• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

exNavyOffRec

6/7/6, 54

Apparently I studied with Barron's (bad idea according to the guy who administered the test) and got the dreaded form 4 of the test. Test admin says he thinks I won't be selected, recruiter disagreed because the rest of my package is good (3.9 GPA, master's degree). Going for SNA and NFO.

The biggest part of the package when a person is going for aviation is the exam, I would say 50/50.

USAF_WX2USN

Ten pounds over, so they gave me 40 days, until 11/29. I'll have no trouble dropping the ten pounds in half that time, but it'll still be too late to make the December board deadline. But that's not even my biggest concern anymore; the depth perception is much more concerning to me. I read in another post that I might be able to bring the test results from a civilian test to OCS and show them that if I fail the AFVT there.

Another consideration is that when I took the test at MEPS, I wasn't very well rested at all; I was flying into town the night before, and I missed my connection and got stranded in Atlanta for a few hours, etc. so I only got a half-hour sleep. It's possible I'd be able to do better given another chance, but I can't say for sure.

Did you fail the tape measurement to or do they not tape at MEPS?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
No, they take the tape measurements if you're overweight, and I'm 26%, so I didn't make that, either.

Who would I ask about the depth perception tests at OCS? I'll run it by my recruiter, but if he's not sure, who would have firsthand knowledge about that process? I'd hate to go to an eye doc who says my depth perception is perfect only to have to stare down the circles test again when I get to OCS.

exNavyOffRec

No, they take the tape measurements if you're overweight, and I'm 26%, so I didn't make that, either.

Who would I ask about the depth perception tests at OCS? I'll run it by my recruiter, but if he's not sure, who would have firsthand knowledge about that process? I'd hate to go to an eye doc who says my depth perception is perfect only to have to stare down the circles test again when I get to OCS.

What info about the test are you looking for?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Something along the lines of what BDFan said, if I fail the AFVT test at OCS, will they let me attempt one of the other depth perception tests, or would they just ask me to redesignate?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I don't know what other test they have available.
From the "All things vision related" thread:
http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...things-vision-related.8968/page-5#post-699865
Waiver Guide:
Depth Perception: Only stereopsis is tested. Must pass any one of the following three tests:
(1) AFVT: at least A – D with no misses.
(2) Stereo booklet (Titmus Fly or Randot): 40 arc second circles.
(3) Verhoeff: 8/8 corrent on the first trial or, if any are missed, 16/16 correct on the
combined second and third trials
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Spoke with my recruiter today. Looks like I won't be applying to this board after all :( it seems there's no way to get around the RBJ, so I guess I'll have to wait around for the July board. Also, he stated that I should get my eyes checked by a civilian doc, and they can take the results of that depth perception test to qualify me for pilot, so as long as I can lose another ten pounds in the next eight months or so, I should be in good shape for applying in July.
I'll keep checking in on this thread to see how you guys do with the application and the board selection, best of luck to you all :D

BDfan88

Spoke with my recruiter today. Looks like I won't be applying to this board after all :( it seems there's no way to get around the RBJ, so I guess I'll have to wait around for the July board. Also, he stated that I should get my eyes checked by a civilian doc, and they can take the results of that depth perception test to qualify me for pilot, so as long as I can lose another ten pounds in the next eight months or so, I should be in good shape for applying in July.
I'll keep checking in on this thread to see how you guys do with the application and the board selection, best of luck to you all :D
It wont take you that long to lose the weight. I dropped 25 lbs over this summer. Make sure you can run like 12-15 miles a week.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
It wont take you that long to lose the weight. I dropped 25 lbs over this summer. Make sure you can run like 12-15 miles a week.
Yeah I had no problems getting from 220 to 210 within a month, it shouldn't take very long to lose the next 10. I'm hoping to be closer to 180 by the time I have to go back to MEPS. And I'm running around 10 miles a week right now, so getting to 12, 15, or even 20 miles/week is similarly not that far away.

Grantspec

Pro-Rec SNA/NFO
I went through MEPS yesterday with no problems. I did, however, fail the depth perception test initially. I was sitting in the waiting room afterwards and I realized that the right eye shutter seemed to be closed when the administrator performed the depth perception test on me. Of course, your depth perception (stereo vision) only works if you can see out of both eyes. I asked another administrator if I could take it again because I had felt rushed and had been tested for depth perception before with no issues. Second time around I passed with a perfect score. So for those who have yet to take the depth perception MAKE SURE that both eye shutters are open.

I have two medically related questions I hope someone could help me out with. I've noticed a lot of post of people going to meps prior to applying is this a requirement? I asked my recruiter and he told me I go to meps after selection, I wonder is this true because I am in the Air Force reserve and medically qualified.

I have a sickle cell trait (not the disease) and wonder if this would hurt my chances of becoming a aviator. The trait has never affected me and I have no medical issues what so ever. I worry because the trait only affects you at high attitudes with less oxygen, I hold my PPL and obtained a 1st class physical with no problem. I cannot find much information on this subject other than it may affect my chances of flying combat aircraft such as fighters but not transport aircraft; I do not know how true that is. I could care less what aircraft I fly I just want to fly something and hope this trait does not hurt my chances all together, NavyOffRec maybe you know something about this or could point me in the right direction.

cardeea

Yeah I had no problems getting from 220 to 210 within a month, it shouldn't take very long to lose the next 10. I'm hoping to be closer to 180 by the time I have to go back to MEPS. And I'm running around 10 miles a week right now, so getting to 12, 15, or even 20 miles/week is similarly not that far away.

Sounds as if there/you have circumference challenges. I went through MEPS 16lbs over weight (74" and 227lbs) and had no issues. Focus more so on and in your core area and run 3 mile 3x a week and add a weight workout plan. That will increase your strenght and cut fat in all areas. You need to be under 25%BMI to clear MEPS. Good Luck

http://www.navycs.com/navyheightweightchart.html

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Sounds as if there/you have circumference challenges. I went through MEPS 16lbs over weight (74" and 227lbs) and had no issues. Focus more so on and in your core area and run 3 mile 3x a week and add a weight workout plan. That will increase your strenght and cut fat in all areas. You need to be under 25%BMI to clear MEPS. Good Luck

http://www.navycs.com/navyheightweightchart.html
Yeah the guy who measured me said as much, "Your belly's too big and your neck's too small." Definitely need to lay off the pizza :confused:
MB also recommended mixing cardio and weights, I just haven't been able to find time to get to the weight training yet. Hoping to add that in December, and then I'll be able to stick with it after I graduate for the six months leading up to the next board. I might also try to start Insanity at my school's gym for the next few months.

I have two medically related questions I hope someone could help me out with. I've noticed a lot of post of people going to meps prior to applying is this a requirement? I asked my recruiter and he told me I go to meps after selection, I wonder is this true because I am in the Air Force reserve and medically qualified.
I can't help you regarding the sickle cell, but I can tell you that a change was made recently to the application process that now requires all Pilot/NFO applicants to go through MEPS prior to applying, or else the board won't see your application. There's another designator that this rule applies to (off the top of my head I wanna say SWO, but unsure about that), but definitely for pilots and NFO's, MEPS is now a prerequisite.

Daspyp

24/M
Non-Prior
SNFO/SWO
7/7/6 61
B.S. in Aviation Technology from Metropolitan State University of Denver 3.35 GPA
5 good LOR's
PPL with 100 hrs