• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

fedman28

Wow that's not looking to good for me then, so I guess my next question would be what would make my packet more competitive for the next time around since it doesn't look like I'm going to get picked up this time around ?

cardeea

Hi guys I thought this looked like a good pace to get some advice and perspectives on my situation.

4 years Prior Navy Enlisted
6 years Army Reserves
ASTB: 49 5/5/4
GPA: 3.67 Major Criminal Justice
Strong LOR's

I'm applying for the what I thought was Jan board but you guys are saying December now for AMDO, SWO-IW, SWO-IP, IW, Intel. It's seems as if I'm falling a little short when it comes to being competitive from what I have been reading on this thread. What do you think the chances are that I get picked up for one of those?

IMHO there is one for sure way not to get picked up that is by not applying! The 60/40 split tech degree can not account for leadership experience. Now if one has a undergrad tech degree, masters, leadership experience, 40+ OAR, and can get a TS clearance will be a shoe in. There maybe some out there with those creds, but not many. I myself is one but I'm mid 30s. so time is a factory for active duty, but reserve non issue which is a good option for me as well. Good Luck

cardeea

Also the sequence of event for board reviews are in this order per my "OR (officer recuiter)" Masters', Leadership, Top Secret eligble, LOR, and OAR this is IDC. Correct me if my post is wrong but OAR is last on the list if GPA is above 3.0, so a 40 can get you over the hump for IDC.

exNavyOffRec

Also the sequence of event for board reviews are in this order per my "OR (officer recuiter)" Masters', Leadership, Top Secret eligble, LOR, and OAR this is IDC. Correct me if my post is wrong but OAR is last on the list if GPA is above 3.0, so a 40 can get you over the hump for IDC.

Each board can set their own requirements, but when it comes to certain designators like IW and IP tech degree is high on the list, and not a single person I have had picked up in any IDC designator had a masters, or anyone at my NRD, but they had tech degrees (less one) and high GPA's. The others we have seen picked up were current drilling reservist in an Intel field.

The board doesn't see if you have any type of clearance, it isn't in the documents submitted to the board, and if you or your recruiter mention it, it carries no weight because it isn't confirmed.

the 60/40 split for Intel cannot account for previous experience, but that is what they have set, and the majority of applications in the past for Intel were non tech, so whenever they do pick Intel again those with tech degrees will have a good shot, however given the backlog the next board looks like will only be picking SWO IP and SWO IW and just a few.

exNavyOffRec

It appears after confusing everyone that NRC is going to go with this schedule http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/NOTICES/1131 FY13 BOARDSKED By Community - Encl 4.pdf and this is all TBD, for instance they have already said Supply board is most likely going to get cancelled, if the schedule says Pilot/NFO/SWO they may pick people for each or they may only pick for one, say Pilot, if it says IDC they may pick pick for only only one designator or two, this is only an "IF NEEDED" schedule.

If any recruiter is saying because it is on the schedule it is happening he or she needs to read the emails from the director of OCS accessions.

fedman28

NavyOffRec,

So what is your suggestions on what I should apply for and the chances ill have on the boards? If I don't get pick up the fist time what could I do to get higher on the list the second time around? I'm in one of those crappy situations that doesn't allow me to apply for anything and I am running out of time on the ones I do qualify for. I was prior Navy and got out under reduc and ever since I was in the navy all I wanted to do was be an officer. I am just now finishing my degree and I don't have time for a re-do on my degree selection or I would in a heart beat.

Thanks

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

So what is your suggestions on what I should apply for and the chances ill have on the boards? If I don't get pick up the fist time what could I do to get higher on the list the second time around? I'm in one of those crappy situations that doesn't allow me to apply for anything and I am running out of time on the ones I do qualify for. I was prior Navy and got out under reduc and ever since I was in the navy all I wanted to do was be an officer. I am just now finishing my degree and I don't have time for a re-do on my degree selection or I would in a heart beat.

Thanks

I can't tell you how many people I dealt with in your same situation, I would just submit them in the hopes something would happen and they would get picked up, but none were.

I guess submit and see what happens, it is possible that on some you could be pro "X" for not meeting requirements but sometimes they just have too many applications to review to look that close so they just push them thru.

I don't know how they are going to work it when a person meets 2 of the 3 "quality" points, but once you go to one board there is no preference the second time around, and now a recruiter only gets credit (if they are quality) the first time, so really there is no incentive for a recruiter to put forth much effort into a person turned down once already.

john kalafatis

pro-rec IW
IW and Intel are pushing people selected for FY12 into FY14 now so it isn't expected that they are going to pick anyone for a while unless all those people waiting change their minds.

Chief,

Everyday, someone at work asks me when I'll get orders to OCS. Is there anyway I can get the above information (or something like it) from an official source? My CCC doesn't have access like you. My XO, who transferred in from Millington, contacted people he knows, but doesn't have any new info either.

I ask because my COC is apprehensive about assigning me any kind of long-term responsibility as I could "theoretically" be gone in a matter of weeks.

exNavyOffRec

Chief,

Everyday, someone at work asks me when I'll get orders to OCS. Is there anyway I can get the above information (or something like it) from an official source? My CCC doesn't have access like you. My XO, who transferred in from Millington, contacted people he knows, but doesn't have any new info either.

I ask because my COC is apprehensive about assigning me any kind of long-term responsibility as I could "theoretically" be gone in a matter of weeks.

I no longer have access to CIRIMS, but some good friends of mine do, however that won't do you any good. The goals were just adjusted so they have to figure out OCS dates and such now that they can send IW's to OCS, to be honest you could be going to OCS anytime from say Jan to June.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Here's the post from the other thread for everyone's convenience. Loving those pilot/NFO numbers:
NavyOffRec said:
SWO goal of 151, 150 identified
Surface ED goal of 3, 6 identified CLOSED FY13
Surface IP goal of 6, 4 identified
Surface Oceano goal of 5, 4 identified
Surface IW goal of 5, 4 identified
NFO goal of 119, 40 identified
Pilot goal of 309, 207 identified
EDO(SEGA) goal of 0, CLOSED FY13
AMDO goal of 7, 3 identified
IP goal of 0, 1 identified CLOSED FY13
IW goal of 14, 13 identified (this clears the backlog)
Intel goal of 18, 18 identified CLOSED FY13 (this clears the backlog)
PAO goal of 1, 0 identified only taking apps from those on AD
Oceano goal of 2, 1 identified
Cyberwarfare goal of 3, 2 identified
Supply goal of 77, 70 identified
CEC goal of 58, 52 identified

fedman28

Does anyone know if I'm eligible for supply? My recruiter says I'm not but I read the reg and the age cutoff is 29 I'm 31 but it also says waiverable up to age 35 but only 2 years can be waived how does that work if only 2 years can be waived why is the max age 35 on the reg?

cardeea

The waiver paperwork will have to be done by the OR, but there has to be a very strong reason for them to accept the waiver like business degree, MBA/post education, and prior AD within supply corps etc. I thought you was interested in IDC? Checkout requirment for all programs http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/ProgramAuthorizations.htm.
Also checkout what Navyoffrec stated in this link http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/ocs-status-fy-13.39176/
There are open slots for IDC programs FY14.