• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

BDfan88

I can't tell you the number of people I have had selected for Pilot that had no leadership experience, and the board has said officer interviews carry little if any weight, ASTB scores are number one.
I feel a little better now since my PFAR is 8

McHale's Navy

sighted nothing..sank same.
I might as well throw in my specs/2 cents since I'll be applying to the December board as well.

SNA/SWO/NFO
Age: 26 (<<Even if I get picked up in December, I'll have to get classed up by May in order to meet the age requirement)
GPA: 3.0 BA History

I have to retake the ASTB as my scores were very low. I've never done well on these tests and the 7,8,9 is frustrating.

I'll have been in the Navy Reserves 4 years in January.
Evals: 3 EPs
PRT: Good/High

LORs: They aren't done yet but I should have a total of 6. (Current employer, Rugby coach, Professor, and Officers that I've worked with.)

I wish everyone the best of luck, and keep everyone updated on your progress. I've never been handed anything before in my life, and if I can somehow pull this off, it will be because I took it.

Grantspec

Pro-Rec SNA/NFO
Applying to december board.

Age 24, ASTB 9/9/9 71, GPA 2.9 Mechanical Engineering

I have been working for a military re-work depot for 3 years and should have some good LOR's

Hopefully submitting my application package in a few weeks. My recruiter said I wouldnt have to go through MEPS until after selection. Is this true?

afwx

Booyahkah
I'll be in this board as well...

28/M
SWO/SWO-OCEANO/SWO-IW/SWO-IP
8.5 years active duty Air Force weatherman E-5 (still in)
OAR 50 (didn't take ASTB because I'm not trying for aviation)
GPA 3.60 B.S. in Computer Information Systems from Florida Institute of Technology
LORs from 3 O-5s and an 0-1, all maxed out with really good write ups
5 years of operational leadership.....prior NCOIC of 2 sections in California, I now run a forecasting horseshoe (5 forecasters), and sometimes an operations floor (30 forecasters and 9 flight weather briefers)
2 USAF achievement medals, NCOIC of the quarter Q4 2011 at squadron, group, and Air Force Weather Agency, NCOIC of the quarter Q3 2012 squadron (next levels haven't been decided yet), Iraq deployment in 2005, stationed in Okinawa
6 perfect, and one near perfect performance evaluations over the years

The only certification I have is that I am certified by the National Weather Service to be a storm spotter.

I have been working for a military re-work depot for 3 years and should have some good LOR's

Hopefully submitting my application package in a few weeks. My recruiter said I wouldnt have to go through MEPS until after selection. Is this true?
You do if you choose NFO, SWO, or SNA to my knowledge. I have to go to MEPS next week prior to this board to be medically qualified for SWO and its options
Dang. Pat ryan and Kcamp you guys kicked the ASTB's butt! Good job! I just hope most applicants at this board are not as highly qualified as you guys to be perfectly honest, but I hope the best for everyone.

Maybe I'll give them a run for their money! :) Joking aside, I hope everyone does well.

Good Luck!

exNavyOffRec

No it is not correct, look at the part under chapter 4.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publicatio...th Summary of Significant Changes (final).pdf

USAF_WX2USN

I'll be in this board as well...

28/M
SWO/SWO-OCEANO/SWO-IW/SWO-IP
8.5 years active duty Air Force weatherman E-5 (still in)
OAR 50 (didn't take ASTB because I'm not trying for aviation)
GPA 3.60 B.S. in Computer Information Systems from Florida Institute of Technology
LORs from 3 O-5s and an 0-1, all maxed out with really good write ups
5 years of operational leadership.....prior NCOIC of 2 sections in California, I now run a forecasting horseshoe (5 forecasters), and sometimes an operations floor (30 forecasters and 9 flight weather briefers)
2 USAF achievement medals, NCOIC of the quarter Q4 2011 at squadron, group, and Air Force Weather Agency, NCOIC of the quarter Q3 2012 squadron (next levels haven't been decided yet), Iraq deployment in 2005, stationed in Okinawa
6 perfect, and one near perfect performance evaluations over the years

The only certification I have is that I am certified by the National Weather Service to be a storm spotter.

You do if you choose NFO, SWO, or SNA to my knowledge. I have to go to MEPS next week prior to this board to be medically qualified for SWO and its options

Maybe I'll give them a run for their money! :) Joking aside, I hope everyone does well.

Good Luck!

My package isn't going in until the February board, since they're not selecting for Oceano or SWO-OCEANO or any of the other designators until then. I guess since SWO was my third choice, it would just be rolled to the following board, if I didn't get picked up for SWO-oceano or oceano?

exNavyOffRec

My package isn't going in until the February board, since they're not selecting for Oceano or SWO-OCEANO or any of the other designators until then. I guess since SWO was my third choice, it would just be rolled to the following board, if I didn't get picked up for SWO-oceano or oceano?

