• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Tweek05 said:
Bubba, any chance you'll fly friday?

From what I understand, Friday is a no-fly day. My class was told we wouldn't even get Fam-0 until Tues. or Weds.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
You only wear all your gear in the sims for the first three events to get used to the feel. I'm sure you already know that, but I remember people in Primary showing up for Instrument sims with all their gear on and getting laughed at. And if I am not mistaken, this Friday is a Memorial Day Safety-Standdown :sleep_125

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Brett327 said:
I remember the O2 system in the T-2 had a lot of positive pressure which was uncomfortable and not like it is in my fleet jet.

Brett

Actually, the T-6 O2 system is very much like a fleet jet... VOX, OBOGS and all... not at all like T-2.

You won't wear any gear after your contact sims, though...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Clarification In An Opaque World

1. No gear after contacts Sims.

2. I'm basing my mask/regulator issues off of past experiences diving and the pressure chamber where my mask didn't fit as good as the one I have now does.

3. In the sims, there is 0 positive pressure on the mask, as you're just sucking air through the hose. Its still alot eaisier to control your breathing than diving. At least it is for me.

4. I'v found that a slight bit of positive pressure in the mask makes for alot eaier breathing.

But thats just me.

Cheers,
Bubba

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
C2002 & C2003 (Last 2 Contact Sims)

C2002 and C2003 are pretty much the same as the fist sim, except you have some boldface EP's thrown in and you have to be able to talk the instructor through the ELP (emergency landing pattern) while "flying".

EP's:

C2002: Abort Takeoff, Engine Fire (ground), Emergency Ground Egress, PEL (Precationary Emergency Landing) and Chip Light/Low Oil Pressure, Engine Fire (during flight). Also know start malfunctions (hot, hung and no starts)

C2003: Engine Failure (during flight), Immediate Air Start, Uncommanded Prop Feather, Compressor Stall and be comfortable with the Controlled Eject checklist in the PCL. Be able to talk about hydraulic malfunctions, canopy unlocked during flight and getting rid of smoke/fumes in the cockpit during flight.

You're expected to know the signs and warnings for each malfunction and be able to quickly and correctly diagnose the problem and take corrective action.

For the ELP, you should be able to draw it out. Know altitudes, airspeeds, configuration and radio calls for each point in the pattern, as well as where in relation to the runway you are at each point.

All in all, the sims are not that hard. Its just alot of tedium and repition.

The instructors expect you to know your stuff when you sit down for the brief. Come with questions, and don't be afraid to ask them during the sim and during brief and debrief. Better to ask during the sim than to not know in the air.

Comms gets alot of people. The sims are a great way to practice comms, as you are the only one on the radio. You'll get to the point where you know what type pf call to excpect from tower, approach or whoever you're talking to. One you get the basic format down, the rest is easy, and you'll be prepared when the instructor throws you a loop... like clearing you to 8000 instead of 10000 at first, just to see if you're awake.

Best thing to do is relax and take your time. Figure out what you want to say, say it to yourself, then key the mike. If you stumble, unkey, take a breath, and try again.

One thing that helps is to go to Live ATC and listen for a while. You'll hear live feeds from different airports in the US. Its a great way to get familiar with how calls are made, how to respond what to respond to. It definitely helped me alot. Another thing to do is pick someone to be. Listen to LiveATC and do something distracting. When you hear the callsign, try to respond and then compare what you say to what the pilot says. When that guy gets released, find someone else. It helps.

On to FAM-0 tomorrow... YAY!!

Any questions, ask away.

Cheers,
Bubba

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
TheBubba said:
Comms gets alot of people. The sims are a great way to practice comms, as you are the only one on the radio.

Hrmm.. I almost thought the sims were negative training in terms of comms for exactly that reason. Just remember in AirNavs that you're going to struggle a lot with the radio in the air for that same reason...

Nice posts though... keep up the good work!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Elaboration

TurnandBurn55 said:
Hrmm.. I almost thought the sims were negative training in terms of comms for exactly that reason.

Its a good way to get to understand the basic format and how to respond to the different calls. As far as ciphering out of the whole mess what you need to hear, I agree. It can be detrimental. But as far as knowing how to respond when you hear "Buck 310, climb and maintain 10000, turn right 150", its good.

Cheers,
Bubba

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry for the off-topic, but a quick question...do you guys have "C7005" events in your fam flights? I keep hearing T-6's calling "C7005" at the initial but they're definitely not FITU pilots. Or maybe I'm just logging it wrong.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
We don't have a C7-anything. All of our contacts are C4-something. We don't even have a C4005. C4001-C4004, a check ride and a night flight, but I can't remember the codes for those.

Could be an instructor proficiency hop. That's my guess.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
C7005 is defitely a FITU hop, but the dudes I've seen flying aren't winged pilots. Or if they are, they're mildly retarded. I must just be hearing the call wrong (and therefore logging it incorrectly).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fam-0

I had FAM-0. Not too much to talk about.

