• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Ghost SWO

Contributor
If this is the last time you can take the ASTB AND your GPA is not good, would suggest you also raise your GPA before submitting or you would be in danger of getting DNR'd (i.e. prevented from ever applying again to this designation in the future). Also note that your latest test score is always used, even if it happens to be lower than previous attempts.
The problem is the fact that the GPA after a Bachelor's degree is almost fixed in stone and is very hard to change.

I.E. If he had a 2.0 GPA with 120 semester hours, and went on to get a M.S. degree with a 4.0, his GPA would adjust to a range between 2.46-2.62. This would also apply to any additional amount of hours beyond the 120 semester hour mark, whether that is pursuing an Associate's, second Bachelor's, or Master's. You will get to a point of diminishing returns.

Going for another 120 credit hours at a 4.0 would change a 2.0 into a 3.0 (720 quality hours divided by 240 semester hours), but that's a huge additional cost in time and money. There is no minimum GPA for SNA/SNFO right now and to do another four years with straight A's for one whole GPA point bump seems silly.
I got a 49 4/5/6 which still isn’t good enough. I hope to do well on the third try and get minimum of 7s. I have a bachelors degree in Biology from Penn State however my GPA is super terrible, so I really have to do well on my ASTB in order to try and get accepted into the SNA or SNFO program. I know you can only take the ASTB 3x, but does anyone know what happens if you don’t qualify? would you be able to change the program you’re applying to?
The fact that you've already been in to talk the OR and take the ASTB twice says to me that they like you and probably think you're competitive, or else they wouldn't waste their time with having you come back for a third and final test.

Since this is the last retake, take your time. If you feel like you're not ready, adjust the date. If you're too young to require an age waiver, time is on your side.

Currently, you're qualified, you meet the minimum OAR to apply for the board, and you also meet the minimums for SNA and NFO, but if you want to be a pilot, they may not even submit your kit with the 5. I've seen many people get selected with a 6 in their applied category. Once you hit the required OAR, OAR is not considered for the pilot board. The OAR score just makes it possible to submit your kit to the board assuming you have at least a 6 in PFAR and FOFAR. If you don't qualify, you look at other jobs that you do qualify for purely based on the OAR. Buy study guides, watch YouTube videos, and nail that third test when you're ready. Changing from SNA/NFO to a job you qualify for is as easy as the recruiter circling a different category/board on your kit, so that's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys just hopping on the thread here. This is my first board, I still have to retake the ASTB on Nov. 19 for the third time and final time. First one I did completely terrible but the second time I got a 49 4/5/6 which still isn’t good enough. I hope to do well on the third try and get minimum of 7s. I have a bachelors degree in Biology from Penn State however my GPA is super terrible, so I really have to do well on my ASTB in order to try and get accepted into the SNA or SNFO program. I know you can only take the ASTB 3x, but does anyone know what happens if you don’t qualify? would you be able to change the program you’re applying to? Fingers crossed that I do phenomenal on this one cause I have been studying and preparing as much as I can and best of luck to everyone here!

you best bet is to take time, study, do many practice test and get a good score as aviation is the most forgiving for GPA, others are not as forgiving.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Min AQR is 5 and min PFAR and FOFAR is 6 so that 4 he has for AQR is holding back from applying for the one designator.
Where can we find the most up to date minimums? There is a SECNAVINST 1532.1A from 27 Dec 2018 that is clearly old info.

GodSpeed1997

Where can we find the most up to date minimums? There is a SECNAVINST 1532.1A from 27 Dec 2018 that is clearly old info.

I do not have any specific links to put on here but my OR said the minimum requirement for SNA of SNFO is 5/6/6. The AQR is holding me back since I got a 4. My GPA is pretty much set in stone in that I already graduated and got my Bachelor's degree. I expressed my concerns about my low GPA to my OR and someone who is currently in flight school and they said that they rank GPAs differently based on how hard ones major is. My major was neuroscience so they said that they are little more lenient with my low GPA.

I have been studying pretty much everyday with the exceptions of weekends and doing practice exams for all of the categories (math, mechanics, ANIT). Don't know if I should try to adjust my test date because I want to submit my application for the Dec boards. However do you guys have any idea when the next boards will be?

BDavis11

Contributor
I do not have any specific links to put on here but my OR said the minimum requirement for SNA of SNFO is 5/6/6. The AQR is holding me back since I got a 4. My GPA is pretty much set in stone in that I already graduated and got my Bachelor's degree. I expressed my concerns about my low GPA to my OR and someone who is currently in flight school and they said that they rank GPAs differently based on how hard ones major is. My major was neuroscience so they said that they are little more lenient with my low GPA.

I have been studying pretty much everyday with the exceptions of weekends and doing practice exams for all of the categories (math, mechanics, ANIT). Don't know if I should try to adjust my test date because I want to submit my application for the Dec boards. However do you guys have any idea when the next boards will be?
it will most likely be feb deadline for a march board

angeblas

I haven't heard back from my recruiter in over 5 weeks, despite the fact that I try to contact him once a week. I really only need my MEPS paperwork (from almost 2 years ago) transferred and I'll be done with my package. I also was wanting to schedule a retest since my ASTB scores are just the minimums. Has anyone ever been ghosted by their recruiter before? Any advice on what I should do moving forward?

Looks like I might miss this board and shoot for the March board instead.

exNavyOffRec

I haven't heard back from my recruiter in over 5 weeks, despite the fact that I try to contact him once a week. I really only need my MEPS paperwork (from almost 2 years ago) transferred and I'll be done with my package. I also was wanting to schedule a retest since my ASTB scores are just the minimums. Has anyone ever been ghosted by their recruiter before? Any advice on what I should do moving forward?

Looks like I might miss this board and shoot for the March board instead.

how close to 2 years since MEPS is it

Revitalized

It expires/hits 2 years in mid-January.
I know its frustrating, but keep trying to contact your recruiter. Mine expired back in September, right before the application deadline. I've been trying to get to MEPS again since the end of August right after I took the ASTB. A lot of it was bad timing, but thankfully my recruiter was responsive whenever I reached out. I was always the one who initiated communication, and yesterday I finally got some good news with a date for MEPS the week after next. I don't know how far you are from the recruiting office, but I would try going in person if you can't contact them via phone/text/email. Just keep pressing!

tinah.winah

Hi everyone! Hope everyone the best of luck!

Applying for SNA only
OAR: 51
ASTB: 6/6/7
GPA: 3.0
Degree: Hospitality Management
LOR: AF Officer Vet, Boss of 10+ years, Department Head of College
Interview: O-5 Pilot and O-4 Pilot
Currently working on my PPL

angeblas

I know its frustrating, but keep trying to contact your recruiter. Mine expired back in September, right before the application deadline. I've been trying to get to MEPS again since the end of August right after I took the ASTB. A lot of it was bad timing, but thankfully my recruiter was responsive whenever I reached out. I was always the one who initiated communication, and yesterday I finally got some good news with a date for MEPS the week after next. I don't know how far you are from the recruiting office, but I would try going in person if you can't contact them via phone/text/email. Just keep pressing!

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping I wouldn't have to go to MEPS again but it's looking like I'll have to. If I still can't get a hold of him by next week, I'm definitely making the 1-hour drive to my recruiter's office. Hopefully, that'll show him that I'm really serious about this.