• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Class 06-21 Trek Thru Training

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Fezz CB said:
I'm not sure, but FAM 0-6 for us FOs fly in the front sit, correct? Are we required to land as well? How much pilot stuff are we actually required to do while in the front sit? Again, just curious.

FAM 0 is a walkaround. You don't actually fly, it's really more of an ungraded event where your instructor shows you everything you need to know, and you get an opportunity to pick his brains for info. Take it as a free shot, it's the only one you'll get.. I remember me T-1 FAM 0 I spent hours in the cockpit running through checklists.

You'll fly, but it's debatable how much you fly. Generally you have specific maneuvers you're expected to accomplish, but your IP may ask for only that or for you to just fly the whole time. As far as not being graded on how you fly... that's all fine and good in theory, but in reality, if you fly well, you'll get better grades than the guy who flies sh!ttily.

Take advantage of the time you get to fly... it'll help your SA by getting a chance to be at the controls

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
TurnandBurn55 said:
As far as not being graded on how you fly... that's all fine and good in theory, but in reality, if you fly well, you'll get better grades than the guy who flies sh!ttily.

I can vouch for that on 2 occaisons... Not going to eloborate here, but if anyone wants the specifics, shoot me a PM.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
It's a bit much to expect a SNAV with 13 hours in a cessna to sit in a T-6 and be able to fly it proficiently. The IPs assume (probably because you're an NFO stud) that you're an idiot and 9 times out of 10 they're right. It was my experience that, while flying, as long as I was SAYING the right thing it mattered less if I was actually DOING it (barring safety of flight stuff of course). If you're not flying you'd better be sh!t hot with your procedures because you're not doing anything else.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Primary Instruments (or How I Pegged My Fun Meter)

Instruments is alot of stuff to learn and most of it makes absolutely no sense at all on paper. The only way it will make sense is to see it on the 2B47 or RIOT trainer.

That having been said, here is my summary of instruments:

First, you start by learning about the different flight pubs, scanning and what each instrument tells you about what the aircraft is doing in the air so you can attempt to make it do what you want it to do. This stuff is pretty straight forward. Nothing too hard to wrap your mind around. But that all ends there.

Next comes the stuff that doesn't seem so easy on paper: point to points, radial tracking, approaches, departures, holding, arcing, turn leads, wind and ground speed analysis and just general instrument navigating.

Approaches and departures seem complicated at first becase there are alot of symbols and numbers you need to know and they use pretty much all of the other concepts you'll learn.

Holding, arcing and point to points make absolutely no sense at all on paper. Those are the concepts that you actually have to see on a working EHSI in order to begin to wrap your mind around (at least was the trend for my class)

This is where the RIOT and 2B47 trainers come into play. They allow you to sit at a computer looking at an EHSI and figure out how to make the plane do what you want it to do. Its all about where the green needle, white needle and the aircraft heading are in relation to where you are going and where you want to go, as well as knowing left from right (can get confusing in the trainers).

The 2B47 trainer is a computer simulator in Griffith Hall. It gives you your instruments (EHSI, EADI, RMU, ASI, VSI and engine data displays) and you control the a/c by making inputs to the RMU and EHSI as well as altitude and airspeeds. You also have to calculate and enter groundspeed, winds and ETAs. There are no visual cues b/c the trainer is designed to help you to rely on instrument reading alone for controling and navigating the aircraft.

The RIOT trainer is availible to download on your home PC, which i completely reccommend. For y'all that are getting ready to start, shoot me an email, and I'll give you the 2B47 events constructed for the RIOT trainer. The RIOT trainer is great b/c its easier to control that the 2B47 and you can use it at home. Definitely at least practice the different procedures on the RIOT trainer as much as possible.

For the 2 written tests, you don't have to fly any of the procedures, but you have to know the concepts behind them. Things like what a correct holding or circling clearance sounds like, of where to find the FAF or IAF on an approach plate or what an altitude restriction at a certain fix is.

Its a little convoluted, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Bubba

koolkatsalley

some stuff to help

I'm on my way to EP's, then Natops, then off to the sims (supposed to be week 3 but we got a little brake - thank's to good ol' 4th of July**!*!) Keep up the gouge. Oh yeah, the only website I could find for some T-6 Gouge is: http://www.t6driver.com/gouge.html

Here are some things I created to help aid my studies
attached are:
My Metro notes, look @ them carefully, I may have a mistake or two on them, but mainly they break down the major sections of the course.
Since the Sims are now having us use the PCL but having to memorize the exact words of the Hollywood Script, I created giant flashcards to help with remembering the words - you still need to know what action in the sim to do and then become familiar with using the PCL.
Last but not least, I created some ready print cards for the OPSLIMS, I heard knowing this info is very useful for the NATOPS test, I guess I will soon find out!

