• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Metromedic

Contributor
Yeah I saw thinking the same about the AT list. I do a lot of thinking about this a well.......... am I in, should I start studying bravo? When do I inform work? All this questions will be answered soon.....
Just make sure you don't resign from work. Go on military leave instead.

villo0692

I was told that whatever job you're in cannot fire you for going on into the military, and that they should hold your position for 5 years, since you might get hurt during training and what not.....not really sure how it goes, anyone can weigh in on this?

Metromedic

Contributor
I was told that whatever job you're in cannot fire you for going on into the military, and that they should hold your position for 5 years, since you might get hurt during training and what not.....not really sure how it goes, anyone can weigh in on this?
When I was in the Army, I made the dumb decision to resign instead of taking military leave. During my time in basic, they naturally filled my position. When I got sick, and subsequently medically discharged, I was basically up a creek without a paddle when I got home. The leave act does require employers to hold your position for a maximum of five years with all naturally earned pay and time.

villo0692

When I was in the Army, I made the dumb decision to resign instead of taking military leave. During my time in basic, they naturally filled my position. When I got sick, and subsequently medically discharged, I was basically up a creek without a paddle when I got home. The leave act does require employers to hold your position for a maximum of five years with all naturally earned pay and time.
I assume one would need to show orders to one's employer for this, right?

PontusPilot

Contributor
Just make sure you don't resign from work. Go on military leave instead.
Yeah I work at the Post office currently, and from reading around it looks like they will let me be on military leave indefinitely. I just have to inform them I want my job back within 90 days of leaving military if I want me job back. The crazy thing if I read right is that I can buy my time back for retirement purposes, so say if I do 20 years and come back to PO and buy back 12 (been at PO for 8) I can get retirement pay from post office and military.... then go on to whatever other job I would like ??

Metromedic

Contributor
Yeah I work at the Post office currently, and from reading around it looks like they will let me be on military leave indefinitely. I just have to inform them I want my job back within 90 days of leaving military if I want me job back. The crazy thing if I read right is that I can buy my time back for retirement purposes, so say if I do 20 years and come back to PO and buy back 12 (been at PO for 8) I can get retirement pay from post office and military.... then go on to whatever other job I would like ??
That is far beyond me. Governmental jobs are a little different. USERRA will give you 5 years, that’s all I know ?

PontusPilot

Contributor
That is far beyond me. Governmental jobs are a little different. USERRA will give you 5 years, that’s all I know ?
Well I appreciate the info tho. I hope it’s the way I described because that part two of my master plan. Part one is getting picked up by the Navy!

villo0692

I had an interview about two months ago for a federal job in DC, my interviewer was a Navy supply officer in the reserves, he told me I could get double retirement by doing that, especially since I had 5 years of service already under my belt. that is something for any of us to think about in case we get picked up and after our initial active obligation (measly 8 years after we get winged lol ) we could do reserves and get some federal job in ....idk CIA, NSA, NRO, DIA, FBI....you name it.....or even in the private sector (eeeehh).....lots of retired officers that work here come in straight up directing shit.....the last Sec Def was I think in the army for a hot minute and when he got out he came to my company as the Vice President of International Relations.....or something like that....

PontusPilot

Contributor
I had an interview about two months ago for a federal job in DC, my interviewer was a Navy supply officer in the reserves, he told me I could get double retirement by doing that, especially since I had 5 years of service already under my belt. that is something for any of us to think about in case we get picked up and after our initial active obligation (measly 8 years after we get winged lol ) we could do reserves and get some federal job in ....idk CIA, NSA, NRO, DIA, FBI....you name it.....or even in the private sector (eeeehh).....lots of retired officers that work here come in straight up directing shit.....the last Sec Def was I think in the army for a hot minute and when he got out he came to my company as the Vice President of International Relations.....or something like that....
Now that’s what I am wanting to do!