• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... If you're hungry at lunch make sure you go to the Prop Stop in 31's hangar, mmmmmm.
Too bad you-all missed this one ... talk 'bout "mmmmmm" ... :) .... there's nothing like the Chili-Dog w/onions or a Mk76 Chili-Cheese-Bacon-Burger chased down with a big chocolate shake to prep yourself for a trip to the target somewhere out around George West or Freer or Alice or wherever the heck it was ... with three STUDs on your wing and a hot Texas sun on your neck.

The "Brew" on the signage was reserved for the debrief ... ;)

*sniff* .. *sniff* .... "Chez Dog" .... a.k.a. the NAS CHASE OPS snack bar. If you visit there, you can still smell the unmistakable scent of stale Navy grease ... ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

texas040ac8.jpg

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
NAS Boca Chica, Key West, FL. The Trumbo Tower CBQ (the O and E Q's are quickly becoming a thing of the past I guess) was nice. Even looked good with the blurred vision that came from tossin' em back in the "on-site" bar downstairs...

The rooms had great views from one side of the bldg, and "not so much" on the other.

Only 5 mins to downtown bars....can't complain about that.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAS Boca Chica, Key West, FL. The Trumbo Tower CBQ (the O and E Q's are quickly becoming a thing of the past I guess) was nice. Even looked good with the blurred vision that came from tossin' em back in the "on-site" bar downstairs...

The rooms had great views from one side of the bldg, and "not so much" on the other.

Only 5 mins to downtown bars....can't complain about that.
So the question remains: If you were indeed 5 minutes from Duval Street, why toss them back in the BOQ Bar? Sloppy Joe's? Captain Tony's? Margaritaville? Hog's Breath?? It's not all gay bars outside the fence down there, you know. Thank God.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So the question remains: If you were indeed 5 minutes from Duval Street, why toss them back in the BOQ Bar? Sloppy Joe's? Captain Tony's? Margaritaville? Hog's Breath?? It's not all gay bars outside the fence down there, you know. Thank God.
Why??? Trumbo Point??? 'Cause it's a cheap and easy warm-up for Duval Street.. get 1/2 of your buzz goin' for 1/2 the price.

THEN ... move out and occupy the bars on Duval.

Last time I was there ... just after I retired from the NAV ... I bought the bar as I walked into the BOQ downstairs libation lounge with my ball cap on .... that' the first and LAST time I made that mistake. :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
About the Mayport BOQ, I was looking at the base on Google Earth and I'm just wondering how long of a walk is it between it and the helo squadrons?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
About the Mayport BOQ, I was looking at the base on Google Earth and I'm just wondering how long of a walk is it between it and the helo squadrons?

It's a pretty good hike. You have to go by the piers and then cross the road and then you still aren't at the active duty squadrons. I'd guess a bit more than a mile. And don't get me started on only having one gate open to the ships and it's on the other side from where your ship is.... But I digress.

JJCaesar

pilot
O'club Screw up (depends how you look at it, you never lose when buying for the bro's)...

Wayyyy back in the day, as a young VA-42 FRP (BUG), after golfing (drinking) 18 holes for the Intruder Open, walked into the Oceana O'club with my "Intruder's Forever" ball cap on, happened to be the "pre Intruder Ball" Mixer, bought a round for the bar...it gets better...after realizing that all the high fives and cheers weren't for my wonderful personality and piloting skills (just my $$), I proceeded to take off my ball cap...and put it on the bar...I may have been young, but at least I was stupid....more cheers and high fives all around...two rounds bought. Diane, one of the world's greatest bartendresses, took my credit card and when I got the bill back, it totalled $300. There were at least 200 folks in the bar. Diane was looking out for this wayward LTJG...great lady. My wife wasn't even mad, she thought it was funny...her only question was, "How much did you drink on the golf course...and were you driving a golf cart?" My answer, "I don't know...I don't remember..."

