• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So that is what the NEX ladies looked like 30-40 years ago....

GOOD CATCH, Master ... just walk through any NEX/Commisary today and check out the 50+ year old ladies of the Orient who work therein ... they were big-time Magsaysay Street girls back-in-the-day. All of 'em ....

Marmont 3, New Jolo's, Jolo's, *sigh* .... etc., etc.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Old West number one and two. Subic and Cubi warriors probably still smile every time they see a 6 inch high stack of peso coins...."wow, where does she put them." They were dispensing coins long before ATM's were around.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Subic and Cubi warriors probably still smile every time they see a 6 inch high stack of peso coins...."wow, where does she put them." They were dispensing coins long before ATM's were around.
They were better at this in Thailand. There was a girl there that would take U.S. coins and return you the exact amount you asked for. :D

It was the string of razor blades that really impressed me. :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Named for Construction Unit Battalion One (CUBI), lead SeaBee unit in its construction.

BINGO ... but did you "really" know it ... ??? Or did you Goober/Google it ???

No matter ... Construction Unit Battalion One ... CUBI .... probably the largest SeaBee project ever .... I will take you at your word as an Officer & a Gentleman and award rep points for knowing something about modern Naval history that most don't ... BZ Goober.

Or Google. :)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Nope, really knew it. Just did miss making it there in the early 90's too. I had actually looked forward to it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nope, really knew it. Just did miss making it there in the early 90's too. I had actually looked forward to it.

Right; I understand.

Hollywood notwithstanding, the classic phrase is really not "...see Rome and die" ... originally, it was ... " ... see CUBI .... "etc., etc. :)

nascubiptcw4.jpg

BlkPny

pilot
Olongapo Down

Had to ferry a plane to Cubi from Binh Thuy for repaint, and pick up one that was finished. After we taxied to the ramp and shut down a Jeep came roaring up to us. A maint. chief jumped out and came over. He said, "Sir, I know you will probably want to spend a couple of extra days here shopping and seeing the sights. Do me a favor. Don't break your plane to down it. I don't feel like fixing something that you broke on purpose. Just tell me something is broke, I'll tell you I'll fix it in 3 days, and we both win. No harm, no foul. We call it an Olongapo Down."
Stayed 3 extra days, saw the "sights", and went back to work. God bless maint chiefs. :icon_mi_1

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
One of the best parts of being in a forward deployed air wing (CAG-5; USS Midway) was that we took cross countries to Cubi. Stopped in Kadena for some Kobi beef, and then bustered to Cubi, flying a low level the last 100 miles, in time to enjoy the best PI had to offer.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One of the best parts ....Stopped in Kadena for some Kobi beef, and then bustered to Cubi, flying a low level the last 100 miles...
Roger that ... 'cept it's KOBE beef, and the last 100 miles was flown (or should have been) UNDER 100 feet ... :)

temp073smallqi3.jpg

.... Photo taken by your boys in blue, spending your parent's tax dollars while greeting the local banca boaters outside the mouth of Subic Bay .... slightly less than 100', slightly over 450 KIAS, too ... :)

HalfBreed

None
NAS Brunswick:

I've stayed in 3 different types of rooms. The first was during my pre-field SERE stay. I was given a junior enlisted type room, with 2 double beds in it. The bed was like sleeping on a carpeted floor, but this was the only downside. As it has been mentioned already, this is a brand new building, so everything is clean and nothing is broken (yet). If you were actually staying for any amount of time, you have a walk-in closet (one per occupant) to use. When I returned from the field, I had a room with a single queen size bed (I could have comfotably slept anywhere at this point, so I can't give a bed "comfiness" report), a "kitchen" sink, full size fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. Again, I had a big closet and also this time a huge shower (I was put in a handicap room). I also visited this base when I was a mid on aviation cruise and I spent 3 weeks in the other Q which is generally for officer types. This was an awesome room. It had a sitting room with a tv, sofa and armchair. There was a kitchenette (no stove) with a sink, cabinets, island, microwave, and fridge. The bathroom was big and nice. The second room contained a full size bed, dresser, second tv, desk, etc. An AF instructor I had in P-cola said that this was the nicest Q he had ever stayed at (take that as you will).

In general, the entire base is within 10 min walking distance of both buildings. Rent a car or have Brunswick Taxi on speed dial if you want too see downtown Brunswick (don't blink) or Portland. The NEX closes ungodly early which includes its small food court. The Qs have this neat coffee making machine in the lobby where you can select your own roast of personal sized grounds and have the coffee brewed in about 15 sec.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
NAS Lemoore BQ

NAS Lemoore (just got back from Sh*tville, CA)

The actrual setup of the room is good... and its close to the gate, NEX and McD's. Service is great and the people are polite.

My gripes: ant infestation and you have to run the water for like 20 minutes to get it luke warm, and another 10 to get it hot. Also, the mirror setup in the bathroom makes it very uncomfortable to shave.

My biggest complaint about Lemoore is that I couldn't get away from the smell of cow sh*t.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NAS Lemoore ....My gripes: ant infestation and you have to run the water for like 20 minutes to get it luke warm, and another 10 to get it hot. ....My biggest complaint about Lemoore is that I couldn't get away from the smell of cow sh*t.

Still the same after all these years ... makes my heart go pitter patter ... :) .... get a couple cans of RAID for the ants and roaches ... don't sweat the hot water -- it's free ... and cowsh!t smell ??? While not great, it's much better than Los Alamitos ... :)