• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25May20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Guys, you are worrying about things that are wildly out of your control. You put forth your best selves in assembling the packet with your recruiter, now just let the process play out. Ask your recruiter when they recommend you reach out to them next and occupy your mind with something else. I know that’s difficult to do with everything going on, but trying to get inside NRC’s heads is just going to raise your blood pressure and keep you up at night.

exNavyOffRec

No real idea on how many spots they are going to fill. This board is for FY20/FY21 quotas and they haven't released the quotas for FY21 yet.

given the time from when a board starts and when the results are released it would be unrealistic to believe any of the spots would be for FY20 as with the other most recent boards it should take 4 weeks from meeting to names released you would basically need to be on a plane to OCS so the 2 week quarantine could be complete in order to start and graduate OCS as a FY20 selection, possible, but not probable.

FY21 quotas aren't released until Dec/Jan/Feb, up until that time they estimate based on last years quotas, most of the time it works out, it generally starts at 50% of last years hard quota that they estimate, then adjust a little bit until the hard quotas are released.

the fly guy tj

given the time from when a board starts and when the results are released it would be unrealistic to believe any of the spots would be for FY20 as with the other most recent boards it should take 4 weeks from meeting to names released you would basically need to be on a plane to OCS so the 2 week quarantine could be complete in order to start and graduate OCS as a FY20 selection, possible, but not probable.

FY21 quotas aren't released until Dec/Jan/Feb, up until that time they estimate based on last years quotas, most of the time it works out, it generally starts at 50% of last years hard quota that they estimate, then adjust a little bit until the hard quotas are released.
Are you sure? You'd have to be in quarantine in early September to graduate FY20. That gives you 2 and a half months in between names released and OCS.

exNavyOffRec

Are you sure? You'd have to be in quarantine in early September to graduate FY20. That gives you 2 and a half months in between names released and OCS.

yep, FY21 billets start OCS mid-July, 2 week quarantine would start very end of June/beginning of July so based on the most recent board timelines only a few days from notification to shipping.

This isn't even taking into account the reduced class sizes right now, that has caused people to be pushed into later classes so realistically it would be doubtful they have any FY20 spots to give.

BOMR822

Now I am slightly confused. My recruiter said that if accepted, I wouldn't ship out for months due to half sized classes due to covid. However, I have seen a few posts saying that we might ship out days after notice? Could you explain the process a little? Just a confused civvie. Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

????

it matters when you commission (graduate OCS) not when you ship

You are on the right path!

yes, it matters when you commission FY21 billets ship to OCS starting mid July. If there were FY20 billets they would ship before that, and the +14 days puts it at a point where FY20 is unrealistic.

tferguson

Hey apologies, I'm new to all of this, what is "FY21" and what does it mean when a quota is released? If you do get selected this board, what is the timeline from when you get selected to starting OCS?

Best of luck to everyone!

xeroseal87

Hey apologies, I'm new to all of this, what is "FY21" and what does it mean when a quota is released? If you do get selected this board, what is the timeline from when you get selected to starting OCS?

Fiscal year 21is what FY21. The navy has a certain number of quotas they want to fill each year. That number varies, so they put out a list with the number of quotas for each job. Thats how the board determines the number of applicants they can select.

xeroseal87

As for the timeline, there is no cookie cutter answer. You could ship out weeks after or it could be months. So really there is no good answer. Semper gumby is a term you will hear often. Just be flexible and go with the flow.