• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yuma is an embarassment even by Marine standards. The place is the crossroads of Marine aviation, you would think 4 guys sharing a head and no remote control would have been adressed by now.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
:eek: No remote!!?
the HORROR

Do a 3 week det there with 6 channels one of which is in Spanish and talk to me, oh by the way no per diem either.

aircav06

None
Navy Q at Coastal Systems Command, Panama City Beach. Before the prices went up in 2000 or so. $11 company grade and $18 for the field grade suite.

On the bay, has a hot tub, boat launch and boat wash rack and is about a mile from the Panama City Beach and St. Andrews State Park. Take your jet ski.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Yuma is an embarassment even by Marine standards. The place is the crossroads of Marine aviation, you would think 4 guys sharing a head and no remote control would have been adressed by now.

agreed ... Yuma BOQ is an embarassment. If anybody is ever headed that way and you have to stop somewhere, stop into Davis-Monthan in Tucson (average BOQ considering it's AF), or continue to N.Island or Miramar. Hell, El Centro would be a better stop than Yuma. I'd just as soon sleep in the jet on the flightline than stay in that shithole BOQ at MCAS Yuma.

Other than being in Hawaii and walking distance to the club, K Bay was a pretty bad stay, IMO. I was stoked that they had some hinge meeting the third night we were there and it was booked up ... we were "forced" out into town ... we stayed at Waikiki Beach .. that really sucked.

Miramar BOQ isn't too bad, close to the club (it's not the same club from A4's days though). At least as of a year ago, taxi's weren't allowed on base so you had to walk to the front gate, about a mile walk, to catch a cab. Similar to N. Island if I recall correctly. Serious drawback if yu are looking to hit the 'ville to party.

Beaufort BOQ is crap ... fly into Charleston AFB instead. Why in hell would one do a x-country to BFT anyways?

Key West BOQ's ... nice if you get the one down in town on the water and within walking distance to the bars. Otherwise, the one located on the base is crappy - because it's not in town, and is ~ a 20min ride.

In my experience, Air Force BOQ's are the way to go, if you have to fly into a military airfield. Hate to say it, but avoid Marine Corps BOQ's if possible.

S/F

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
North Island is catch as catch can. I stayed there as a Mid in rooms similar to what has been described above. Nice setup. Roomy enough for me and the other Mid assigned to my squadron to split the cost and have one of us crash on the couch (we were based in El Sweato). That was in the nicer buildings down the hill from the flightline.

When I was there for SERE, I had a room in the buildings closer to the flightline (Not the I Annex, the other set) that should have embarrassed the manager. Only time I have ever filled out a comment card on the room being atrocious. Furniture looked 30 years old, the bed was hard as a rock, and the carpet was stained so badly it looked like someone had scribbled on it with magic marker.

Of course, when I got back from the field, I was in hog heaven, but at that point I would have happy with a Therm-A-Rest and a tent on the beach. Still, it ties with Eglin for the worst Q I've stayed in.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WRT Air Force Qs, I would agree with jarhead. I stayed in DM's when I was driving cross-country from Meridian to San Diego and it was pretty nice. The cake has to go to Barksdale AFB; I got a full bedroom and sitting room with a kitchenette for the price of a normal Q room. And the base is absolutely gorgeous. I imagine the B-52 guys must fight tooth-and-nail to get stationed there instead of Minot.

Eglin, as I've said, is tied for the worst Q I've ever stayed in. I forget which of the 5 or so "Inns" there I stayed in. Floor plan wasn't bad, single room with a bath and a shared kitchen a la D-M. But the quality was crap. They literally wallpapered over concrete blocks with no sheetrock first. You could see the mortar joints as the wallpaper followed their contours. Utterly ghetto looking.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are yall talking about? North Island has awesome Q rooms. For the $25-30 night I got a 2-room suite with a big bed, kitchen, living room, etc.. It was the building behind the main Q check-in spot (SNCO/Officer suites).