:dunce_125

Attachments

• hollywood script flashcards a.doc
    50.5 KB · Views: 101
  • hollywood script flashcards b.doc
    114 KB · Views: 52
  • opslimindexcards-a.doc
    96 KB · Views: 43
  • opslimindexcards-B.doc
    98 KB · Views: 35
  • metro.doc
    53 KB · Views: 60

koolkatsalley

annunciator cards

0629: as promised, here are the attachments for the annunciator flash cards.:icon_smil

Attachments

• annunciators-a.doc
    62 KB · Views: 42
  • annunciators-b.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 42
  • SIM EVENTS FLOW.doc
    26 KB · Views: 54

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
My Take On Getting Through Primary Instruments (Or How My Fun Meter Is Still Pegged)

OK... I'm finally done primary instruments (and primary), so I figured its about time for my next installment.

Instrument navigation is not hard. Making the plane go where you want it to is alot easier than it seems when you've your head burried in a book. What makes it seem hard is all of the checklists, calculations and procedures coupled with operating the radios... and updating the nav on top of everything else.

ALWAYS UPDATE THE NAV

Navigation should be the center of you sequence of operation, but don't spend more than about 20 seconds or so updating the nav unless absolutely necessary. Basically, as you go through all of your procedures and checklists, keep an eye on the HSI to make sure you're still going where you want to, correct in needed, and go back to the checklist. That way, you get everything done and still hit the point you need to.

Checklists and briefing don't need to go out in one string. I can't count the times I stopped in the middle of an ops or decent check or a field brief to update the navigation. Once you do, remember to go back to the checklist or brief. Same goes for radios. You can stop in the middle of a check to operate the radios.

20 Second Rule

This isn't a mandatory thing, but it helps keep SA and a flow. If you're spending more than 20 seconds on anyone task, you're getting behind in something else. My onwing gave me this advice, and I've found it easier to stay ahead of the plane using it. Its just a method of scanning and task completion.

Think, Key, Speak

Radios will throw you for a loop. Don't sweat it. You'll get better as time goes on and you get more time in the plane.

The key to speaking well on the radios is think, key, speak. Take a half second to think about what you want to say. Key the mike, look for the little "TX" on the RMU and then just say what you thought about and unkey the mike after you finish talking. And stay calm when you talk. If ATC didn't understand or like what you said, they'll call you back and ask for clarification. If you're not sure how to respond, ask the IP.

As far as listening to the radio, listen in parts. For instance, it your callsign is Back314, listen for anything that sounds like "Buck". If you hear it, perk up and listen for the "3-1-4". If you don't hear what you're looking for with your callsign, then go back to whatever it is you were doing. If you do, listen up cuz ATC's got something for you.

If you don't catch what they say, simply ask your IP or ask them to say it again. Try to keep that to a minimum.

Turnpoint Procedures

Know them cold. Know when to give the 2 minutes prior call. Start it about 10 seconds early... I always do. That way, the call is centered around 2 minutes, and it gives you a second to think and get the ETA to the next point easier.

Between the 2-minute call and actually getting to the point is ample time to check fuel and calculate estimated IAF fuel. This really only takes about 20 seconds (if that). Its also a good time to check the chart to make sure you'll have the right navaid tuned up for your next leg and give a sanity check for your intnded heading and course, as well as take a quick look at diverts. All of that will maybe take a minute if that. Don't worry too much about updating the nav inside of the 2-minute call. Little corrections are fine, but big one aren't allowed, and they are pretty much pointless at this time.

You should have the mark on top call pretty much prepped at this point, so the only thing you have to actually calculate is the actual time of arrival, which is as simple as looking at the clock. The first words out of your mouth here should be "Mark on top, turn right (or left) heading ***". Jot down the time and take a sec to make sure the IP is turning the right way. Continue with the call. When you get to the point where you're vebalizing the CDI and navaid switch, make sure you actually do it. If you're switching to a new navaid, it should have been in the secondary, so all you have to do is press the feq switch button and then pull out the nav volume knobber so you can ID the station.

After you go wings level, give the nav a quick update and make your wings level call. You should have calculated that stuff between 2 minutes prior and mark on top, so its no more than just reading off of the jet card. Follow this with an ops check and advise the IP of the nearest divert field.

