• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

robav8r

None
Contributor
Cubi Pt.

Spent 6 weeks in Cubi when our ship (USS STEIN, FF-1065) broke her SONAR dome in rough seas on the way to exercise TEAM SPIRIT off the coast of Korea in 1984. Six weeks in the PI !!! About two weeks into our "adventure" had a chance to stay out on "Grande Island" in Subic Bay. Too many stories to tell, too many stories forgotten :) we were more than ready to head back to sea after those six weeks !!!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAS Lemoore (just got back from Sh*tville, CA)

The actrual setup of the room is good... and its close to the gate, NEX and McD's. Service is great and the people are polite.

My gripes: ant infestation and you have to run the water for like 20 minutes to get it luke warm, and another 10 to get it hot. Also, the mirror setup in the bathroom makes it very uncomfortable to shave.

My biggest complaint about Lemoore is that I couldn't get away from the smell of cow sh*t.
And you still need reservations to get in. Of course if one is receiving per diem, the smart move might be to ignore said reservations, get the non-availability stamp, and stay at the Navy Lodge, which is better. But then again this isn't a Navy Lodge review thread.

As a quasi-threadjack, does anyone know how Pensacola's Q survived the hurricanes of a couple years ago? I lived there for 8 months and it was nice, but I have no clue what changes they made to fix things after the storms.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was in the Pcola BOQ last week for my flight physical. Room was pretty nice, but after riding bitch in a minivan for 7 hours and then getting up at 5 the next morning for the physical I could have slept anywhere. It looked like they were doing a lot of renovations and stuff on some of the other buildings but I didn't look too much.

MasterBates

NAS JAX VQ, Building "C" $24/night

In the same complex as the BLDG 11 WW2 BOQ, but a newer building. This is straight up 60's construction. 1 large room with a king size bed. Floor to cieling glass front wall. Be sure your curtains are drawn.

This is straight up Motel-6. Not bad for a couple nights, but would like a nicer place if I was there for a week or more.

Good things: THE BED. IT'S AWESOME.

The bad: No friggin cooking facilites. And there are few places to eat on base after 2000 or so. And the strange glass front wall.

The odd: Glass wall.

Within 5 min walk:
O-Club (limited hours, as in I have never seen it open)
Mulligand/Golf Club (the DeFacto O-Club)
T-BAR. 1500-1900 M-F and Reserve Weekends
NAVHOSP JAX
Navy Lodge
RV Park

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the random recollections department:

NAS Willow Grove BOQ (while it's still here)

Standard BOQ room, if a little cheap looking. The lobby plays host to the "Orion Club" which I guess is what passes for an O-club bar. But other than that, the hallways look like they could have come out of a mental ward; no decoration or embellishment. Walls. Carpet. Doors. Blah.

As mentioned, the room itself is same-same, typical BOQ quality, but the bathroom looks like something out of Soviet Russia. Totally spartan and utilitarian. And they seem to have BRAC'ed the hot water a few years before the rest of the base. Nice thing to find out after a 3-mile run. NOT. Luckily if you are stuck there (as I was after some flying club yahoo landed a T-34B gear up on the runway) there is a killer oriental restaurant nearby along with a huge megaplex movie theater.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nittany, I guess you were up on the hill?

I go to Willow Grove on a semi-regular basis, my first time I was put in the "combined" building which is right next to the main gate, now I request it everytime. HUGE room, nice big desk and table for studying, big bed, full size fridge, shared lobby/lounge area which works for small group meetings (5-6 people), brand new bathrooms with excellent water pressure and heat reliability. My only complaint is that the air conditioner was lousy and it gets muggy in June.

Plus "Double Vision" is right across the street. Bullet wounds and c-section scars.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was in the building actually labeled "Bachelor Officer's Quarters" by the running track. Though had I known about it I still would have skipped the bullet wounds and C-section scars . . .

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The Q in Rota is pretty nice. Stayed there after a mid cruise several years ago. The rooms were small, but considering I had just gotten off of a sub it was pretty spacious to me.

Anyways, I was put into a two bed suite, I guess is what it would've been called. Two twins, a center section with a washer and dryer (in the room) plus a little mini-kitchen, and then a living room with a tv. Pretty decent, clean, bed slept well.

The only bad thing, if you could call it that, is that the location is several miles from the pier as well as the main gate, so it was a pretty good walk anywhere you went.

