• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

OC/EMC

Rob, Thanks for the heads up with the UNF info. One other question. When you put your package in, how many LORs did you have? Right now i have 1 Admiral, 2 Captain and 1 air force major unit commander. I havent really heard of anyone having too much or too little. At the same time i dont want to over fluff the package, you know what i mean?

My first package had none, and I was an alternate. My second year had one, and it was from my previous C.O. who transferred a few months before my package was put together. Personally, i believe that you can have too many, but thats only my opinion. What 'too many' is, is up for debate, but it shouldn't be the focus of your package. Everything in moderation.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how they come up with this "pre-board score". I've seen a couple people mention it but have seen nothing official.

EM1(SW/AW) Hab

Hey, some advice for all you FY12 guys/gals out there. First, make sure you have applied to some schools BEFORE the results come out even. All this stuff takes time and you dont want to end up in a school you really didnt want to go to. Second, prepare for BOOT CAMP! NSI is a little bit like college, but you don't get a lot of time to study and stuff because you have room inspections, uniform inspections, and compartment inspections. For the most part we organize ourselves into companies then squads and run it ourselves, however we have a RDC who loves to give us extra training if you know what I mean. If you have pride before you get here, leave it at home. Be ready for them to take away your cell phone, coffee, sweets, civilian anything, electronics, and pretty much anything else for some time. Not trying to scare you guys, but I personally just wished someone would have told us the truth before we got here. Later!

OC/EMC

Hey, some advice for all you FY12 guys/gals out there. First, make sure you have applied to some schools BEFORE the results come out even. All this stuff takes time and you dont want to end up in a school you really didnt want to go to. Second, prepare for BOOT CAMP! NSI is a little bit like college, but you don't get a lot of time to study and stuff because you have room inspections, uniform inspections, and compartment inspections. For the most part we organize ourselves into companies then squads and run it ourselves, however we have a RDC who loves to give us extra training if you know what I mean. If you have pride before you get here, leave it at home. Be ready for them to take away your cell phone, coffee, sweets, civilian anything, electronics, and pretty much anything else for some time. Not trying to scare you guys, but I personally just wished someone would have told us the truth before we got here. Later!

Sorry to hear you guys are feeling the pinch, but the people who help put on NSI change so often that there really isn't a set way to deal with it. Some years the senior enlisted were pretty laid back; no RDC's to speak of. The LT. in charge was a high standards guy, but he was there to get you ready to be an officer. Talking with more senior STA-21 people, their time up at Newport was a joke; Cell-phones were not to be seen or heard, but... People brought laptop computers and again, it was an out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing. My NSI class had different Chiefs in charge than the summer NSI class behind us. Personally, I believe that NSI is one of those after-thoughts that OTC has around late January time frame. Some LT or LCDR gets stuck with running the program for half the year, then everything kinda crumbles and disintegrates before it has to be reinvented for the next year. It is almost like a collateral duty it seems.

It is what it is for your class, and your class only.

Smile, it will be done before you know it and you will be laughing about it in a few months.

haubby

None
Contributor
Doesn't sound like wlawr005 or my experience with NSI at all. I think by this time we were going to the Sportsmen after a long day of classes (cough, cough). Only thing I can say is… 4 weeks left...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Our commissioning got moved up to the 6th...so that takes care of one day.

schmendog

Good luck to everyone! Im real excited to drop my package this year, should of done it last year but couldn't get out of my comfort zone because I love my job, but I know flying is my #1 priority now. Just curious for the guys who really know about this stuff how good of a chance do you think I have this year? Info is:

NAC/AW/SW
Evals: EP,EP,EP,MP,MP
Associates degree
NAM x 2, Flag LOC, 3 deployments
Age 26, turning 27 July 2nd (main concern for applying to pilot program)
Recommendation letters from 2 LTs and 1 LCDR all who know me well and I fly with, and have deployed with.
taking SAT's and ASTB next week

Thanks for the help! And good luck to everyone.

schmendog

Fy-12

Good Luck to everyone this year, I know its tough but Im pretty damn excited to submit my package. Anyone with experience on this stuff can answer this, what portion, besides the CO's recommendation, do you think they look at the most?

-Ken
AWS2 NAC

Smirnoff

pilot
There really isn't one thing the board focuses on. Its a big picture of a candidate. They use a point system, and depending on things like warfare qualifications, evals, college credits, SAT/ACT scores = ensign or not. College credits and break out extra duties are key to standing out. Good Luck.

"6 weeks until commissioning"

Beefalo

When do most commands do their interviews? I still need to take the ACT so I know time is winding down. Dont know if my ACT score will get back in time for the interview boards.

That_1_Dud3

Just got my SAT results back last week. Didn't do as well as I wanted, but solid enough. Now to move onto the ASTB...

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Just got my SAT results back last week. Didn't do as well as I wanted, but solid enough. Now to move onto the ASTB...

When did you take the SAT? They told us at the Navy College Office that it would take 8 weeks to get our results back but that just seems crazy.