• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

WilliamC

SNA API Current
I've been keeping up with this site for a long while, and have been looking forward to the day I would introduce myself to you all. I took the ASTB yesterday and I got 6/7/6 55, and was disappointed when I saw it and immediately thought I would have to re-take it in a month and miss the upcoming board, but my OR said I should NOT retake it. He said it was good enough to get me a small chance at pilot, and a good shot at NFO. INTEL is my third choice. I'm graduating in December from the University of New Mexico with a BA in Political Science. GPA is 3.1.

I am currently working to get LORs together, an interview with a retired USMC Colonel, and compiling a couple medical records before I go to MEPS.

I'm hoping to keep up with some of the people that are also applying to this board, and also get some info about the board itself. All my recruiter told me was it was meeting in January, and I had to have my application complete by November. So needless to say I'm rushing and need some help!!

Looking forward to hearing from some fellow applicants to this board!!

-Will

exNavyOffRec

The board is in December, the Jan 2013 one was moved/postponed/cancelled whatever you want to call it via an email from NRC, that is why he said get the application done by November.

Due to numbers of what they pick each year you actually have a better shot at Pilot.

Intel is closed, there will be no selections, might not be for a few years, I suggest if you want to put another designator put SWO

Employer LOR's hold quite a bit of weight, the board has sent out feedback before that they don't care about active or retired officer interviews unless they have supervised you for work or school. They want someone that is going to write about what they have seen you day in and day out

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I've been keeping up with this site for a long while, and have been looking forward to the day I would introduce myself to you all. I took the ASTB yesterday and I got 6/7/6 55, and was disappointed when I saw it and immediately thought I would have to re-take it in a month and miss the upcoming board, but my OR said I should NOT retake it. He said it was good enough to get me a small chance at pilot, and a good shot at NFO. INTEL is my third choice. I'm graduating in December from the University of New Mexico with a BA in Political Science. GPA is 3.1.

I am currently working to get LORs together, an interview with a retired USMC Colonel, and compiling a couple medical records before I go to MEPS.

I'm hoping to keep up with some of the people that are also applying to this board, and also get some info about the board itself. All my recruiter told me was it was meeting in January, and I had to have my application complete by November. So needless to say I'm rushing and need some help!!

-Will

Hey William,

I just submitted my package for SNA/SWO/NFO yesterday (yeah, in that order, is that a first? :p). When I took the ASTB, I scored a 6/7/7/55. My recruiter similarly told me not to retake it. He said to focus on getting good LORs—I submitted two from academic advisers whom I've learned under and worked with closely, and also two from directors who have seen my work performance in the last four years. I suppose I won't be able to tell you how my OCS package fared against the rest until I found out some months down the line, but I'm feeling oddly optimistic about it.

exNavyOffRec

I was pro-recd for SWO and SNA with a 666 59, dont sweat it!

It is rare for someone to be picked up for SNA with a 6, you are one of a few, and with NRC new requirements IF they define upper quandrant as 7,8,9 people with a 6 will no longer even go to board.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor

-Will

Hey Will, it looks like I'll be applying to the December board too. Here's my stats:

Designator: SNA
8/9/9/61
CGPA: 3.66 (hoping to bump it up to a 3.7 before I graduate in Dec.)
4 LOR's from professors, three of whom are retired military aviators (including an adversary pilot at Topgun)
Commercial license, instrument and multi-engine rating, 220 hours total time, about 25 hours multi-engine

My biggest concern right now is getting my weight down before going to MEPS; NavyOffRec mentioned in another thread that pilot applicants have to complete MEPS before submitting their application. Last I checked, I was about 220 lbs, and my BF% is around 25, so I've been on a low-carb diet on the recommendation of my professor. Hopefully I can beat the tape by the end of October.

Anyway, good luck with your application!

Kcamp

SNFO OCS Class 17Feb13
Hi William!

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm also curious about who's applying. I'm putting in a package for NFO. Scored 8/8/9 63 on the ASTB last month. I graduated in May from Xavier University (in Cincinnati) with a degree in biology and a cum. GPA of 3.63. I'm getting LORs from 3 previous employers, my undergraduate research advisor and the biology department head.
My recruiter told me that to be competitive I needed a 50 and 6's or 7's so I think you're clear. Also, he wants everything in by late October in order for him to have time to safely forward it on. I'm currently working on my motivational statement and SF86.

WilliamC

SNA API Current
Dang. Pat ryan and Kcamp you guys kicked the ASTB's butt! Good job! I just hope most applicants at this board are not as highly qualified as you guys to be perfectly honest, but I hope the best for everyone.

NavyOffRec, I have read your comments about the new NRC requirements and it has me nervous. I feel good about this board, and while i'm eligible for another couple years (barely though I'm 25 now), I'd rather be in ASAP. I will take your advise and focus more on personal and professional LORs. Thank you for that info. You have good gouge, sir.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Dang. Pat ryan and Kcamp you guys kicked the ASTB's butt! Good job! I just hope most applicants at this board are not as highly qualified as you guys to be perfectly honest, but I hope the best for everyone.

NavyOffRec, I have read your comments about the new NRC requirements and it has me nervous. I feel good about this board, and while i'm eligible for another couple years (barely though I'm 25 now), I'd rather be in ASAP. I will take your advise and focus more on personal and professional LORs. Thank you for that info. You have good gouge, sir.

I love seeing people with high ASTB scores get their Pro Recs on this board. Doesn't mean part of me doesn't want to lock them all in a shipping crate :) Good luck, and if the first board doesn't work out, let's retake those ASTBs and brag about our 8s and 9s the second time around ;)

cardeea

I went to MEPS in April this year and I weighed in at 226 at 74 inches 20% BF on tape and had a perfect MEPS chart (at 74" weight requirements is 211). Check the weigh and height charts.

WilliamC

SNA API Current
Also Salty Miner, that is good to hear. Did you have really high grades or average? Previous service? Flight experience?

And Asheldon, looks like we're in this one together. Good luck! It would be cool to see you guys in OCS a couple months from now

Also Salty Miner, that is good to hear. Did you have really high grades or average? Previous service? Flight experience?

Well, maybe my situation was unique. However, I had a mid 3 gpa, lots of great LORs, no previous experience flying or prior military service. Management job experience.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Dang. Pat ryan and Kcamp you guys kicked the ASTB's butt! Good job!
Thanks :D although part of it is due to the fact that my degree is in Aeronautical Science, so I've been basically preparing for the test for three years :rolleyes:

I hope this motivates you to lose that weight, but in over 3 years I never saw a person that had an 8 or 9 not picked up.
That's definitely encouraging, when I was looking at previous boards, I was wondering if my own application would stack up, mainly because I don't have any real leadership experiences or officer interviews or things like that, but at this point, my time would be better spent focusing on getting that weight off.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks :D although part of it is due to the fact that my degree is in Aeronautical Science, so I've been basically preparing for the test for three years :rolleyes:

That's definitely encouraging, when I was looking at previous boards, I was wondering if my own application would stack up, mainly because I don't have any real leadership experiences or officer interviews or things like that, but at this point, my time would be better spent focusing on getting that weight off.

I can't tell you the number of people I have had selected for Pilot that had no leadership experience, and the board has said officer interviews carry little if any weight, ASTB scores are number one.