• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Why stay at the Q if they don't want you? Per diem rate is higher out in town...

I avoid the Q like the f'ing plague.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why stay at the Q if they don't want you? Per diem rate is higher out in town...

I avoid the Q like the f'ing plague.

Yeah... The real world doesn't work like that. It's not like your magical P-3 world where it rains gumdrops and everyone gets a suite while on deployment.

Seriously, money is usually the big reason.

phrogpilot73

Yuma in general sucks.
After damn near living there (I went to two back-to-back WTI classes, followed by Desert Talon x2), I can say that it's not that bad - and it's getting better. Although I agree with HD that the Q blows something fierce. Think about this - a penitentiary is probably better.

As for the town of Yuma, the new mall is nice, there are some nice hotels (Shilo Inn being one of them), and the restaurants aren't bad (Burgers & Beer, Hunter's Steak House come to mind). However, you better not be a Mexican hater... There's one or two of them there...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of desert places you can wind up living for long periods of time TAD, I like how they've fixed up Fallon's Q/O Club/MWR these last few years. Only place I've been that's really oriented toward giving you a comfortable place to live, as opposed to Government Motel. O Club food is pretty good and the kitchen's open late, so you can get a decent hot meal when you get done debriefing the last event at 0100.

HuggyU2

None
It's not really a "VOQ", although they call it that. And it's no longer an active duty military base. But the "VOQ" at Ellington Field's (Houston, Texas) Southwest Services is a great deal. $25 for a good room, access to the bar (where there beers are under a buck and there's food); internet access, flight planning in the bar, occassional visits by the Hooters waitresses, a hot tub, and a mini theatre with stadium seating that will easily hold about 30 folks: great for debriefing your 4v4, or just enjoying some flicks.
Randolph: when I was an O-2, all they had left was a DV suite: I wish my house was that nice.
Navy Lodge: I always check to see if there's one where I'm staying. Oftentimes, it's a great deal.
However, since I don't usually stay somewhere over 24 hours in the CONUS, I'll use a hotel IAW the JFTR.

MasterBates

VOQ at Ellington is mucho nice.

I wx diverted into there in 02 on my Airnav XC in Helos.. Treated us like kings even though we only took 40 gallons of JP.

I was there Friday on an out & in for my RI Check. They had the ClownJet serviced and ready to go in 10 minutes, but we stayed longer.

Never seen hooters chicks there though.. Although the FBO Hotties they have on staff are pretty nice.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Yeah... The real world doesn't work like that. It's not like your magical P-3 world where it rains gumdrops and everyone gets a suite while on deployment.

Seriously, money is usually the big reason.

Well, if they have no rooms, or can get you a CNA, the money WILL be there. We're supposed to stay on base to the max extent possible, but if there's no room the Navy isn't going to stiff you 'cause you have to stay in town.

I'm all about maximizing your income.

MasterBates

You apparently are not familiar with communities other than VP.. I have spent a couple nights in the Seahawk Hotel because the BOQ/Lodge was full, and we could not get cars/hotels.

I was told for most Out & Ins, that if I broke down where there is not a BOQ, we don't have money for hotels. More than once I elected to sleep in the helo vs a $120 hotel that I would not get reimbursed for.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, if they have no rooms, or can get you a CNA, the money WILL be there. We're supposed to stay on base to the max extent possible, but if there's no room the Navy isn't going to stiff you 'cause you have to stay in town.

I'm all about maximizing your income.

This is also not how it's done in the TRACOM. There's just too much TAD ops that they can't afford to pay for everyone staying out in town w/ every CNA. If you're a weather divert or a Maint. divert, sure, but if you're planning on going somewhere w/out a Q, plan on paying for it unless it's the "right" time of the quarter.

Ships are also notoriously tight. I never did get a travel claim for our extended stay in Mayport that I mentioned earlier. It just wasn't in their box.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
This is also not how it's done in the TRACOM. There's just too much TAD ops that they can't afford to pay for everyone staying out in town w/ every CNA. If you're a weather divert or a Maint. divert, sure, but if you're planning on going somewhere w/out a Q, plan on paying for it unless it's the "right" time of the quarter.

Ships are also notoriously tight. I never did get a travel claim for our extended stay in Mayport that I mentioned earlier. It just wasn't in their box.

Wow, I've never been stiffed out of travel cash. Seems as if every command is different. Our travel budget at my command is HUGE since we travel an insane amount (nearly all international), so it hasn't been an issue.

I think it does make some sense for the TRACOM folks to get a cut rate, as a cross country is pretty much a really good deal.

It's total BS that our ship didn't pay you for that travel claim. Did they at least pay the E's on your crew?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think it does make some sense for the TRACOM folks to get a cut rate, as a cross country is pretty much a really good deal.

It's total BS that our ship didn't pay you for that travel claim. Did they at least pay the E's on your crew?

Unfortunately, I don't think they did. It was one of those things where I couldn't fight the battle because it was left up to my OIC and the ship's XO (both solid guys) and the det Admin O (not so much). I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't push any more due to the XO and it ended up getting dropped for a while until it just "went away." My chief and I took care of them as best we could (meals).

As for the TRACOM, I agree that a cut rate makes sense, but I've heard there's a HT squadron that doesn't pay it's IPs at all because it's such a "good deal." If you've ever flown a full 4 days then go on a multi-day CCX, it's not that good of a deal. Surprise, surprise, IPs don't go on the road. Again, this is what I heard around the base. Maybe Chunks has better knowledge.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Out in Corpus in Primary we were given a set rate of $80 a night for our cross countries. I was able to find a place in downtown Austin for that without any problem. Granted, I went on my cross countries the last two weeks of the FY, but I thought that everybody was getting that too. Nobody ever talked about going to a Q.

BTW, I was blown away when I got to the Ellington FBO. Every FBO should be like that

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

For who though? Honestly, I do CCX's every few months, but mostly out of a sense of debt to my squadron for letting me do grad school one day a week and as a favor to my onwings. Yes, you do get one day off in a location of your choosing, but the other two days are hard ass work and guess what you get to come back to Sunday night? Usually a 6 AM brief on Monday. Maybe I am just an old guy, but CCX ops seem more like hard work than a vacation to me.
Our squadron is reasonable with the funds. We try to stay in BOQ/friends and family, but if you want to go to a location where there isn't any of the above, they will foot $50/person to stay in a hotel. If you double up (hopefully not in one bed) it almost always covers it. Meals and incidentals are always paid, of course.