Miramar... never stayed in the Q, but if the Miramar Inn is any indicator of facilities there, no thanks. Worst base inn/hotel I've seen and a ripoff for $65/night.

Yuma... haven't stayed in the Q, but I know many who have. It even looks like a sh-thole driving by it. Word on the street is that a new one is in the works. Stay in the Dos Rios Inn instead -- only a few bucks more and much nicer. And I agree... for how much of a part Yuma plays in MC aviation, the base could seriously use some work on its facilities. At least the bar is nice.

32nd St... so-so. About what you'd expect for $25/night, and one of the 'secrets' of finding a cheap place to crash in SD close to the bars.

Admiral Kidd... another spot to look at when there are no other options in SD. Not too terribly far away from everything, and generally nice rooms. A bit nicer than 32nd St.

Ft Bliss (El Paso) has a decent inn as well. Good stop on that cross-country drive. It's a bit removed from the interstate, but easy to get to and there's not much past El Paso until you hit Tuscon... Las Cruces not withstanding.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ft Bliss (El Paso) has a decent inn as well. Good stop on that cross-country drive. It's a bit removed from the interstate, but easy to get to and there's not much past El Paso until you hit Tuscon... Las Cruces not withstanding.

Good gouge, I'll have to keep that in mind. It's hard to find somewhere out there to stop for the night and the ole Turbo Weenie can't go much farther west in a day.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I think part of the "problem" is that many of you expect too much.

I've spent over half of my adult life on the road --- staying way too many hours in way too many hotels, motels, flop houses, rest houses, and BOQ's --- some good, some great, some historic, many just average, some not so good ...

If after flying all day, if I get a clean, quiet place to sleep --- that's good. The rest is just fluff. Rent a car and go to town, if you must be entertained ... :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
K-bay Boq

My statement stands. It's the worst I've been in. But I tend to avoid Marine bases... and I can't speak for historical anecdotes.

I have stayed in wayyy too many Qs and Kbay's is the worst (beating Diego Garcia's old JO Ghetto with the dead rat lottery). At the top of the hill, yet no wind, oven-hot and humid, with no air conditioner. Ants EVERYWHERE, EVERYTIME I've had to stay there. Roaches abound, and keep in mind they aren't afraid to take up residence in your car in the parking lot. Shared bathroom with unreliable water pressure and heat, but all the anonymous pubic hair you could ever need. Plus, when you share that bathroom, your neighbor can inadvertantly lock you out of it at any time. Random and inadequate housekeeping service. Paper thin walls.

They do have one of those kick-ass fresh brewed by the cup coffee machines with the single serving filters as well as a decent continental breakfast (bagels, toast, fruit, muffins). The "conference room" isn't a bad place to study, if no one is watching the TV next door or using the BBQ pit outside. Also, as said before, 20 steps to the Club across the way, which is pricy but nice.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
though it is being remodeled I would have to say that the "Crackhouse" or Cul De Sac Inn on MCAS Futenma is by far the worst thing going. 6 month deployment living there ammenities include but not limited to:
1. Mildew smell from the flooding that occurs everytime a typhoon rolls through, yes even the second deck
2. No kitchen faciliites at all giving you two choices: paper plates or washing dishes in the shower Kramer style
3. Roaches and other assorted wildlife making it a living safari

The positives:
walking distance from the dirtiest nastiest most fun dive bar in the entire pacific, the Scarbar where alcoholism and stupididy are elevated to titanic proportions. Couch fires and COs shooting water balloons at the road are not out of the norm there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I would have to say that the "Crackhouse" or Cul De Sac Inn on MCAS Futenma is by far the worst thing going...
I forgot about that one .... stayed there one night on a MAC charter divert into Kadena when our regular layover hotels were full --- the whole crew went to the NCO club, sang, danced and drank ourselves to sleep.

That helped block out the horror and made it all better ... :)