TIM The Navaid

TIM: Tune, Identify, Monitor. After you tune a navaid, always pull out the nav volume knob and ID it. This saved me twice. Always do it. Its not an MNTS requirement, but it can save you some heartache and headache. It takes 2 seconds and is a good habit.

Staying Ahead Of The Airplane

You're flying at 240 TAS in the T-6 for instrument hops. Prolly a bit faster than most of us are used to. My advice: if you're flying at 220 indicated, think at 260. If you endeavour to stay ahead of the airplane, you'll at the very least be with it.

Staying ahead of the plane means getting stuff done efficiently and early. As an example... don't wait till you're on top of the field to get ATIS. Get it early.. say 80-100 miles out. Or closer if you have a really long leg. Give your field brief the first chance you get after ATIS... but don't forget about the nav and other checklists you have to run.

Basically, you have to develop a flow and a system of cockpit organization. Not having to look for stuff in the cockpit helps alot when developing a flow. And having a good flow helps you stay ahead of the airplane.

In-FLight Briefs

There are a few in flight briefs required of students: field brief and approach brief being the main two. Just follow the acronyms. They help alot. All of the info for the briefs can be found in the approach plates or from ATIS. Give them early.

Terminal Area

This is the one phase of flight that throws students for a loop... myself included on the first couple of flights. Lots of stuff happening really fast. Set yourself up early. This is not the time to be giving a field brief and getting ATIS.

The key to surviving the terminal area is to set yourself up early... navaids, radios, hsi, etc... have your approach plate open to the approach you're shooting and include that in your scan. Always remember.. unless you're on vectors, keep an eye on the nav.

On the aprroach, don't forget about altitude restrictions, decent points, MDA/DH, MAP, timing, and the ton of other stuff you need to keep in the back of your head during the approach.

Briefing Room

Same principles apply here as in contacts, except you're brifeing different stuff. Know your stuff and be confident.

Come in with a plan. You want to be able to sit down with your IP and say "Sir, I need to work on X, Y and Z. Lets do approaches A and B and hold at Navaid C". Also have some alternative in your mind in case you can't shoot your intended approaches. It shows you're taking a proactive approach towards your training and that you show initiative.

Get Ahead, Stay Ahead

You'll fly all pre-planned "canned" routes in primary. You may get to plan a non-standard route, but most likely not. Take a day and plan out the routes (primary and alternate) so that all you have to do the night before in spin up the winds and fuels and the divert/bingo stuff.

That's my take on getting through primary instruments. Its not the end-all be-all for it, and other people will use different techniques. Alot of the stuff is pretty general or stuff that I've found works for me.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm harping on updating the nav alot, the nav is why you're sitting in the back of the T-6. To direct the IP how to get from point a to point b safely and along a certain route. So one last time... update the nav, and update it often.

I select on Friday, and hopefully I'll be staying at VT-4 for intermediate.

Cheers,
Bubba

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Still A Warbuck

Primary selection was today. Got tacair... which I wanted.

Breakdown for our selection: VT-4 had 2 (out of 3) guys want P-3s, one got it. I don't think VT-10 gave out any P-3 slots this week (3 Ensigns as well).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dang Steve.. you've figured me out...

But in all seriousness, from what I understand about what ECMOs do, it seems like a cool mission and something that will keep my interest and challenge me. So I figured why the hell not...

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Good job, phil. Looks like I'll get another wait in c-pool once I finish API in 3 weeks. You better believe I'm gonna be prepping during this wait, though.

koolkatsalley

flash cards for contacts

Hey there, for those of you that like to learn using flashcards, here are some ready to print cards I made for Contacts. I couldn't agree more on knowing the procedures cold, along with opslims & eps. I am far from being a pilot or having any good piloting skills; but still got through contacts for knowing my procedures, understanding the situation & knowing and speaking up & letting the instructors know that I was all jacked up with my flying. Know the procedures. practice spitting out the procedures with lots of outside distractions around you.

Airsickness: make sure to fill your stomach up & ginger worked for me.

enjoy the aerobatics during the checkride, best thrill ride I've been on yet.

enjoy!:tongue2_1

Attachments

• contactcards-a.doc
    67 KB · Views: 59
  • contactcards-b.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
  • morecontactcards-a.doc
    64 KB · Views: 31
  • morecontactcards-b.doc
    60 KB · Views: 33

beam101

Hey Bubba, first off, very helpfull overview so far. My question is I have always thought navigators never leanred to fly, but form what you said they do. So is it optinoal or required? My other quesiton is most of the things you have said seem pretty complicated, is it really that hard. I mean, is there ample time to study and memorize, and if you have a good study habits you will do fine? Thanks appreciate your posts and keepp em' coming