• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

08' Pensacola Report Dates?

whalepelt

Apparently so. I was just told that my commissioning docs were not in yet (note that I'm SUPPOSED commission in 2 days) and that whenever it does show up, it will have 1170 on it.

But hey, I have a 3rd hand over-the-phone promise that when I talk to the Admiral he'll personally see that I'm redesignated SNA if tell him I don't want nuke.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
So, How do I get one of these "third hand over-the-phone" promises that I won't get drafted into the dark side?:icon_smil Also, what does your unit have you doing until you go to the interview?

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Yea, I'm headed down on the 22nd, are they commissioning you as an 1170 too?

There are two of us from my school in the same situation as you are. We were both told not to even consider studying or thinking about an interview until after commissioning (May 10th as well). Neither of us went on the "all expenses paid trip" either. As a matter of fact, the Friday before all of this came down we were told that our names had been officially released from "the list" and that I had been added to the "which month do you want API" list.......

I believe there are only about 15 of us left on this "list" and they (my command) keep telling us that the May 22nd interviews are "in-case-we-have-to-send-you" slots, not 100%..... but, 99.999999999% is not 100%, right?

My favorite part was when I had to explain everything to my wife..... that was pretty hard

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
I didn't even know there was any studying for the interview, in fact if there is I won't do it anyways... all the more likely I'll blow the interview and they'll reject me. My command is pretty much telling us that we're going on these interviews no matter what, we don't have a choice. But if this is true what you say, what would cause 'the list' to be dropped? Would some random people volunteer for subs? To be honest I'm sort of worried about them telling us we don't have a choice and drafting us. I guess then they couldn't be considered an 'all volunteer' community if they did that. Do they really want people in charge of a nuclear reactor who really don't want to be there? Another question, does anyone know what could happen if you fail out of nuke school... can you switch to aviation?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I didn't even know there was any studying for the interview, in fact if there is I won't do it anyways... all the more likely I'll blow the interview and they'll reject me. My command is pretty much telling us that we're going on these interviews no matter what, we don't have a choice. But if this is true what you say, what would cause 'the list' to be dropped? Would some random people volunteer for subs? To be honest I'm sort of worried about them telling us we don't have a choice and drafting us. I guess then they couldn't be considered an 'all volunteer' community if they did that. Do they really want people in charge of a nuclear reactor who really don't want to be there? Another question, does anyone know what could happen if you fail out of nuke school... can you switch to aviation?

I was in this boat a few weeks ago so I know how you feel. That being said, you signed up to be an officer not an aviator. Like it or not there are too many SNA selects and not enough submarine officers. I would be wary of intentionally bombing the interview, I don't think the Admiral would look kindly upon that. Just level with him when you get a chance and hopefully he'll let you go on your way. If not, I hope that you put the same effort into being a submarine officer that you would have put into flight school. Good luck.

PS- There was a sub draft in 1980.

Meatloaf

pilot
I just got flagged for the same thing... except I'm supposed to commission tomorrow. I had papers for 1390, but my unit has been told to send them back in return for papers for 1170. Everything is even more complicated with the fact that the interview is on the 22nd and my wife is due the 23rd.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
I had class with the CO of our unit and he said that he had been told by the nuke people that they will not force anyone to go nuke. He said as long as I hold my ground and tell them that I have no desire to be a submarine officer I won't have a problem. I do understand that I signed up to be an officer but I also signed up knowing that if I graduated at the top of my class I'd have my first choice of service selection. So I did everything I could to get there. Well I got here and the thought of not being able to do what I've wanted to do since I was in high school simply because I performed too well is ridiculous! It's as though the OML isn't being used! The people at the top get what they want, just like API... top XX% get first choice of platform or whatever it may be. The way the nukes are choosing people to go for these interviews is by taking them off the top of the OML. And I'll bet that draft didn't work out too well for the Navy, I'm sure that most of the people making these decisions are more interested in getting quality officers who are willing and dedicated to being in the submarine community instead of getting that 'instant gratification' of getting the number. In the words of our CO 'If you want it bad you'll get it bad'. This whole situation 'really grinds my gears'

jacoblag - I Hope you don't miss the birth of your child and an early congrats on your commissioning. I'm in a similar situation but not as close in time... I'm supposed to get married on the 25th of May and we've got rehearsal on the 23rd... ...so hopefully my flight gets back in time!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got to go down to Washington too. I heard that 38 out of the 40 Mids from the Academy they sent down there "voluntarily" switched. The remaining two were "thanked" for their time and dismissed. I don't know what they're telling people down their but 38 out of 40 is impressive.

Where'd you hear this from? They did ask a couple of people to do their nuke interviews, but no one was forced to switch. All you had to do was say that you weren't interested. I have a friend here that did that and got SNA, and he is a prior nuke, so if they didn't "volunteer" him then they didn't volunteer anyone.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Some email my adviser (a LT) and my CO were showing us concerning this whole issue mentioned the 38 out of 40. I'm not sure who it was from but next time I'm down there I'll see if I can find out who that email was from.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Ok, so I know this sounds really shady, but I can't tell you who sent this email about the 38 out of 40 mids, but I do know who it was, and can assure you it was from a reputable source

gotta_fly

pilot
We were told in class today that we should have our exact dates sometime next week, with orders shortly thereafter.

Has there been any follow-up statement on this? This is getting to be rigoddamndiculous. Some of my future SWO friends already have report dates, and I've known where I'm going for 4 months more than they have.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Has there been any follow-up statement on this? This is getting to be rigoddamndiculous. Some of my future SWO friends already have report dates, and I've known where I'm going for 4 months more than they have.

They're much more time-critical than we are. Relax, the Navy hasn't forgotten about you! You're getting ready to start a paid vacation. ;)