• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

BDavis11

Contributor
Do we have a google spreadsheet for this board date yet?

Marsh

I see you're from Jacksonville BDavis11. I have a MEPS appointment there next week and I haven't heard too many great stories lol. Got any input? I played football for years and never had any injuries too major, but I'm hoping they don't find something wrong with me that I have more than likely ignored doctor visits for.

BDavis11

Contributor
I see you're from Jacksonville BDavis11. I have a MEPS appointment there next week and I haven't heard too many great stories lol. Got any input? I played football for years and never had any injuries too major, but I'm hoping they don't find something wrong with me that I have more than likely ignored doctor visits for.
I'm currently stationed here. I wish I had some insight to give as far as meps goes. As long as your eyes and hearing is good and you haven't had any major injuries/surgeries, I think you should be fine. I am pretty sure your OR should have already screened you for most of that.

Mike74

Retaking the ASTB on Tuesday. What are y'alls thoughts on the time allotted for the test? Do you attempt to get through every question or do you spend time on what you are offered to ensure accuracy?

On my first shot at the ASTB, I remember being SO tense.. I was nervous I wouldn't do well.. and, well, I did terrible. I remember getting what seemed like just half way through the reading AND mechanical sections before realizing I had just 30 seconds left on the clock. At that point I just begin clicking through the questions selecting random answers, I was still answering questions when the time ran out for each of the two mentioned sections.

The math portion however, I feel as if I did well but I ended with 6 minutes remaining and must have only answered 15-20 questions. From what I understand, the math section will kick you out early if you aren't doing so hot..? The questions were semi-difficult, definitely no logs. My AQR was a 5.. can anyone confirm what exactly makes up the AQR score?

Mouselovr

Contributor
Retaking the ASTB on Tuesday. What are y'alls thoughts on the time allotted for the test? Do you attempt to get through every question or do you spend time on what you are offered to ensure accuracy?

On my first shot at the ASTB, I remember being SO tense.. I was nervous I wouldn't do well.. and, well, I did terrible. I remember getting what seemed like just half way through the reading AND mechanical sections before realizing I had just 30 seconds left on the clock. At that point I just begin clicking through the questions selecting random answers, I was still answering questions when the time ran out for each of the two mentioned sections.

The math portion however, I feel as if I did well but I ended with 6 minutes remaining and must have only answered 15-20 questions. From what I understand, the math section will kick you out early if you aren't doing so hot..? The questions were semi-difficult, definitely no logs. My AQR was a 5.. can anyone confirm what exactly makes up the AQR score?

I was kicked early regardless if I felt like I was rocking it or completely blowing it. Math section was def my worst section so I kept clicking through stuff. For ANTI, you either know it or you dont. Reading and mech I didnt have a single problem I couldnt think through. I don't believe anyone knows for sure, but based on things I've seen, AQR is a weighted combo your indi OAR scores and ANTI sections. Your math is equated into AQR, FOFAR and PFAR.

I think I could have done so much better with a second attempt especially on the simulations now that I actually understood what I was supposed to do haha. Best of luck!!!

Revitalized

A while ago, I ran across this after digging through some threads on here. This is the best I've seen it explained.
Found this on the interwebs and figured I'd post it for people trying to improve their scores.

Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Info and Spatial Apperception Tests.

Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three subtests, Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

So for SNA/SNFO hopefuls, especially focus on the Math, Aviation History, and UAV sections.

http://www.usnavy.vt.edu/documents/astboverview.pdf
Unfortunately for me, I found this after I took the ASTB. Pretty sure that Aviation & Nautical Information is what killed my PFAR, as that was the section I felt least confident. Oh well, at least I know what to study if I need to retake. Hope this helps.

BDavis11

Contributor
A while ago, I ran across this after digging through some threads on here. This is the best I've seen it explained.

Unfortunately for me, I found this after I took the ASTB. Pretty sure that Aviation & Nautical Information is what killed my PFAR, as that was the section I felt least confident. Oh well, at least I know what to study if I need to retake. Hope this helps.
For me it was most likely the math.

Coffee & JP8

Hey everyone! Ive been trying to submit the package since the August board but keep hitting paperwork snags and this last board, I found out I needed a conditional release from my current branch too late in order to get the package in on time (I was requesting a shipping date after my end of enlistment this year so my recruiter and I didnt think we needed a conditional release). I finally received my conditional release this morning so I should be all set for this board. Good Luck all! Ill add this to the spreadsheet after I submit this post.

OAR: 55
ASTB: 7/8/7
GPA: 3.63
Degree: B.S. Aeronautics w/ Management minor (Embry-Riddle)
Prior Service: 9 years E-5
SNA/SNFO Applicant

Last edited:

MattPatt

Hello everyone, I just heard from my OR that all Pilot boards are closed until further notice. Does anyone have more information?

Revitalized

I'm pretty sure that would have been front page news on this forum. You might be confusing this with the rumors of board dates shifting around in the USAF.?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Hello everyone, I just heard from my OR that all Pilot boards are closed until further notice. Does anyone have more information?
I'm no expert on Navy news and where to get it, but I'd imagine this linked website would give something regarding that news, I don't see anything. Unless it's circulating somewhere else, I don't know. I hope your recruiter isn't pulling your leg because it's not a pilot board, it's an aviation board that reviews both SNA and SNFO's. Unless you're using "pilot" synonymously with "aviation" board?

MattPatt

I'm no expert on Navy news and where to get it, but I'd imagine this linked website would give something regarding that news, I don't see anything. Unless it's circulating somewhere else, I don't know. I hope your recruiter isn't pulling your leg because it's not a pilot board, it's an aviation board that reviews both SNA and SNFO's. Unless you're using "pilot" synonymously with "aviation" board?

According to my OR, SWO and SNA slots are currently on hold as of today due to backlog in OCS from Covid.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
According to my OR, SWO and SNA slots are currently on hold as of today due to backlog in OCS from Covid.
To be fair that could be an entirely different topic.

Is your OR saying they're closing pilot boards,

Or are they saying they're not sending SNA or SWO selectees to OCS because of a COVID backlog?

Or both? I guess the word "slots" is the key issue and what it refers to.

We've heard on a different forum that the OCS dates and subsequent wait times were starting to shorten because of a decrease in backlog...

S_Payne32

Contributor
Hey everyone! Ive been trying to submit the package since the August board but keep hitting paperwork snags and this last board, I found out I needed a conditional release from my current branch too late in order to get the package in on time (I was requesting a shipping date after my end of enlistment this year so my recruiter and I didnt think we needed a conditional release). I finally received my conditional release this morning so I should be all set for this board. Good Luck all! Ill add this to the spreadsheet after I submit this post.

OAR: 55
ASTB: 7/8/7
GPA: 3.63
Degree: B.S. Aeronautics w/ Management minor (Embry-Riddle)
Prior Service: 9 years E-5
SNA/SNFO Applicant

Curious to know what branch you are coming from. I’m A/D USCG and getting a conditional release has been a pain!! I’ve completed everything else apart from that. Good luck to you.