phrogpilot73

walked into the Oceana O'club with my "Intruder's Forever" ball cap on... I proceeded to take off my ball cap...and put it on the bar...I may have been young, but at least I was stupid....There were at least 200 folks in the bar.
That's beautiful... The only way it could have been better is if you had your sword with you ;) I've only had to buy the Club a round once, and it was 'cause I didn't have my squadron coin. Luckily, they hey-day of the club is passed and there were only about 20 people there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Re: the Jax Q. Nice facility, but I really got a beef with the management there. Out on the Jax Opareas during workups on IKE, full bird (5 guys) had to divert ashore after the port motor decided to misbehave. So we're stuck on the beach for an undetermined length of time, and the Q tells us they've got no room for us, because there's some sort of DODS educator's convention on-base. So, let me get this straight - the Bachelor Officer's Quarters has no room for five Navy officers who are unexpectedly stranded, without so much as a toothbrush, because you gave priority to a bunch of civilian teachers? Who knew in advance they were coming and could have got reservations out in town? And, insult to injury, they wouldn't give us a CNA so we could at least get reimbursed for staying at a POS Holiday Inn out in Orange Park...they considered us "Space A" because we didn't have orders.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Re: the Jax Q. Nice facility, but I really got a beef with the management there. Out on the Jax Opareas during workups on IKE, full bird (5 guys) had to divert ashore after the port motor decided to misbehave. So we're stuck on the beach for an undetermined length of time, and the Q tells us they've got no room for us, because there's some sort of DODS educator's convention on-base. So, let me get this straight - the Bachelor Officer's Quarters has no room for five Navy officers who are unexpectedly stranded, without so much as a toothbrush, because you gave priority to a bunch of civilian teachers? Who knew in advance they were coming and could have got reservations out in town? And, insult to injury, they wouldn't give us a CNA so we could at least get reimbursed for staying at a POS Holiday Inn out in Orange Park...they considered us "Space A" because we didn't have orders.

I wouldn't necessarily blame Jax specifically. I think it's a Navy Q thing in general. I had the same thing happen to me in Mayport. My bird broke, so dash 2 stayed w/ us since he had half the maintainers onboard. Mom was several hundred miles away and trying to get orders out of them was going to be pointless. So, in between FCFing all day, I go down to get rooms for all 10 of us, including several junior POs. "Sorry, you're not on orders."

I asked them if they had rooms and the answer was yes, but they couldn't give them up due to possible last minute people arriving. When I explained WHY we didn't have orders and that we were currently deployed (ship was going back on station after an IMAV), they still wouldn't budge. I'm not sure how high up the food chain I went, but it wasn't much. I think the key phrase I used was "So you're telling me that you're going to send out this E-3 out in town and expect him to pay 70+ bucks because you don't have a piece of paper?"

We got our rooms.

I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but MacDill absolutely pisses me off. I've been a weather divert, on orders, and they say they don't have rooms, only to see several retired (and I mean 70 year-olds) walking into the building for their room. I guess the AF doesn't feel the need to follow the billeting rules. Grrrrr...

MasterBates

Mayport BOQ.

I had had my PCS orders to HT-8 canceled and was awaiting new orders to be cut "any day now". I was in the Q, along with a buddy who's departure to Rota (PEP tour) had been delayed as well.

We both had to move out, and over to NAS JAX. Why? The AF Soccer team was there, and because there were a couple O's on the team, they ALL had to "stay together" (treated like a bomber crew I guess).

Even though the BEQ was less than 100 yards away and had room.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, I figured it wasn't them specifically, more of a Big Navy BOQ policy, but still. Sounds like more or less exactly what happened to my crew, but when we tried the same logic, we got the "they're not paying me enough to put up with your shit" blank stare in reply.

"We don't have orders because we didn't plan on coming here. Our plane broke and we had to land."
"Well, your command should have sent orders ahead of time."
"Are you thinking before you talk, or are you just repeating random words?"

Anyway.

Out in SD for NMPS (pre-IA bullshite) I got re-routed to the Coronado BOQ vice 32nd St due to some paperwork fuck-up or other. The 32nd St (blackshoe base) Q isn't bad, and it has the merit of being right next to the trolley stop and thus you can get all over without a car. The Coronado Q is in a high-rise building which either gives you a view of the harbor, or a view of the ocean. Either way, awesome. Across the street from the O-Club, to boot.