• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

First_Gen

I'm applying for the December board as well.
Just some stat's for reference to see where we all stand.

Male - 21
Applying for SNA.
ASTB - 8/9/8 66
GPA - 3.08 in Aerospace Engineering, Minor in Engineering Mechanics
Private Pilot ASEL with Tailwheel endorsement - 75 tt
6 LOR's including my old scoutmaster who was an Army O-5 and an ANG O-7.
Eagle Scout
Headed to MEPS next month.

Good luck to all!

exNavyOffRec

I'm applying for the December board as well.
Just some stat's for reference to see where we all stand.

Male - 21
Applying for SNA.
ASTB - 8/9/8 66
GPA - 3.08 in Aerospace Engineering, Minor in Engineering Mechanics
Private Pilot ASEL with Tailwheel endorsement - 75 tt
6 LOR's including my old scoutmaster who was an Army O-5 and an ANG O-7.
Eagle Scout
Headed to MEPS next month.

Good luck to all!

You need to get to MEPS ASAP, the new regulations state you must be PQ from N3M prior to application submission, that means you really need to get to MEPS in the next 2 weeks.

First_Gen

You need to get to MEPS ASAP, the new regulations state you must be PQ from N3M prior to application submission, that means you really need to get to MEPS in the next 2 weeks.

News to me! I'll have to get to see if my OR can expedite the process tommorow. For reference, When is the next SNA board going to be convening after this upcoming one?

First_Gen

July 2013

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/1131.2E CH 3 COVER LTR with Summary of Significant Changes (final).pdf

look under Chapter 4 changes, medical processing

Time is running out, once you get to MEPS they can take up to 5 working days after your physical to get the final copy to your recruiter, then N3M can take up to 5 working days so to be safe you need to get to MEPS this week, if you have anything that needs medical documents you might not make it.

Got it moved up and will be headed to MEPS next week. Hopefully the medical Gods smile down on me and it gets though N3M without a hitch. Thanks for the Info!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Time is running out, once you get to MEPS they can take up to 5 working days after your physical to get the final copy to your recruiter, then N3M can take up to 5 working days so to be safe you need to get to MEPS this week, if you have anything that needs medical documents you might not make it.
Just went to MEPS yesterday, they gave me an RBJ date due to my weight. Still waiting to hear back from my recruiter. Any way around that RBJ, or will I now have to wait until the next pilot board?

I also didn't do very well on the depth perception test. They said at MEPS that there was no other depth perception test, but someone at my recruiting office (other than my recruiter) said there might be a way to visit an optometrist or something to have another test done and they can write a letter or something to that effect. Is that possible?

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
I haven't gone through the process myself to be sure, but I believe I have seen other people answer this question like this:

You can get a medical waiver by getting another test done, but the test you take at MEPS is the test you will take at OCS, so one would think if you can't do it at MEPS, you will fail it at OCS as well, thus having to switch your selection at OCS instead of before you go. Someone else who has been through the process can obviously give you more information, or NavyOffRec for that matter, but I believe this is the case.

exNavyOffRec

Just went to MEPS yesterday, they gave me an RBJ date due to my weight. Still waiting to hear back from my recruiter. Any way around that RBJ, or will I now have to wait until the next pilot board?

I also didn't do very well on the depth perception test. They said at MEPS that there was no other depth perception test, but someone at my recruiting office (other than my recruiter) said there might be a way to visit an optometrist or something to have another test done and they can write a letter or something to that effect. Is that possible?

What was the RBJ date and how for off were you?

I have seen people do civilian depth perception test and pass, and I have seen those people fail at OCS and get redesignated, it is a crapshoot.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What was the RBJ date and how for off were you?

I have seen people do civilian depth perception test and pass, and I have seen those people fail at OCS and get redesignated, it is a crapshoot.
Ten pounds over, so they gave me 40 days, until 11/29. I'll have no trouble dropping the ten pounds in half that time, but it'll still be too late to make the December board deadline. But that's not even my biggest concern anymore; the depth perception is much more concerning to me. I read in another post that I might be able to bring the test results from a civilian test to OCS and show them that if I fail the AFVT there.

Another consideration is that when I took the test at MEPS, I wasn't very well rested at all; I was flying into town the night before, and I missed my connection and got stranded in Atlanta for a few hours, etc. so I only got a half-hour sleep. It's possible I'd be able to do better given another chance, but I can't say for sure.

exNavyOffRec

Ten pounds over, so they gave me 40 days, until 11/29. I'll have no trouble dropping the ten pounds in half that time, but it'll still be too late to make the December board deadline. But that's not even my biggest concern anymore; the depth perception is much more concerning to me. I read in another post that I might be able to bring the test results from a civilian test to OCS and show them that if I fail the AFVT there.

Another consideration is that when I took the test at MEPS, I wasn't very well rested at all; I was flying into town the night before, and I missed my connection and got stranded in Atlanta for a few hours, etc. so I only got a half-hour sleep. It's possible I'd be able to do better given another chance, but I can't say for sure.

I would get checked by a civilian eye doc for the depth perception, knowing that if you pass there that you still have to pass it at OCS, should you fail at OCS would you be happy being an NFO?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I would get checked by a civilian eye doc for the depth perception, knowing that if you pass there that you still have to pass it at OCS, should you fail at OCS would you be happy being an NFO?
Yeah I think I'd be alright with that. Just out of curiosity, would they still allow me to separate in the eventuality that I fail that test, or would I need to redesignate at that point?

exNavyOffRec

Yeah I think I'd be alright with that. Just out of curiosity, would they still allow me to separate in the eventuality that I fail that test, or would I need to redesignate at that point?

If you get to OCS and turn out to be NPQ for Pilot then you could ask to be discharged or you could redesignate.

If you pass at the civilian I would be prepared for having to redesignate at OCS.

BDfan88

You're not going to be well rested at OCS also. According to the NAMI standards for SNA, you have to pass one of 3 tests for depth perception: AFVT "A"-"D", Stereo Booklet, or Verhoeff. Thing is, will they let you take the Stereo or Verhoeff if you cant pass the AFVT at OCS?

a_question

6/7/6, 54

Apparently I studied with Barron's (bad idea according to the guy who administered the test) and got the dreaded form 4 of the test. Test admin says he thinks I won't be selected, recruiter disagreed because the rest of my package is good (3.9 GPA, master's degree). Going for SNA and NFO.