• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

03AUG2020 PILOT/ NFO BOARD (REDUX)

miss1ng

pilot
Guys, the weather is pretty cold here on base in Newport (20s - 30s). Definitely bring winter clothes like long pants, sweatshirt, hat, and gloves. If you don't bring long pants/sweatshirt you will have to order them from amazon when you get here. Also bring laundry detergent pods to do laundry while in ROM and shampoo and soap or you will also have to order from amazon. Also, expect to have PT twice a day on the track. The meals aren't too bad either, no complaints from me. They have us doing some online coursework too so its not been too boring.

ANOTHER NOTE: You have to make accommodations for hotel if you arrive in Newport before Sunday. My recruiter told me I didn't need to, but he was wrong. There is a hotel on base and I was lucky that I arrived early enough that they were able to fit me in. Also, make sure to bring enough cash for the taxi from the airport. Mine costed about $110. Apparently none of the transportation vehicles are allowed on base so an UBER will work too and will probably be cheaper. And if you can, bring a few voided checks. You can avoid having to write down your banking information 50 times. One last thing, you are allowed to have personal electronics like laptops, tablets, etc. during ROM. Wifi isn't too bad and costs $15 a week.

Someone on our group chat said the PT is on your own, is that correct? Or is it organized PT where you're being told what to do by an instructor?

Also, where do you stay in ROM and what does a typical day look like? Is it just a single room and a communal bathroom? Or how does it work?

goeagles

Someone on our group chat said the PT is on your own, is that correct? Or is it organized PT where you're being told what to do by an instructor?

Also, where do you stay in ROM and what does a typical day look like? Is it just a single room and a communal bathroom? Or how does it work?
Morning PT at 0800 is on your own. Afternoon PT at 1300 for us is being lead by an athletic trainer. Its more of stretches and stuff than a high intensity workout. Each PT session starts off with group stretches and finishes with group stretches (even the afternoon ones) so you get about 40 minutes of an actual workout.

For ROM, we are staying in the same building (I think) that we will be for a while. The room has 2 beds, 2 desks with computers, a bathroom, and a sink, and a door that leads to a shared shower with another room. Most people have roomates, a few people are alone.

A typical day so far has been waking up around 0500, breakfast at 0630, PT at 0830, online coursework, lunch around 1130, PT 1300, online coursework, dinner around 0430, online coursework, studying appendix bravo and other things, bed around 9-10.

I heard alot about being bored here, but our days have been packed so far. Theres been alot of paperwork and the online courses have been taking a while. Its only the 2nd day of ROM for me, but I haven't had any downtime yet.

Guys, the weather is pretty cold here on base in Newport (20s - 30s). Definitely bring winter clothes like long pants, sweatshirt, hat, and gloves. If you don't bring long pants/sweatshirt you will have to order them from amazon when you get here. Also bring laundry detergent pods to do laundry while in ROM and shampoo and soap or you will also have to order from amazon. Also, expect to have PT twice a day on the track. The meals aren't too bad either, no complaints from me. They have us doing some online coursework too so its not been too boring.

ANOTHER NOTE: You have to make accommodations for hotel if you arrive in Newport before Sunday. My recruiter told me I didn't need to, but he was wrong. There is a hotel on base and I was lucky that I arrived early enough that they were able to fit me in. Also, make sure to bring enough cash for the taxi from the airport. Mine costed about $110. Apparently none of the transportation vehicles are allowed on base so an UBER will work too and will probably be cheaper. And if you can, bring a few voided checks. You can avoid having to write down your banking information 50 times. One last thing, you are allowed to have personal electronics like laptops, tablets, etc. during ROM. Wifi isn't too bad and costs $15 a week.
What about cell phones?

KremPaps

Morning PT at 0800 is on your own. Afternoon PT at 1300 for us is being lead by an athletic trainer. Its more of stretches and stuff than a high intensity workout. Each PT session starts off with group stretches and finishes with group stretches (even the afternoon ones) so you get about 40 minutes of an actual workout.

For ROM, we are staying in the same building (I think) that we will be for a while. The room has 2 beds, 2 desks with computers, a bathroom, and a sink, and a door that leads to a shared shower with another room. Most people have roomates, a few people are alone.

A typical day so far has been waking up around 0500, breakfast at 0630, PT at 0830, online coursework, lunch around 1130, PT 1300, online coursework, dinner around 0430, online coursework, studying appendix bravo and other things, bed around 9-10.

I heard alot about being bored here, but our days have been packed so far. Theres been alot of paperwork and the online courses have been taking a while. Its only the 2nd day of ROM for me, but I haven't had any downtime yet.

Sounds like for ROM they have you staying in Nimitz? Prior to covid they said to bringing 1 week of hygiene products, toiletries, etc. Should we now plan to bring 3 weeks of those things?

goeagles

Sounds like for ROM they have you staying in Nimitz? Prior to covid they said to bringing 1 week of hygiene products, toiletries, etc. Should we now plan to bring 3 weeks of those things?
I brought enough to last for a while. Definitely bring enough for the 2 weeks of ROM. You can also order things online though. I've gotten a few packages already. And another thing, definitely bring shower shoes. I forgot and it sucks.

miss1ng

pilot

I forgot to ask but is your roommate for ROM also your roommate for OCS? Or will you be rearranged?

Ok now i'm confused. How are people getting FINSEL's for April lol. I'm scheduled for March and haven't heard anything.
Well, the email from my recruiter was titled final select letter. It was a letter from a LT saying congrats and all this other stuff and then it had my date on it of April 4 for processing. So, maybe this wasn’t the actual FINSEL, not sure what it actually looks like. Was just going off of what my recruiters email subject was.