in NATOPS as well as intentional “G” loading greater than 5 positive “G”s are prohibited.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Anyone Know The EP For Uncommanded Brain-Dump?

Yeah... the title about explains it. Second flight today. Only thing different from the first is we did the approach-turn stall and the spin.

The Brief (and title): During the first third of the brief, I was on point with the discuss items. Then it was like someone flushed my brain out of my skull. Procedures which I'd ratted off flawlessly 20 minutes prior came out like I hadn't looked at them in 20 years. I kept second guessing myself and got all clammy and such. Damn near blew the brief. On-wing let me take a breather, and I was spot on the last part. Got the procedures and everything spot on.

But the brain-dump continues. Doing some pattern work, onwing gives me a simulated chip light. Hit the EP perfect (one of the easiest ones). He then asks me what we'd do if we have to execute a PEL. I started to rattle through the forced landing, realized it wasn't right, and proceeded to drool into my mask a little.

Yet somehow, I passed the flight.

Also got to get a close up of a Hornet in flight... would have preferred to use a zoom lense to get that much detail.

The spin was actually pretty damned fun... and disorienting. The scan will take some practice. No flight tomorrow, so I'm gonna spend some quality time in the sims.

Cheers,
Bubba

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
Flight three:

I wondered why the clouds were so puffy. Thankfully I remembered every word of both my API and Primary weather classes. I wanted to see what would happen if we made the blue part down and the green part up instead of the other way around so I rolled inverted but then that guy in the back started waving his arms and making loud noises so I knocked it off. I wanted to see how high the G-meter went but I passed out before the needle got up to the top so I never found out.

We came home course rules and I liked that because we went over a golf course and I like golf. I found out that "three down and locked" isn't a suggestion and the trees near the runway are exactly 107' tall. Painting the bottom of a T-6 can't be that hard anyway.

All in all it was a good flight although I do have a tendency to ramble sometimes :)

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Crowbar said:
Cant find any mention of that in the squadron SOP. Did find this, though, from the T-6 section of Wing SOP:

I guess it is just VT-10 then. I actually looked it up, page 3-3 states: "No aircraft shall exceed 4.0 Gs in the overhead/carrier break".
Maybe it doesn't apply to the other squadrons.
Either way, it's better to be more general than specific about various regimes of flight in order to avoid diming your on-wing out on AirWarriors for some reason that you may not realize. The full-action replays of each flight might be better kept in the ready room anyway, with this site used more for gouge (Course rules for R/W 25 -- you go feet-dry at exactly 3 DME. Knowing this allows you to be eyes-out scanning for traffic during the entire descent/break instead of inside hawking the EHSI) or helpful hints (whatever you do, don't look outside during the spin. Very disorienting).
But I guess that's just me.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Crowbar said:
Or how to find TRADR...

TRADR, like CANUE, is a mythical point that cannot truly be found... until you're in the T-39 and have A/G radar :)

Like anyone shoots a point-to-point anyways...

Crowbar

None
TurnandBurn55 said:
TRADR, like CANUE, is a mythical point that cannot truly be found... until you're in the T-39 and have A/G radar :)

Like anyone shoots a point-to-point anyways...

I don't remember the -sixer having any kind of radar. On a good day, though, you can look for the TRADR oil rig...

Point to points? A mild pain in the ass. Charts? The bane of my existence.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
I was thinking of starting a "Primary INAV/FLIP Groundschool" blog. It would look something like this...

Monday: AM Turnpoint
PM: Turnpoint
Tuesday: Turnpoint
Wednesday: Turnpoint
Thursday: Turnpoint
Friday: Turnpoint

Weekend: Study for more turnpoints...

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
Turnpoint (noun): a simulator-type event in which a SNAV attempts to navigate from Point A to Point B using a mock T-6 instrument panel run by the mighty computing power of Windows 2000. Commands are executed via keyboard i.e. to turn left you type "L250" etc. It exists in a bizzare world of impossible physics where one can track direct inbound to a vortac and still see increasing DME and GPS doesn't exist.

They are done as a group so radio calls, mark on top calls, and other flight whatsit occur at seemingly random times during flight as one person passes a checkpoint (because they spun up 260 KTAS by mistake) and the rest lag behind. Murphy's law states that you will invariably receive a radio call right when you're about to finish a groundspeed hack or when you're 2/3 through your IAF fuel computations causing you to forget whether or not you already carried the two.

Primary mandates 12 of these must be completed before going to the simulators. I guess it's cheaper than flying the actual airplane around in circles. The only good thing about turnpoints is that you need a jetcard, marked chart and dd-175 completed to fly them which are things you will actually need later.

If you're still reading this I'm impressed and thanks for your time.

Sarcasm (noun): Something Dave uses entirely too much of and should probably cut back on before he gets a boot up his a$$ :)

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I'm not sure, but FAM 0-6 for us FOs fly in the front sit, correct? Are we required to land as well? How much pilot stuff are we actually required to do while in the front sit? Again, just curious.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Fezz CB said:
I'm not sure, but FAM 0-6 for us FOs fly in the front sit, correct? Are we required to land as well? How much pilot stuff are we actually required to do while in the front sit? Again, just curious.