Status show Oceano now closed for FY13, generally if a person goes to one board the package goes to the other boards as well, unless there is a significant length of time between them.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
21/M/Non-prior
Designator: SNA
8/9/9/61
CGPA: 3.66 (hoping to bump it up to a 3.7 before I graduate in Dec.)
4 LOR's from professors, three of whom are retired military aviators (including an adversary pilot at Topgun)
Commercial license, instrument and multi-engine rating, 220 hours total time, about 25 hours multi-engine
Added some info to my stats that I forgot the first time around.
Also, I'm down to 215 lbs now! It was a huge relief to see that the diet seems to be working so far. Planning to add some cardio to the daily regimen to bring the BF down further. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

MasterBates

As someone who lost a ton of weight and held it off (until I got out), this is what worked for me.

I was in BF standards, but too heavy for ejection seats.

30 minutes bike Cardio
Normal weight workout. Low rep sets at about 80% 1RM. Squats are your friend. They work a lot of stuff all at once.
30 minutes elliptical. Helps work the acid out of your muscles post lifting.

Make sure you get enough protien. You won't recover for crap without enough protien.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
As someone who lost a ton of weight and held it off (until I got out), this is what worked for me.

I was in BF standards, but too heavy for ejection seats.

30 minutes bike Cardio
Normal weight workout. Low rep sets at about 80% 1RM. Squats are your friend. They work a lot of stuff all at once.
30 minutes elliptical. Helps work the acid out of your muscles post lifting.

Make sure you get enough protien. You won't recover for crap without enough protien.
For the weight training, would that be a daily thing, or every other day? I don't know much about weight training, but I've heard that cardio can be done daily while weight training should be done every other day instead.
And I'm definitely getting plenty of protein. My professor (a retired Navy F-8/A-4 pilot) recommended a low-carb diet for the short-term to get the weight off, and naturally I'm hesitant to eat foods high in fat, so the only thing left is protein. Now I'm eating lots of turkey wraps, beef jerky, and the like.

MasterBates

Fat is not the enemy.. Excess calories become fat, not fat itself. Fat is OK as long as calories stay in check. A lot of "low fat" foods are way worse for you due to the other shit in them.

This was my basic routine. Assume the cardio is there.

Monday
Calf Raises
Squats (vary it weekly with box, low weight but explosive, etc). If you are not going ATG you are WRONG and cheating yourself. Better to squat 95 pounds correct, than 155 with shit form. Perfect form, weight and speed will come.
Reverse Hyperextensions. I have a dicked up back, and they seem to help.
Leg Press

Tuesday
Bench Press
Tricep Pulldowns
Front raises
Side raises
Preacher Curls (again, be strict with less weight) or hammer curls
Shrugs

Wednesday
Deadlift (regular, Sumo, Rack Pulls in a rotation)
Ab workout on a nautilus machine
Lunges with weights in hands
Lat pulldowns

Thursday (light day)
Mock PRT, but done to failure vice two minutes.
Pullups
Dips/Weighted Dips

Friday (go for PR, or heavy3 rep sets)
Squat
Deadlift
Bench

Sat/Sun off.

fedman28

Hi guys I thought this looked like a good pace to get some advice and perspectives on my situation.

4 years Prior Navy Enlisted
6 years Army Reserves
ASTB: 49 5/5/4
GPA: 3.67 Major Criminal Justice
Strong LOR's

I'm applying for the what I thought was Jan board but you guys are saying December now for AMDO, SWO-IW, SWO-IP, IW, Intel. It's seems as if I'm falling a little short when it comes to being competitive from what I have been reading on this thread. What do you think the chances are that I get picked up for one of those?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Hi guys I thought this looked like a good pace to get some advice and perspectives on my situation.

I'm applying for the what I thought was Jan board but you guys are saying December now for AMDO, SWO-IW, SWO-IP, IW, Intel. It's seems as if I'm falling a little short when it comes to being competitive from what I have been reading on this thread. What do you think the chances are that I get picked up for one of those?
Hey fedman28, welcome to AW. Sorry to say I don't know much about those designators, so someone else on here will be better able to speak to your competitiveness in those areas. I thought I'd at least mention to you what NavyOffRec said earlier on this thread about Intel:
NavyOffRec said:
Intel is closed, there will be no selections, might not be for a few years

exNavyOffRec

4 years Prior Navy Enlisted
6 years Army Reserves
ASTB: 49 5/5/4
GPA: 3.67 Major Criminal Justice
Strong LOR's

The only board added for Dec was Pilot/NFO/SWO, the others that were supposed to be in Jan have been pushed, and that is for designators that need people, right now AMDO is closed FY13 as is Intel and IW, SWO IP and SWO IW need one more each to close out FY13.

IW and Intel are pushing people selected for FY12 into FY14 now so it isn't expected that they are going to pick anyone for a while unless all those people waiting change their minds.

SWO IP, SWO IW and IW look specifically for tech degrees or at the very least one year of calculus and calculus based physics, I have seen one person selected that didn't have a tech degree and he had taken a full year of AP calc and physics in HS and had a 3.9 college GPA

AMDO recently has only picked up those who are currently on AD with aviation maintenance experience.