Oh, and if you ask a taxi driver to take you to a club, they're actually strip club/brothels instead (to our surprise and enjoyment ):icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Q in Rota is pretty nice. Stayed there after a mid cruise several years ago. The rooms were small, but considering I had just gotten off of a sub it was pretty spacious to me.

Anyways, I was put into a two bed suite, I guess is what it would've been called. Two twins, a center section with a washer and dryer (in the room) plus a little mini-kitchen, and then a living room with a tv. Pretty decent, clean, bed slept well.

The only bad thing, if you could call it that, is that the location is several miles from the pier as well as the main gate, so it was a pretty good walk anywhere you went.

Oh, and if you ask a taxi driver to take you to a club, they're actually strip club/brothels instead (to our surprise and enjoyment ):icon_smil

I have many fine memories (and some fuzzy ones) from Rota. Good food, good drinks, good people. Those were the good old days of VP. Six months in Rota, twist my arm.

Brett

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
What are yall talking about? North Island has awesome Q rooms. For the $25-30 night I got a 2-room suite with a big bed, kitchen, living room, etc.. It was the building behind the main Q check-in spot (SNCO/Officer suites).

North Island has nice rooms? As one who stays there at least twice a month, I can tell you that they must hide it well. The O rooms they put us up in during SDO watches are horrid. During the summer there is no A/C and the screens in the windows don't fit correctly.

During the winter they turn the heat on. By that I mean that they have the heater blowing hot air into the room all night long and producing as much noise as a 53. There is a thermostat in the room with a fan control, but it does not secure the fan or the heater. The rooms were about 85 degrees which made sleeping on the afore mentioned rock hard beds next to impossible.

I will echo the thoughts about the carpet and the overall condition of the room. The phone doesn't work. There are stoves in the kitchen, but they look like they haven't been serviced since Nixon was in office. The televisions are small enough that I end up watching movies on my laptop because it has a bigger screen and higher quality sound.

Maybe there are nice rooms in other buildings, but if they assign you anything in a 152X building, ask for something else. Compared to the Q at Whiting, P'Cola, or NSB King's Bay, North Island is a dump.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
North Island has some nice rooms, but most of their rooms suck. More than anything though, any large group checking into NASNI (by large i mean more than three in your party) it takes forever to check in. They have a nice lobby with a new checkin desk and all that, but it still take forever. Now NAS Brunswick, that place knows how to check people in en mass.

MasterBates

The latest from the homeless wandering pilot..

NAS Corpus Christi BOQ
Cost: $25 (efficiency), $18 (motel style room)

60's era construction. The Efficencies have a living room with a breakfast nook, the kitchen has a full-size fridge/freezer, with a 2 burner cook top and a normal size microwave.

Bed is a Queen-Width, and normal length. TV/DVD/VCR in both rooms. Basic cable with HBO.

Bathroom is a small full bath, like you would find in a 1BR apartment.

GOOD THINGS: Close to NEX and Commisarry.

Bad things. Its on the intercoastal. If you are there for an extended period of time, your stuff will rust.

Within 5 minute walk:
NEX
Commissary
McDonalds
Barber Shop
Bay Club (sort of the O-Club, has an O-bar)
Navy Lodge
CNATRA
NAVHOSP Corpus Christi

Rasczak

Marine
The latest from the homeless wandering pilot..

NAS Corpus Christi BOQ
Cost: $25 (efficiency), $18 (motel style room)

60's era construction. The Efficencies have a living room with a breakfast nook, the kitchen has a full-size fridge/freezer, with a 2 burner cook top and a normal size microwave.

Bed is a Queen-Width, and normal length. TV/DVD/VCR in both rooms. Basic cable with HBO.

Bathroom is a small full bath, like you would find in a 1BR apartment.

GOOD THINGS: Close to NEX and Commisarry.

Bad things. Its on the intercoastal. If you are there for an extended period of time, your stuff will rust.

Within 5 minute walk:
NEX
Commissary
McDonalds
Barber Shop
Bay Club (sort of the O-Club, has an O-bar)
Navy Lodge
CNATRA
NAVHOSP Corpus Christi

The fishing is somewhat decent around this time of the year. If you have time that is. That pier right next to the BOQ is fairly nice. When the wind is up, it proves for some very good resistance when running. I liked it.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
They just remodeled the NASCC Q a year or so ago. They were working on half of it when I left in summer 05. If you're hungry at lunch make sure you go to the Prop Stop in 31's hangar, mmmmmm.