• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

HeartofTexas

Contributor
Just for fun, for the people applying just for sna or snfo, what made you want to apply for one and not the other or both? for me, I would just be happy to be an officer in the plane.

I work with both Pilots and FOs on my current platform. Pilots fly the aircraft, make sure the aircraft itself is good to go, ensure safety of crew, deal with maintenance control. FOs are like flying Intel Officers. They work in the back, mostly focused on using the aircraft as a tool to get their job done (i.e. sending messages, monitoring certain areas, communications, etc..) Both are obviously important and both get to fly, but Pilots are more hands-on with the aircraft itself whereas FOs simply use the aircraft to do a job that could theoretically be done on the ground or in a submarine.
My current rate is essentially an enlisted version of an NFO (minus the pay and full brunt of responsibility if things go south). For me personally, I love actually flying and being more involved with the aircraft (maintenance, checking fluid levels, etc...) which is why I'm applying for Pilot. Plus, there's more platforms that are available to Pilots than NFOs. Of course, NFOs also have different unique opportunities open to them because of the nature of their job.

BDavis11

Contributor
I work with both Pilots and FOs on my current platform. Pilots fly the aircraft, make sure the aircraft itself is good to go, ensure safety of crew, deal with maintenance control. FOs are like flying Intel Officers. They work in the back, mostly focused on using the aircraft as a tool to get their job done (i.e. sending messages, monitoring certain areas, communications, etc..) Both are obviously important and both get to fly, but Pilots are more hands-on with the aircraft itself whereas FOs simply use the aircraft to do a job that could theoretically be done on the ground or in a submarine.
My current rate is essentially an enlisted version of an NFO (minus the pay and full brunt of responsibility if things go south). For me personally, I love actually flying and being more involved with the aircraft (maintenance, checking fluid levels, etc...) which is why I'm applying for Pilot. Plus, there's more platforms that are available to Pilots than NFOs. Of course, NFOs also have different unique opportunities open to them because of the nature of their job.
yea my current rate i repair the engines so i would like to fly the engines i repaired all these years i have been in

HeartofTexas

Contributor
yea my current rate i repair the engines so i would like to fly the engines i repaired all these years i have been in

Definitely understand that. Have you been able to go fly on the bird? Sometimes we do "morale" flights for our maintainers (had one guy reenlist in the air for a local RT).

HeartofTexas

Contributor
Does anyone know if we need to have our college transcripts "verified"? Question more for prior Es, but I could've sworn I read something somewhere that stated that all college transcripts had to be sealed and then opened and verified by an Admin Officer. I've double checked the OPNAVINST 1420.1B and a few other documents but can't find that specific wording...

Revitalized

I'm not prior E, but yes I had to send official transcripts directly from my school to my recruiter. My recruiter specifically said not to address them to myself and deliver then hand them over in person. I would assume the process is relatively the same for you. I guess you would just have to know exactly who to send them to.

BDavis11

Contributor
Does anyone know if we need to have our college transcripts "verified"? Question more for prior Es, but I could've sworn I read something somewhere that stated that all college transcripts had to be sealed and then opened and verified by an Admin Officer. I've double checked the OPNAVINST 1420.1B and a few other documents but can't find that specific wording...
I just ordered mine and had them sent to me. I believe I saw that same thing and that the wording was along the lines of the navy college verifying them or the ESO i think. Not sure but i do need to find out the same thing as well.

Marsh

Do you guys have about a time frame it took for you to get medical results back? I'm trying to make DEC 11 deadline, but am not very hopeful since I don't have MEPS scheduled yet.

BDavis11

Contributor
I just found out on another post that you can take them to your admin department. Anyone that has the "certified to be true" stamp"

BDavis11

Contributor
Do you guys have about a time frame it took for you to get medical results back? I'm trying to make DEC 11 deadline, but am not very hopeful since I don't have MEPS scheduled yet.
Your meps process will be different than mine. However I have been waiting on my results for about two weeks now.

ajreno952

In the same boat. Still waiting for them to approve my lasik documents because something wasn’t worded correctly. I’m trying to make this board. They were pretty quick to respond to the initial submission so I’m hopeful.

GymJer020

Applied for STA-21 the past two years, but now I have my degree and applying the first time for OCS this board.

Currently active duty E-6, AD1
Applying: SNA (1st) SNFO (2nd)
ASTB: 47 6/9/7
GPA: 3.4
Degree: BS Aeronautics / Minor in Management
CO recommendation is by a CAPT, Interviews TBD
3 LOR's: 2 Aviators - 1 CAPT/1 CDR, 1 NFO - LCDR

Best of luck everyone!

Question... Who are you all addressing your LOR's to? "To: President, Officer Programs FY21 Selection Board" ???

GodSpeed1997

Hey guys just hopping on the thread here. This is my first board, I still have to retake the ASTB on Nov. 19 for the third time and final time. First one I did completely terrible but the second time I got a 49 4/5/6 which still isn’t good enough. I hope to do well on the third try and get minimum of 7s. I have a bachelors degree in Biology from Penn State however my GPA is super terrible, so I really have to do well on my ASTB in order to try and get accepted into the SNA or SNFO program. I know you can only take the ASTB 3x, but does anyone know what happens if you don’t qualify? would you be able to change the program you’re applying to? Fingers crossed that I do phenomenal on this one cause I have been studying and preparing as much as I can and best of luck to everyone here!

NevarYalnal

Hey guys just hopping on the thread here. This is my first board, I still have to retake the ASTB on Nov. 19 for the third time and final time. First one I did completely terrible but the second time I got a 49 4/5/6 which still isn’t good enough. I hope to do well on the third try and get minimum of 7s. I have a bachelors degree in Biology from Penn State however my GPA is super terrible, so I really have to do well on my ASTB in order to try and get accepted into the SNA or SNFO program. I know you can only take the ASTB 3x, but does anyone know what happens if you don’t qualify? would you be able to change the program you’re applying to? Fingers crossed that I do phenomenal on this one cause I have been studying and preparing as much as I can and best of luck to everyone here!

If this is the last time you can take the ASTB AND your GPA is not good, would suggest you also raise your GPA before submitting or you would be in danger of getting DNR'd (i.e. prevented from ever applying again to this designation in the future). Also note that your latest test score is always used, even if it happens to be lower than previous attempts.