Yes, you are in the front. You are not really graded on your stick/rudder skills, instead they're looking at how well you know your procedures and whatnot.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Getting Through Contacts

Ok... to get this thread back on track... Here's my take on getting through Contacts:

Procedures/Operating Limits:

First off, know them cold. EP's, EP's, basic transitions and contact maneuvers should be memorized to the point where you can spout them off while doing something pretty stressful.

EP's
Know and be able to discuss. You'll get a dew boldface exams: One as part of the NATOPS exam at the end of ground school as well as more throughout the 6 contact flights. You'll also be graded on how well you react to the simulated EP's the IPs and sim instructors will throw at you. The boldface EP tests must be passed with a 100%, but its not hard. It only takes an hour or so a day for a couple of days to learn the boldface EPs, and a few more days to get them down cold.

Also be able to discuss EP's... For example, you need to know that if you get a fire light in flight what EP to do (its a boldface one). But you also need to know what to look for to confirm the fire, and have an idea of things you need to do after you finish taking care of the fire... i.e. what if you had to shut the enging down? What kind of landing are you going to do? Do you have a plan for it you can't make a field? Know that there will be times when you'll have to string EPs together in order to take care of an emergency. Know also that all of them may not be boldface, so know where to look iin the PCL for the different items.

Operating Limits
Know them and be able to discuss them, and be able to recognize what they mean for the aircraft and what your guages will look like when something is out of whack. Note that all the normal ops limitations are not on the EP sheet. Look through NATOPS and be familiar with things like cabin pressure and hydraulic pressure normal operating ranges, as well as what the different CWS panel lights mean. Not just "the EX HYD LO light mean low emergency hydraulic pressure low", but also what it means as far as continued flight, landing, any emergency that may arise from the condition, etc.

Basic Transitions/Contact Maneuvers
Same as EPs, you need to know tham cold and understress as well as be able to talk the IP through the maneuver in the air. As SNFO's, we're not being graded on how well we can fly the maneuver, but by how well we know the procedure and can talk the IP through it in the air.

Even though its not required to fly the procedures, I strongly reccommend flyinig them as much as you can both in the sims and in the airplane. Its infintely harder to recall the procedure when you're trying to fly the maneuvers and maintain altitude attitude and airspeed. Putting yourself through this will help reinforce the procedure. You'll fid that after flying a procedure 2 or 3 times, it'll be easier to recall.

Checklists
You don;t have to memorize the checklists. You need to be able to be fast and correct with them though. The best way to do that is to grab some sim time and go through the switchology of the checklists. (This is good advice for SNA's and SNFO's). The preflight walkaround is the only check that you shouldn't need the PCL for.

You'll find that as you fly more, shorter checks, like the pre-aerobatics check, ops check and others you do a million and a half times will be memorized, but that only because of repetitive action. Even though I can do the ops check from memory, I still pull out the PCL, just to be sure.

Briefing Room
Only thing I can say here is that the brief sets the tone for the rest of the flight. Know your stuff for the brief. Everything that will be covered in each brief for each flight (in addition to EP's and Ops limits) can be found in section 3 of the course guide. Also know the answers to the POD questions of the day.

Flying the T-6

Like I said before, us SNFOs are not being graded on quality of the airwork, but on how well we can go through the procedures in the air while everything else is going on.. radios, monitoring guages, scanning for traffic, MOA area management, etc.

You gotta be able to multi-task like a pro. Its hard at firs, but it gets easier. I've reccommended chair flying while listening to LiveATC, and I will again. Just one more thing to help build SA and multi-tasking skills.

While in the aircraft, don't be afraid to question what's going on and make your own judgement calls. You may be wrong an a call, but it shows the instructor that you're paying attention to what's going on. If you are wrong, the instructor (either in the plane or in the debrief) will let you know and explain what exactly was happening. If you're right, then you'll know and possibly avert something bad happening.

Ask questions. If you're not sure of something, in the air or on the ground, ask a question. Do not fly with an unanswered question... no matter how insignificant you think it is.

Syllabus Flights:
Know all you your stuff. The discussion items in the MNTS (course guide), EPs, and the questions of the day on the squadron POD. You'll be expected to talk about all of it. You should also be able to still talk about discuss items from previous flights.

Night Flight:
You're in the back seat for this one. Its a introduction to the night flying environment. You'll work the radios and run the checklists. Thats about it.

Check Ride:
Nothing special about it. You're responsible for any contact syllabus item... EPs, Maneuvers, discuss items, systems. If it was in the MNTS as a contact syllabus item, its fair game.

Contacts are meant to be fun, and they are if you know your stuff. The only flight that I didn't come back from saying "Damn, that was fun!" was the flight when I brain farted the brief. Every other flight was extremely fun and rewarding.

If flying is something you really want to do, the 90 minutes in the air will more than make up for the countless hours spent studying, making it to flight school and getting ready to fly. I'm sure some of the older guys can vouch for that as well.

My class is done with contacts, and will be starting instrument ground school on Thursday.

Cheers,
Bubba