My FAM-0 was pretty painless. Basic introduction to the whole flight process. What;s expected of you for the conduct of the briefing and flight.

You'llbe meeting your on-wing for the first time here. After you sit down with him and talk for a bit about the process, you'll grab your gear and head out to the static display aircraft on the side of the hangar. You'll go through the before exterior checklist, the preflight walk around and strapping in. I was expected to know the Emergency Ground Egress EP, and be able to go through it. That was about it.

Don't go into the FAM-0 never having done a preflight walk around on the aircraft. Your on-wing will expect you to have gone over it once or twice prior to showing up for the event. The aircraft outside the VT-10 side of the hangar are there for just that.. for students to practice their pre-flight walk around. Its good to practice b/c you'll be expected to be able to do it without the checklist by the 3rd or 4th flight.

I'm expecting my first flight on Tuesday. From what I've been told, you should know all of your contact procedures by your first flight.

That's all for now.

Cheers,
Bubba

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Flinging My Eager Craft Through Footless Halls Of Air...

C4001... First contact flight... Yay front seat...

Flew my first contact flight yesterday. It was actually quite fun.

The briefs aren't hard... if you pay attention to what's in the MNTS (syllabus) and the FTI. The hardest part of the brief is preparing... memorizing basic transitions and maneuvers... stalls, spin, turn pattern and level speed change.

Your first flight, you can use the checklist to do the preflight walkaround, but try to get away from doing that, as you'll be expected not to for the 3rd flight on. Not too much more to say about that.

As for the in-plane checklists, definitely be fast and accurate with those. The plane is hot until the AC kicks in, and you need to have the engine spun up for that. Definitely know those well.

Once we got off the ground and into the MOA, I did most of the flying. The first 30 minutes or so was just me flying around, practicing turns, climbs, descents, straight and level and so on. Nothing graded. Just my on-wing giving me little pointers on how to fly the aircraft. Was fun, was motivational... and I gained a little more insight (and respect) to what y'all SNA's have to go through...

Then it was on to maneuvers... turn pattern, level speed change and power off stall. I knew the procedure well. One or two hiccups, nothing major... chalking those up to first time jiters. Talking my IP through the procedures wasn't that bad. Performing them on the other hand we a whole different ballgame. Had some issues staying on altitude and airspeed, but again, nothing major. I did keep forgetting to trim the aircraft though. That can make for some interesting times (especially when recovering from a stall).

After that, we did a little demo of a G-warm up... turns gradually increasing from 1 to 5Gs. That was pretty fun. The 5G turn was a little more than I expected, but found it really didn't feel bad. Did the hic-maneuver the first time just in case... second time, I found it wasn't necessary.

After that, it was a little tour of the MOA and then returning to homefield.

Comms wasn't that hard. I wasn't having alot of trouble figureing out what was being said to us and responding. It's definitely alot harder in the aircraft than in the sims, but its definitely doable.

Coming home, my on-wing was gong to set us up for what was, in his words, supposed to be a "pretty cool 5G break", but we had to nix that due to traffic in the pattern (no, Brett... it wasn't a P-3).

Overall, I'd say it was a good flight. Much fun. It made all of the studying and bullsh!t I've dome and dealt with well more than worth it. I hope I feel that way every time I fly.

Air sickness... didn't get it. Even if you don't think you'll get sick on your first flight, take a barf-bag... you never know.

Oh.. and just cuz your gear is comfortable in the sims doesn't mean it will be in the plane.

I was supposed to fly today, but the flight got canex'ed. Oh well... there's tomorrow, weather permitting.

Cheers,
Bubba

*edit* I'd been a little nervous about breathing through a regulator b/c of my experience diving. Not the case with the mask in the airplane. I was perfectly fine with it. However, I had to get a new mask (different style) b/c the original one was too narrow for the bridge of my nose.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Just in case anyone asks you in the future, I believe squadron SOP uses the word "shall" as in "shall not exceed" in reference to the 4 G break at Sherman Field. Always makes for a good Question of the Day on the flight schedule.

Crowbar

None
TheBubba said:
Comms wasn't that hard. I wasn't having alot of trouble figureing out what was being said to us and responding. It's definitely alot harder in the aircraft than in the sims, but its definitely doable.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it now, but here's an idea for you once you get to instruments if you're a little behind the comm curve. Call Pensacola TRACON (duty desk should have the number somewhere) and ask them if you can come watch what they do and ask some questions. Talking on the radio was never a problem for me but I went over one day out of curiosity. They sat me down, plugged me in and let me watch, listen, and ask questions for as long as I wanted. Just make sure to tell them where you are a student and they'll more than likely set you up with a controller for that sector.
Despite how they sound on the radio most of them actually do have a little personality and were as interested in talking to me about the training pipeline as I was asking them about sequencing procedures, sector setup questions, and the like. It answered some questions I had that you'll more than likely have once you get to that point (Why the hell is it everytime we request a GCA that they vector us ten miles off the coast then let us go until we get to the Navarre Bridge?) was one that I wanted to know about.
Anyway, just an idea...